Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:54 pm

Author Topic: Aftermarket levers  (Read 2029 times)

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
Aftermarket levers
« on: 18 July 2018, 04:05:09 pm »
just wanted to know other people's opinions on the very different pricing for aftermarket levers, do I go for the expensive £100 a lever  :eek  asv levers which I'm sure must be quality or the cheap Chinese levers which look pretty much the same but are under £20 a pair! Or others at around £60 a pair... such a massive difference for what I suppose is just a small piece of milled metal but saying that you wouldn't want your brake lever to snap or fall off going into a bend of summat. Anyone got either cheap or expensive ones or have any input?

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Aftermarket levers
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2018, 04:52:30 pm »
If anyone pays £100 per lever they have got more money than sense. £60 is OTT too.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2018, 06:52:08 pm »
I've got the 20 quid Chinese copies, been on the bike 2 years odd, fitted ok, work ok,decent range of adjustment. At the time I was a bit sceptical, but read an article on a Suzuki forum, where a metallurgist tested the strength of oe levers against Pazzo and Chinese copies. The Pazzos came out top with the copies second. That was good enough for me. :)
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2018, 07:10:16 pm »
Ok that sounds good to me, I was worried as I bought a cheap tap and die set before and it turned out the tool handle was made of Emmental mixed with a Victoria sponge... The asv ones look great but are crazy money, was looking at the pazzo but only saw stubbies which I'm fine with for the brake as I only use two fingers but I need three fingers for the clutch to be comfortable. Reno do a pair for 60 squid but again just seeing stubby.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2018, 07:22:33 pm »
Cheapo Chinese ones are fine as long as you have are willing to shim them and possibly replace any bolts every now and again. I had a set on my Thundercat for 2 years and once fitted correctly they were great. At first the clutch didn't fit and both levers had quite a bit of vertical play. I used the bushing from the original levers to solve the first problem and a couple of washers solved the second so still not expensive.

I've got pazzos on my current bike and by all accounts they aren't any different. Just have a better finish which I suspect will last longer.
I've seen plenty of Red Chinese levers turn pink after a few months in the sun haha

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2018, 07:55:40 am »
I have v-trec levers on my thou and it says in the instructions to use the bushings from the originals, they are a good lever, more expensive than cheaper ones but less expensive than expensive ones :D .

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2018, 10:11:30 am »
Got Chinese levers on my 600, as said using bushes from original. Perfect fit, comfortable, brilliant quality.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2018, 10:25:05 am »
I got mine from www.the2wheels.com if that's any help. Choice of colours obviously, both lever lengths and 7 span settings, and as previously mentioned use the original bushes.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2018, 11:01:55 am »
I've used both cheap Chinese and moderately expensive Titax levers. I actually had more problems fitting the Titax levers and ended up having to drill one out to take the OEM spacer which I wasn't impressed with. The Chinese lever needed the OEM  spacer to fit but that was all. In operation I can't tell the difference, no issues with clutch slip with either, quality wise the anodising on the Chinese levers did start to discolour slightly with the black mountings taking on a purplish tinge but you'd have to look hard to notice it. Personally I'd be happy enough to have another set of Chinese levers but they do take weeks to arrive which can be an issue of you let the bike fall off the side stand and break one  :oops  I'd hazrd a guess that most mid range (~£40) levers you get from re-sellers are just the same Chinese ones packaged up with a hefty mark-up.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2018, 08:09:15 pm »
Well you've all put my mind at ease about not having to spend a fortune on overly expensive levers which considering I've just spent a load on a near pristine stock fazer thou then bought a shock off Devilsyam and now need a custom seat, exhaust, bars, levers, belly pan etc any saving I can make is helpful. As I'm trying to make this bike as sexy and quality as possible I think I'm going to go for a pair of Rezo levers at £60 for the pair I just hope the red doesn't fade to pink  :lol

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 July 2018, 05:50:22 pm »
I have some renthal 758s in Black that would set those red levers off nicely.
Would prefer not to post though but would do if I have to.
Am in Surrey.

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 July 2018, 07:09:23 pm »
If anyone pays £100 per lever they have got more money than sense. £60 is OTT too.

Love my ASV's and no I haven't.  :)

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2018, 05:09:07 am »

:rollin  You may not have a lot of money but that doesn't mean you've got sense either   :rollin

I spend money on some stupid things so I can't exactly say anything about sense...

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2018, 09:18:33 am »
See this thread before you buy anything  -

- http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=24200.msg280796#msg280796

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 July 2018, 10:37:19 am »

:rollin  You may not have a lot of money but that doesn't mean you've got sense either   :rollin

I spend money on some stupid things so I can't exactly say anything about sense...

On reflection, I've always prided myself with common sense but I need to now add, with everything but my bikes.  ;)

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 July 2018, 06:12:15 pm »
Thanks kenbob, I've actually already bought some black renthal 755 bars which are currently at an engineering place being tapped to accept the heavy R&G bar ends. I prefer the raised position of the standard bars just want them longer! I currently have two fzs1000's one with 755's and Chinese levers and one completely stock and the stock one just doesn't feel right compared to the modded one but as I bought the stock one for its near pristine condition and colour scheme I don't want to put anything cheap on it so red Reso levers and black bars it is.

B1k3rdude thanks for that link, an interesting read. I've already ordered the Reso levers so hopefully it will work out ok. I have noticed on my fazer with the Chinese levers that I can't adjust the lever to close to the bars and retain proper clutch movement which most obviously manifests itself in difficultly engaging neutral but as for control and feel I think the aftermarket levers are better as long as you're careful with their set up.

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 July 2018, 11:25:22 pm »
I have v-trec levers on my thou and it says in the instructions to use the bushings from the originals, they are a good lever, more expensive than cheaper ones but less expensive than expensive ones :D .

I have the V-Trec ones on my Gen.1 Thou and whilst I don't have an issue with the quality of them I don't find the range of adjustment on them that great, I have small hands so I'd like the clutch lever to come back the equivalent of an extra click or two. :)

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 July 2018, 05:24:10 pm »
My Reso levers arrived and I've just fitted them, quality looks really good and appearance is also real nice. I had to use the bushing from the original clutch but other than that no shimming or mucking about just a straight swap. Brake fits perfectly without the need for any of the original bushing or shims. Adjustments seem good but I've not taken the bike out yet so only going on how it feels in the garage. So far for £60 I think they're pretty good, look gorgeous!

happycallis

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 July 2018, 09:02:04 am »
How easy is it to get the original bush out of the clutch lever?

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2018, 11:21:15 am »
How easy is it to get the original bush out of the clutch lever?
Very, it's not a tight fit.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 July 2018, 12:15:40 pm »
Yeah very easy, I used a vice and two sockets one slightly smaller than the bush to push it and one larger to receive it. It took no pressure at all really, I probably could've just tapped it out with a mallet.