Date: 16-04-24  Time: 09:15 am

Author Topic: Logbook Query  (Read 1151 times)

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Logbook Query
« on: 23 July 2018, 08:21:52 pm »
Hi guys,
I'm looking into buying an FZS600 that has been off road a while.
I asked for the reg so I could run a check on it and it's coming back as a different colour, it is a 1999 bike but shows as registered in 2012.
In the special notes at the bottom it says 'Was registered and/or used elsewhere in the UK. Declared manufactured in 1999'.
Date of registration is 1999, date of first registration in the UK is 2012, does this make it an import?
I was thinking maybe Guernsey or Jersey or possibly France?
It's also on the V5 that the body type is Scooter Combination, and taxation class is Bicycle, can someone confirm what these should be for an FZS600? I thought they were Sports Tourer or something like that?
Just want to clear these things up before I commit to anything and to ask if anyone knows if the details are wrong can it be easily changed?
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2018, 08:23:51 pm by Northern Biker »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Logbook Query
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2018, 10:33:21 pm »
The taxation class for all motorcycles is "Bicycle."

I had a bike that was from Ireland, it was registered in England at a later date and had all that gumph on the log book too. It wasn't classed as an import.

Colour change isn't something to be worried about - It's likely had a change of tank/plastics or maybe even a respray and the owner hasn't told DVLA. It needs correcting but it's only a matter of telling the DVLA, there is no cost.

The main thing is to check the frame and engine numbers very carefully. If anything looks dodgy just walk away.

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2018, 01:39:39 am »
Hadn't thought about Ireland, good shout.
I thought the taxation class should have been Motorcycle, my mistake  :lol

Clocks look original and are in MPH, no discrepancies are flagging up with old MOT's in regards to mileage and everything tallies up.
Already checked frame and engine numbers against the V5 and all seems to be ok in that respect.
Appreciate the reply, thanks.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2018, 07:13:03 pm »
It's also on the V5 that the body type is Scooter Combination

That should be 'MOTORCYCLE'

Isn't 'Scooter Combination' for trikes?.

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2018, 10:31:19 pm »
That should be 'MOTORCYCLE'

Isn't 'Scooter Combination' for trikes?.

I didn't think it was right  :lol
How difficult would any discrepancies on the V5 be to change? Would it have to be through DVLA or VOSA?
I'd imagine there will be a few hoops to jump through and some kind of hefty fee along the way  :rolleyes

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2018, 08:34:09 am »
How difficult would any discrepancies on the V5 be to change? Would it have to be through DVLA or VOSA?
I'd imagine there will be a few hoops to jump through and some kind of hefty fee along the way  :rolleyes

It really depends on if there is a box on the V5 you can update and send off. Looing at one I have here, box 20 just needs to be updated.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2018, 06:30:46 pm »
Thanks BBROWN1664.
For anyone having this issue in future I just found out I would need to send off a form V70 with the V5 filled in with any changes marked on it, a current MOT certificate plus a cheque for any difference in tax rates and they should be able to make the changes.
Sounds too easy!
Thanks for the advice all, much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 25 July 2018, 06:31:32 pm by Northern Biker »