Date: 25-04-24  Time: 02:59 am

Author Topic: Test rides  (Read 2246 times)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Test rides
« Reply #25 on: 24 July 2018, 09:23:54 pm »
Took the old bike for it’s MOT today.  Passed nae bother.

While it was being MOTed I wandered doon tae the Honda dealer a few streets away.  The new CB1000R looks smashing.  They had a demo model too.

So after my MOT, I thought I’d have a sniff around another dealer or two.  Wandered into the new Triumph dealer just outside Glasgow (no signs of austerity here - focs sake!).  I’m taken with the street triple rs.  I mean it looks good, it’s seriously light, I mean seriously light, the riding position seems easy going enough and the figures suggest it should have plenty of poke.  One wonders if this bike is trying to make litre and litre plus nakeds redundant.

Anyway sales person came over.  Next thing I know he’s offering me a test ride, but he needed my NI number as well as my license apparently – so was no go today.  Seeing as I almost ended up on a test ride I thought I’d ask about the insurance position.  He said we check your license, if it’s valid and you’ve been riding over a year, you got a valid NI number, then off you go insured by us.  OK says I, what about the excess – noting this information wasn’t automatically offered – 2 grand he says.  2 foccing grand! Foc me.

So just wondering – is that typical.  What’s the going rate?

Anyway bikes I’m drooling over, and in order of preference;
CB1000R
Street Triple RS  (though comes with silly track day tyres)
MT10

Getting back to the original point here, surely if the dealer had faild to mention the excess, and you subsequently binned the bike on the test ride, then his failure to mention absolves you from the excess charge

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 July 2018, 09:35:41 pm »
Took the old bike for it’s MOT today.  Passed nae bother.

While it was being MOTed I wandered doon tae the Honda dealer a few streets away.  The new CB1000R looks smashing.  They had a demo model too.

So after my MOT, I thought I’d have a sniff around another dealer or two.  Wandered into the new Triumph dealer just outside Glasgow (no signs of austerity here - focs sake!).  I’m taken with the street triple rs.  I mean it looks good, it’s seriously light, I mean seriously light, the riding position seems easy going enough and the figures suggest it should have plenty of poke.  One wonders if this bike is trying to make litre and litre plus nakeds redundant.

Anyway sales person came over.  Next thing I know he’s offering me a test ride, but he needed my NI number as well as my license apparently – so was no go today.  Seeing as I almost ended up on a test ride I thought I’d ask about the insurance position.  He said we check your license, if it’s valid and you’ve been riding over a year, you got a valid NI number, then off you go insured by us.  OK says I, what about the excess – noting this information wasn’t automatically offered – 2 grand he says.  2 foccing grand! Foc me.

So just wondering – is that typical.  What’s the going rate?

Anyway bikes I’m drooling over, and in order of preference;
CB1000R
Street Triple RS  (though comes with silly track day tyres)
MT10

Getting back to the original point here, surely if the dealer had faild to mention the excess, and you subsequently binned the bike on the test ride, then his failure to mention absolves you from the excess charge
Its all in the small print on the form that you sign before you ride
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 July 2018, 10:03:29 pm »
Ahha. There was no mention of form signing. Guess you just gotta read the small print