Date: 16-04-24  Time: 06:52 am

Author Topic: Airbox MOD Idea  (Read 1679 times)

Sidewinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Airbox MOD Idea
« on: 08 July 2018, 04:20:21 pm »
Hi guys have been sorting my old gal out today, recharged my K&N filter, cleaned crankcase breather, I even found a filter on my airbox breather pipe I never knew about so yep, I even cleaned that too! whilst cleaning the plugs I started thinking.. hmmm how could I get more air to the box cos the intake opening faces backwards?
I've had a look on the links and the comments on the site but not much really in the way of ideas so..
I was wondering how about some kind of ram air system? I was thinking I could place a cover or 'scoop' looking shroud over the air intake entrance, like I said due to the fact it faces backwards maybe lead a hose to the front of the bike with another scoop facing front collecting shed loads of air when going forward.
What's your thoughts on would it work, I would love to know if it would be of any benefit from all you mechanical minded people out there.
Cheers in advance for your thoughts 
omnia causa fiunt

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Airbox MOD Idea
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2018, 05:07:48 pm »
There's an air box mod that goes with the Ivan's mod for the FZS1000, that involves cutting a part away to increase air flow, coupled with a freer flowing air filter. I've no idea if Ivan's do anything for the 600.
Ram air is not simple to do apparently. Years ago, Kawasaki put many, many hours into developing theirs, and it's about air box capacity, shape, pressures and all kinds of other considerations, so I once read. Not forgetting carb and jetting changes.
When I had my FZR1000EXUP back in the early 90s, I enquired at a tuning firm about modifying to ram air, as I noted all the pipes from the fairing did was direct air onto the cam box. They said they'd had an RC30 in for months, trying to get it to work, dozens of hours spent, and still not sorted properly. Maybe things have moved on since then and more is known by more people about what the essentials are, but I don't think it would be a simple backstreet bodge.

Sidewinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2018, 05:19:58 pm »
Cheers Hedge Trimmer,
That makes a whole lot of sense.
Do you think by just creating more airflow into the intake by using a directional hose with the scoops, one sealed onto the intake the other facing forward so in forward motion more airflow would forced into the box and create a better combustion cycle would give a bit more power?
Listening to your comments about box sizes pressure and shape by just putting more airflow wouldn't work then.
My mate with his motor simply added a great big scoop thing under the bonnet to the front of his car and attached it to his filter box with some kind of propellered whirly gig thing in the middle to increase airflow rate he's claiming better mpg and his car is more responsive.   
Wondered if it would work on my old gal.

« Last Edit: 08 July 2018, 05:27:10 pm by Sidewinder »
omnia causa fiunt

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2018, 05:36:28 pm »
You're still just talking about ram air. As I said, I think it would be a lot more complex than that.
With the Kawasaki 750 Turbo in the 80s, some folks modded things to put a K&N-style cone filter on to the intake, bypassing the standard filter (presumably), and facing directly into the air flow, and I've seen such on other turbocharged bikes, but turbos are a bit different to normally aspirated engines, and I've no idea about the ins and outs of it. Standard air boxes seem to be quite sensitive when you get to such massively increased levels of air flow, as are carbs, which need other mods to make it work - upjetting etc, possibly even different carbs.

But I'm sure there are people here more knowledgeable about these things than I am!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2018, 06:27:51 pm »
The Yamaha Thundercat had ram air induction and the fzs600 has all but the same engine so maybe if your willing to do some modification then there may be some swappable bits or a way to make it work?
If not then just get an extra 400cc, that'll add some power haha

Sidewinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2018, 06:38:46 pm »
I hear ya Hedge Trimmer, I suppose if it was easy it would be done by now.. cheers for your thoughts.
Dudeofrude, PMSL m8 nah sounds like its more trouble than its worth TBH I can get around a motor, I've got my K&N, a stubby delkavic and the carbs been sorted professionally but as far as modding goes if it's not straight forward as bolt on bolt off I'll leave that to the professionals, I guess my m8 got lucky with his MX5 doing what he did, looking at the inlet to the airbox cover facing backwards I just thought if I could do it but on a smaller scale would it make a whole lot of difference?
omnia causa fiunt

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 July 2018, 07:55:41 pm »
I've seen those air intake mods for cars and they look dubious to say the least. If they really do have any positive effect I will be surprised. I know the claims as I have read the same adverts myself but I was informed that unless the fan is independently powered it is merely a fan that moves because of the induction air flow and it doesn't increase pressures etc as claimed.

Unless you really want to get the most out of a 600cc motor by doing loads of mods the easiest modification is to buy a 1000cc bike as previously mentioned.

Sidewinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 July 2018, 08:16:34 pm »
Cheers Hugh Mungus,
I've been thinking about a thou m8 altho my rear seat rev limiter says not at the moment it's not out of the question!
It was seeing the air intake opening facing backwards that started me thinking why? When everyone says increased air flow gives better results.
Then I remembered my mates motor and what he claims about that mod and I thought hmmm I'd throw it out there to you guys.
I see what you mean about having it motorised tho as it is it wouldn't create any additional flow it would just be a fan going round so perhaps its just him thinking it goes faster lol the pratt.
Cheers
« Last Edit: 08 July 2018, 08:26:57 pm by Sidewinder »
omnia causa fiunt

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 July 2018, 08:43:57 pm »
A mate of mine drilled 13 holes into the air-box and claimed it went better - I couldn't keep up with him before the mod anyway so I can't say whether it was any better or not.

Sidewinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 July 2018, 09:05:23 pm »
Hugh,
Based on drilling the box why do you think they put the intake opening facing the rear tyre and not facing front to the carbs?
Now I'm wondering if should get a 2nd hand cover, cut the intake opening out, turn it around reseal it with some silicone and see what happens nice and easy..  :eek 
omnia causa fiunt

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 July 2018, 09:15:27 pm »
Probably because it was to eliminate any ram air effect.
I know my mate was looking into the idea but he shelved it. If the Japanese big four didn't bother maybe it's not worth pursuing.
The main problems I see are that jet sizing would be problematic - If the main jet was too small the mixture would be far too weak and at slower speeds a larger main jet would make it too rich. Bit of a nightmare.

Sidewinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 July 2018, 09:19:24 pm »
Hugh, Yeah I think you're right to knock that idea on the head and I agree if they haven't done and it's not been done b4 there must be a reason.. I will scrap that last comment too, looking at one on Fleabay cutting it out and turning it facing front won't make a blind bit of difference, the carb end of the box would be in the way.. I guess I will leave it alone lol.. t'was just a thought stirred up by my m8's idea on his motor.
Cheers for you replies guys. 
omnia causa fiunt

5LV

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 July 2018, 02:29:12 pm »
Spannered for a bloke with a full v&m tuned fzr400. That came with a ram air system. A car brake scoop was shoved through the rad and 2 flexi hoses fed up over the cam cover into the bottom of the airbox. The original air intake was blocked off.
I surmised that from all the leaks and hot air floating about it was a complete pos.
We isolated the rad bars so no hot air was entering from the rad, then insulated the pipes from the motor and finally sealed the airbox feeds with mastic.
Original power runs were 69, after airbox mods and 're jetting as per RMD spec it went to 74.
Also had an R1 with QUB ram air box...........took 2 days of dyno work to get it running right.
Moral of the story is don't foc with it unless you REALLY know what you're doing!