Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:15 pm

Author Topic: German speed limits.  (Read 1856 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
German speed limits.
« on: 04 July 2018, 01:24:01 pm »
All Germans seem to rigidly adhere to 30 50 70 and 90kph limits. Is the whole country wired for radar.I know the UK gives euro countries speeding drivers details, just wondering how much mail is going to drop on the mat.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: German speed limits.
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2018, 08:00:35 pm »
Probably because the penalties for being caught are quite severe.
Hope you've got some spending money left over...

5LV

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2018, 11:54:59 am »
None is the answer.
In Germany the owner of the vehicle is liable for all infractions. Great if it's a company liveried vehicle, not so good for herman if it's a private overseas vehicle  as our law is different and we have to nominate who the driver was. Mis match of laws screws up cross border revenue chasing, unless you travel to germany regularly, where zey vill be vaiting at ze checkpoint mit ein panzer   

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2018, 09:51:05 am »
Thanks for the replies. I'm back home now, so will be a matter of wait and see. I have read on another forum of fines being delivered to your home address up to 3 months later, but possibly they were for car drivers. Maybe German bikers/motorists are very law abiding whether cameras are present or not, but having to chug along at 50kph in the middle of the countryside just because there's a couple of houses 70 meters from the road, certainly took the edge off the Black Forest for me. Excellent roads though.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2018, 10:45:13 am »
but having to chug along at 50kph in the middle of the countryside just because there's a couple of houses 70 meters from the road, certainly took the edge off the Black Forest for me. Excellent roads though.

I don't know where you were riding, but I saw no cameras, and only one lurking copmobile when I went there, and that was towards the bottom end after the best of it, and cars coming the other way were flashing me warnings. Nor did I see anything on other roads in the region. Had fun, no demands for money followed. Was I just lucky? I'd heard people warning that they'd stepped up the policing recently too, before I went.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2018, 08:50:13 pm »
When you're on the unrestricted autobahn, and a Ferrari comes up behind you doing 160 (mph not kph), you wonder what's it all about :)

5LV

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2018, 02:34:45 pm »
We did the b500/oppenau years back and got the usual flashes from the locals and sure enough the german police were hiding under a crash barrier with the speed gun. Rode on steady for a mile then back up to warp speed.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2018, 05:48:33 pm »
In the 3 days I was there, based near Freudenstadt, I never came across a car or motorcycle that was prepared to exceed the posted limit whether it be 30 50 70 90 or 100kph on the roads I wanted to ride. You could be enjoying a section of twisties only to come across a 50 sign because of a building out in the middle of nowhere. All drivers/riders would scrub off speed to adhere to the 50 until a higher speed limit was posted. Why do they bother doing that unless there's a high risk of radar/average speed detection or some other device that instils such caution. Maybe they're very institutionalised and just don't break rules. Obviously should have gone years ago.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2018, 06:14:39 pm »
They have relatively high number of speed cameras that take photos. So they're trained to go by the speed limit. On top of the fact that they're bloody Germans, of course.

They are mostly considerate drivers and it's generally a nice place for riding.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 July 2018, 11:27:42 pm »
Agree with Slaninar. I've ridden across Germany and Europe a lot, and find them the best and most considerate (apart from the odd knob of course)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2018, 07:38:24 am »
Oh I'm not criticising their driving skills and would agree with the positive comments on that subject. Just the annoying, from my perspective, their adherence to posted speed limits especially in remote areas, giving me the impression that something sinister is going on.
On a slight tangent, I know filtering is not legal in France and Germany, but as many will have found, the French will normally go out of their way to give you some room to filter/overtake. This is not the case I found in Germany. No doubt down to a rigid adherence to being seen to be legal. You're not allowed to filter, so I won't assist you in an illegal act, kind of mindset.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2018, 09:28:44 am »
In Germany, I guess they stick to the limit as they know that a few miles down the road there is a public racetrack (autobahn) where they can get their thrills.

In France, like the UK, I tend to stick to the 30/40/50 etc limits but when you get to the GLF, sorry, NSL signs, I open it up.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 July 2018, 09:56:46 am »
I find in Germany, not only will they not assist filtering, but in stationary traffic they will move over to purposely block you. If you did that in France they would set fire to something.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 July 2018, 11:13:07 am »
The irresponsible answer is, I regularly get flashed in Germany and France (probably flashed 3 or 4 times a year for the last 8years). I've never had a letter, been stopped at a border or toll gate. I know that makes me sound like an idiot, but I'm actually quite a chilled out rider, I just like to make progress when on their wide two lane empty roads.

Getting stopped by the police with a radar gun I'm sure is another story and penalties are servere. Ive heard stories of the police leaving your bike at the side of the road, driving you to a cash machine to pay the fine and leaving you at the cash machine to find your own way back to your bike.

The B500 (in my opinion well overrated) was teaming with police the last time I passed through. Both the Mosel and Rhein valley we didn't see any police and IMO much better roads.

-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 July 2018, 11:31:07 am »

The B500 (in my opinion well overrated) was teaming with police the last time I passed through. Both the Mosel and Rhein valley we didn't see any police and IMO much better roads.

I thought it wasn't bad, but plenty of other nice ones in the region too. I did it partly because so many people rave about it, but agree, it's perhaps overrated. Not a bad route down to Switzerland though, although the Route des Cretes through the Vosges is at least it's equal, though less direct if that's your destination.
But when I did it, teeming with police it wasn't. Luck of the draw then, I suppose.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 July 2018, 12:26:16 pm »
I agree with Hedgetrimmer. There were plenty of enjoyable roads either side of the B500. I had ridden this road a few times in the past, but on these occasions had the wife as pillion, so just wanted to take the opportunity of a solo trip to see what all the fuss was about. Done it now, box ticked. Would be happy to go back to the Vosges region. The Routes des Cretes was excellent, and it's not in Germany :lol .

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #16 on: 10 July 2018, 01:01:57 pm »
For fun - I'd recommend the NORTHERN Italy. They are very considerate to (motor)cyclists, but drive fast. And expect you to filter, always leaving room and NEVER turning into you, opening doors, emptying ashtrays in your face etc. Takes some getting used to, but it's great once you do - doesn't take long. Almost as nice as Germany, but no nonsense sticking to the rules as if they're ingraved in stone.  :)
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 July 2018, 04:24:22 pm »
A definite +1 for northern Italy :thumbup . Only been down as far as San Marino/Rimini, but all very enjoyable. Rossi's home town of Tavullia is on my bucket list, hopefully next year.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 July 2018, 04:45:25 pm »
A definite +1 for northern Italy :thumbup . Only been down as far as San Marino/Rimini, but all very enjoyable. Rossi's home town of Tavullia is on my bucket list, hopefully next year.

Yeah, I'd love to explore more of north Italy. I loved what little I saw of it, but i'm sure I didn't see the best. Had a good ride from Florence to Bologna across the Apennines too, cracking bit of road that was. I'd love to see more of the country generally, but have heard that much isn't so great for the roads. Trouble is, it's a long way to go from the UK.