Author Topic: Noise  (Read 6813 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Noise
« Reply #25 on: 04 August 2018, 03:00:11 pm »

I changed the cush drive rubbers a few years ago just for the sake of it, but the ones i removed looked like fine anyway.
If it was rear wheel bearings would i not hear "something" spinning the wheel on the centre stand?
It spins very freely either way, with no binding or anything going on.

I'm quite particular about wheel bearings, as I've had a set fail catastrophically in far less than ideal conditions before. I also checked mine more recently (different bike) just using the "excess movement, spin wheel, check it spins freely, listen for noise" method. Seemed fine. Shortly after, took the bike for a service to have a bearing found to be on the edge of failure. What mileage is on the current bearings?

Remember that when you just spin the wheel by hand to check, the wheel is not under the load it would be from the engine, clutch out.

Don't really know, i had seized disc bolts, then one snapped inside the wheel, so i just replaced the wheel.
That was 7 years and 20,000 miles ago though.

I am beginning to suspect the noise is from the middle of the bike, it doesn't really sound like it's behind me.

One thing that has crossed my mind though, if the chain slide gets very worn is it possible that the chain could rub somewhere on the metal of the swingarm?
If this was possible then i'm guessing it will only get louder and louder as time goes on.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2018, 08:21:41 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Noise (chain)
« Reply #26 on: 04 August 2018, 03:16:29 pm »

Don't really know, i had seized disc bolts, then one snapped inside the wheel, so i just replaced the wheel.

I am beginning to suspect the noise is from the middle of the bike, it doesn't really sound like it's behind me.

One thing that has crossed my mind though, if the chain slide gets very worn is it possible that the chain could rub somewhere on the metal of the swingarm?
If this was possible then i'm guessing it will only get louder and louder as time goes on.

I'd be inclined to change the wheel bearings out anyway in that case. Not like it's a mega expensive thing to do, and then you know where you're at with them. Trust me, you don't want them to fail on you on the approach to the Dartford Tunnel at rush hour  :lol

I have learned from the fairing infill panels on the Fazer thou that what a noise is and where it's coming from can be a real puzzle, and not to trust where I think it's coming from  :lol

If the chain has worn through a slider/guide and is rubbing on metal, that should be easy enough to verify by sight?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 August 2018, 10:35:46 am »
So you have done 20k on it but how many had already been put on it, or possibly it had already had some new bearings put in but of questionable quality ? 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 August 2018, 03:11:20 pm »
So you have done 20k on it but how many had already been put on it, or possibly it had already had some new bearings put in but of questionable quality ?

I'm gonna be bold and say it's not the bearings that are the problem.
It's from around the middle of the bike, ie: the chain area, where the noise is coming from, and although the noise quietens down when the clutch is pulled in i can't understand why wheel bearings would go silent.
I've had knackered bearings on previous bikes before and they've never made a rubbing sound, they tend to either make a high pitched squeak or grinding noise when they're on their way out.
There's no movement in the rear wheel whatsoever, and when i spin it forwards or backwards it rotates totally freely with no noises at all and no binding with the pads. Same as the front wheel as well.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 August 2018, 05:16:26 pm »
What about the sprocket carrier or swingarm bearing?

« Last Edit: 05 August 2018, 05:17:54 pm by NorthWestern »
Intentionally left blank

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 05 August 2018, 05:50:04 pm »
If it goes away when the clutch lever is pulled in then it sounds like normal thrust bearing rumble to me which is common on four cylinder bikes and nothing to worry about. I had it years ago on a Thundercat and was told that this is common by a Yamaha main dealer. I never worried about it again and put another 30k on the bike before I part-ex'd it.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 August 2018, 08:20:35 pm »
Might be getting somewhere with this now at last.
Popped round my mates house for a second opinion, and with a tiny bit of load on the throttle to stop the chain jumping about we both had a listen with the bike on the centre stand.

I noticed that there were a few drips of coolant coming out from the water pump area.
So now as well as a dodgy O ring i’m wondering if there’s an issue with the impeller, which could well be the cause of the noise i’m hearing?
I had one go on me before on my old bike, although i don’t know if they are metal fins or plastic on these bikes?
That could explain the noise from around the front sprocket area as well as it’s right next to it.
Plus the fan came on yesterday, and today as well, when trying to listen for the noise so that’s another sign something’s wrong. Bloody thing made me jump, i can’t remember the last time i heard how loud it was.  :lol

I took tomorrow off to do an oil change and carb balance as i’m working this weekend, but now i can’t do that as the bike will overheat.
I’ve ordered another pump and seal though.

But not to worry, my day won’t be wasted as i now have a leak somwhere in my new rear tyre as well :'(
It’s not a puncture, it’s either the valve again or the rims leaking, but i put 40psi in this morning and it was 30psi this evening, so it has to be sorted asap.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 August 2018, 06:12:04 am »
"...On the fzs600, the oil pump is gear driven on the right hand side of the engine behind the clutch.. It has a shaft only that goes through the engine and drives the water pump on the other side. 2 separate components although sharing a shaft..."

Just read this on another page on here (courtesy of Bretty), would this mean the oil and water pumps both disengage when the clutch is pulled in?
If they do then that would further enhance the chance that it's a water pump problem, as the noise goes away when i use the clutch, plus it's not an instant shut off, it sounds like a very quick winding down which could be the impeller blades slowing down as they are not being driven for a split second.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2018, 06:14:42 am by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 August 2018, 01:38:13 pm »
Spoke to a mechanic earlier when getting my tyre sorted, and apparently the oil/water pumps don't disengage when the clutch is pulled in.
But then it got me thinking, when i pull the clutch in i shut the throttle off as well so that would slow the water pump impeller, albeit for a split second, but enough to lessen the noise.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 August 2018, 02:28:30 pm »
I remember when I was changing my coolant that I waited over 10 mins on tick over and got bored waiting for the fan to come on and so gave up. Fazers are renowned for people not ever remembering the fans to come on, not even hot weather in traffic --- are they not ? And yet yours came on seemingly so readily. You may be on to something.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11 August 2018, 09:15:11 am »
Don't even know what made me do it, but i was reversing the bike down the alley between my house and next door and decided to give the throttle a bit of constant high revving as the sound between the houses becomes louder, and the whirring noise appeared at steady revs.
So it's seeming like the water pump is the favourite to be the culprit, as the non moving chain can now be ruled out completely.

As much as i want to go and get on with it all now, as i have all the parts and liquids i need, i'm on standby for work for today and tomorrow so i've booked Wednesday off to hopefully get everything fixed. Plus it "shouldn't" rain that day either.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 August 2018, 12:30:07 am »
Watch this space, i spent 5.5hrs working on the bike today!
I ain't no mechanic, but i like to do things right.
Whether i got rid of "the noise", i don't know yet, but i will tomorrow?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 August 2018, 01:55:31 pm »
So yesterday gave the bike a bit of TLC at a leisurely pace on my day off.

Changed the leaking water pump, did a Radflush, then new coolant, oil change, carb balance, and gave the bike a good clean up.

Bike felt lovely to ride this morning on the way to work, the carbs were quite out of balance but are all level now and it really does make a noticeable difference, especially at low speeds.

Shame the bloody noise is still there though  :'(

I checked over the chain again and the sprocket whilst cleaning all the shite out of the clutch cover and it does all look good to me, plus it’s aligned properly with no tight links whatsoever with the correct slack.
Which now does point back to chain noise again, but i’m wondering now if my over sensitive hearing is just picking up the whirring sound and i’m gonna have to try and ignore it.
I’m cerainly not gonna change the chain and sprockets for the sake of it, ‘cos they all look perfectly fine, so unless the noise takes a turn for the worse then i’m gonna leave it alone now.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 August 2018, 09:27:08 pm »
Put the bike on the centre stand again and shoved it 2nd gear with a pinch of throttle, the noise is like a vibrating buzzing but sounded like it was coming from the top end of the engine.

Any ideas people, it's starting to worry me a bit now?

Bike is running lovely, apart from the noise, but this is becoming bothersome.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 August 2018, 11:41:34 pm »
Could it be something as simple as some piece of bodywork or something buzzing? The thou's fairing liner panels are notorious for it, and it's hard to pinpoint when you don't know what it is. Sounds like impending doom too, and all it needs is a bit of extra foam to damp it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 August 2018, 07:36:41 am »
Could it be something as simple as some piece of bodywork or something buzzing? The thou's fairing liner panels are notorious for it, and it's hard to pinpoint when you don't know what it is. Sounds like impending doom too, and all it needs is a bit of extra foam to damp it.

I have considered a vibration issue, and i was actually thinking it might be my metal radiator cover.
But after taking my lid off and sticking my ear near the engine it does sound internal when i get the right revs, and towards the top end of the engine.
I'm starting to get minor cam chain rattle again as well now, but i'm used to that noise and it's probably just between clicks. Remember i only commute on it so it takes a lot longer for the tensioner to go to the next notch 'cos i'm very rarely doing any motorway runs or ragging it at all, just going to and from work in traffic.

Noise still disappears when the clutch is pulled in, but if i shut off the throttle and let the engine slow the bike down the noise is still there.
I also found that i can hear it most down side roads when i'm riding in between parked cars, the sound is much more obvious.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 August 2018, 08:53:19 am »
A minor exhaust blow? Checked the tightness of the header pipe nuts, and the seal?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 22 August 2018, 06:24:21 am »
A minor exhaust blow? Checked the tightness of the header pipe nuts, and the seal?

Hmmm, that's a good shout, i'll look into that later and let you know!

Been a long time since the headers were last removed, i'll start spraying the nut & bolts now to reduce my pain levels in case they play up.
I just ordered some copper gaskets as well, it certainly won't hurt to replace them anyway.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2018, 06:53:04 am by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 22 August 2018, 09:13:04 pm »
Had a check of the exhaust nuts, and 7 moved okay so no issues there, but one seems to have gone completely wrong.
10mm socket spins easily over it, but a 9mm is too small.
And of course it's one of the hard to get to ones in the middle.
Looks like it's just rusted and disintegrated away on the outside.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 23 August 2018, 05:54:45 pm »
Try a British size socket - I think a 3/8ths inch is slightly smaller than a 10mm.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 23 August 2018, 07:11:14 pm »
Try a British size socket - I think a 3/8ths inch is slightly smaller than a 10mm.

I’m on call for work all this weekend so not gonna attempt anything until i’m ready to go all out to get the nut off.
I ordered some new nuts today as well. After a lot of searching about i found some at a reasonable price eventually, so i need to wait for them too.
I also have one of those sockets with the pins in that fit to any size nut, if i can get that near it i reckon that’ll get it off.
So weird though how it’s just rusted away.

They wanted £5 each per nut on Ebay, but i found a place up north that does them for £1.52 each.

www.bike-parts-yam.com     

Part number: 901790666800     (90179-06668 is the Yamaha part number per nut)

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 23 August 2018, 07:52:06 pm »
So weird though how it’s just rusted away.

They do that. I'm surprised you only had trouble with one.
When you've found a good fitting socket try heating the nut with a blow torch, just don't forget it's hot and burn your fingers when you put the socket on.
Socket with pins is your 2nd to last resort. Dremel or nut splitter (hammer and chisel) is your last one!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 23 August 2018, 09:15:53 pm »
Why not just replace the original nuts with stainless. Cheaper and they won't rust.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 24 August 2018, 05:57:57 am »
Why not just replace the original nuts with stainless. Cheaper and they won't rust.

It's taken 18 years for this one to rust away, i'll think i'll take the chance, plus these bikes will probably be totally illegal in the future the way things are going  :lol

Plus i was kinda hoping on having something like this instead  :)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 24 August 2018, 08:23:30 am »
Won't have to worry about potholes with one of them.