Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:01 pm

Author Topic: Firing on three..  (Read 2491 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Firing on three..
« on: 14 February 2019, 07:06:18 pm »
coming home from Bristol the bike started misfiring and four stroking and wouldn’t run clean until it hit 5k.. got home, stuck four new plugs in it and it’s still only running on 2,3 and 4 ( pipe cold on one) I guess the next thing is to swap the other lead coming out of the same coil and if it’s still not firing on one it’s simmat I’ve done with the ivanising..😟

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
Re: Firing on three..
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2019, 07:31:05 pm »
That's a bugger Paul!!!
If it was an ivansing fault wouldn't it have manifested itself on the previous rides you've had after doing it?

How are the front forks after Monday? Feeling good I hope.
I haven't had the chance to take mine out yet and I'm away from tomorrow afternoon until Monday at Hard Rock Hell Metal at the O2 Academy in Birmingham, so I will have to wait a bit longer until I can get me knee down  :lol

Thanks again for the lift in your Transit and a great day out.
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2019, 07:46:41 pm »
I dunno mate unless something has worked loose or summat. Penny will get the arse if I have the evening out there tonight so I’ll have a proper look tomorrow

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2019, 07:09:41 am »
When you did the 'Ivanising', Paul, did you also change the float needle valve seat O-rings? 

The symptom you describe is a classic over-filled float bowl rich misfire.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2019, 08:50:14 am »
I did mike but ive got plenty of spare o rings ill pull the carbs and change no1 mate thank you

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2019, 09:59:58 pm »
checked the fuel in the float bowls of one and two by draining them into a aerosol can top and measuring and it was 5mm higher in one so hoping your right mike. have pulled the carbs and changed the o ring, checked over float heights et too ill put it all back tomorrow hopefully its sorted. the old o ring was undamaged but definitely weaker/softer, hoping if thats what is the problem the rest will be ok but if another goes i'll change them all for genuine yam items :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2019, 08:21:36 am »
just got back from walking the dog gonna go put the carbs back on once ive had some cawfee..think i'll take no1 mixture screw out and just blow out the pilot circuit as well just in case I didn't get it all clean enough when I drilled the bypass holes. Ive realised the thing to do when taking these carbs on and off is not look at is as chore, just treat it as enjoyable maintenance, take my time and don't try to rush and make it hard work. Fourth time in and out now lol so im getting quite philosophical about it :D :lol :lol

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2019, 01:47:43 pm »

..and its sorted..thanks mike!
Im starting to look at running the 15year old 40k fazer as like running an old z900 in the nineties lol. which is pretty much how it is.. :lol

Stinka

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2019, 02:48:45 pm »

..and its sorted..thanks mike!
Im starting to look at running the 15year old 40k fazer as like running an old z900 in the nineties lol. which is pretty much how it is.. :lol

What was it then mate ? What did you do ?

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2019, 04:54:43 pm »

it was either a faulty o ring on the inlet valve or a bit of muck in the pilot circuit. I took the mixture screw out and the pilot jet and blew through with compressed air and I thin a bit of debris came out initially but I cant honestly say im sure as it was literally a little black puff of summat then it was clear. I also changed the o ring on the inlet valve on cylinder no1 carb. I think that because when I measured the petrol that came out of no1 carb it was 5mm higher on the ruler than no 2 its more likely to be the o ring as Mike said.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2019, 11:02:40 am »
just got back from walking the dog gonna go put the carbs back on once ive had some cawfee.

I’ll bet you now take less time to get those carbs out and back in than you do to walk the dog. ;)
Hope this is the last time though. :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2019, 11:10:54 am »

Lol aint that the truth! :lol
yeah ta mate I hope so too.that last time, to give me a point of reference I changed the o ring in no 4 too. that way if  cylinder 2 or 3 go the same way i'll know the pack of o rings I bought are prematurely failing. Im hoping it was either just a dodgy o ring or perhaps I didn't exercise enough care fitting it.I do remember back when I ivanised trying to refit the first one I didn't use silicone grease on the alu body the ring sits around initially, and it wouldn't push in. I then greased it and fitted it, but I should have changed the o ring first as I could have guillotined a tiny bit off its tiny outer ring face perhaps. It was at the end of the bank where I started so theres a fifty/fifty chance it was cylinder no1.
Im getting to really know my bike at least lol. I kinda like that. And on the shakedown run yesterday with a new bt016 on the rear and refreshed front forks and calipers, I was reminded just how brilliant this bike is. I'll never sell it. Why would I? as it gets older i'll just keep on top of maintenance. Shes worth it...
« Last Edit: 17 February 2019, 11:13:35 am by ogri48 »

Stinka

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2019, 12:57:02 pm »
Awesome mate, glad you’re sorted  :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2019, 02:44:17 pm »
cheers dude. you ever want help getting your carbs in and out im obviously the go to man... ;) :lol :lol :lol

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 February 2019, 08:27:04 am »
Job's a good 'un, Paul.

I had to smile when I read your list of wrinkles you've learned to make getting the carbs out easier.  They're all in the Noddy's Guide I wrote a while ago but they don't really register when you read them and only make sense after you've done the job a few times. :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2019, 09:16:37 am »
I should have read and re read the posts buddy but your right, sometimes you have to physically do something to take it in properly ;) ;)

JBee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Speed Triple 955i 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 March 2019, 06:02:54 pm »
Afternoon all

My miley 1000 has just done the same to me.  Started running on 3, number 2 pipe isn't getting hot.

Iridium plugs aren't cheap :eek  thought it may be a plug, don't know when they were last done.

If I get stuck, could I hit you up for some advice?  I think I'm fairly local to you and it would be useful
to compare with the same bike.  My exup is also apparently pinned open and I'm curious about if it's worth getting it working again.

I know you don't know me from Adam but thought it was worth asking.

Cheers :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 March 2019, 08:27:59 pm »
absolutely dude. no problem..

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 March 2019, 10:27:12 pm »
Measuring the petrol amount when draining the carbs would not be an accurate check as the first carb drained will always have more then the other as it also drains the residual petrol in the supply pipe. If you notice it always takes longer to drain the first.It is vital that the O rings you buy for any part of the carbs are petrol/ethanol resistant not just petrol resistant.
While Buna-N (Nitrile), and Viton© Type A are recommended for petrol they are not recommended for ethanol.
To be completely safe the best petrol/ethanol resistant seals are Viton® Extreme, Teflon® or Perfluoroelastomer.
Found this out when trying to sort out the carbs for my brother-in-laws 350Four Honda.  He had bought Nitrile O rings like he was told and had a lot of carb problems until we replaced the O rings with the proper ones. The garage he uses changed hands and there new fuel suppliers have something like 10% ethanol in the petrol and the problems started shortly after this change
Carbs are back on my work bench again, but thankfully it was dirt getting through the tank filter and fitting an see through inline filter should hopefully solve that .

JBee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Speed Triple 955i 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 March 2019, 11:38:07 pm »
absolutely dude. no problem..

Ta muchly, might take you up on that. :)