Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

Front fork springs.

(1/10) > >>

happycallis:
Hey all,

What's everyone's preference for front fork spring kits .I have seen the hyperpro, ohlins, having and so forth. If I temereme rightly one was preferred to the others. I do ride in a spirited manner and will sometimes have a pillion too .

Cheers

Matthew

PieEater:
Your first step is to decide on whether you want progressive or linear springs. With progressive most folks go with Hyperpro so that will be your answer if you choose to go that way.

I chose to go the linear route and if you decide to go that way it is important that you get the right springs for your weight most suppliers will help you with this but there are also some online calculators too. I bought my 10.0 springs, bushes & seals from K-Tech.

If you want help deciding linear vs progressive then I'll get my popcorn out and enjoy the ride  :lurk  (and maybe chip in).

happycallis:
Honestly I'm not sure, I think I was looking at the ktec kit a while back. Chances[size=78%] are I will be pairing it up with the R6 rear shock conversion too. Whats the best for faster road riding. [/size]

PieEater:
For faster road riding and track riding I would suggest linear springs are definitely the way to go  though again make sure you get the right ones for your weight.

Edit:

See http://www.promecha.com.au/springs_advanced.htm

"Progressive springing is much less popular for road-racing, with linear main springs used almost universally. There is a good reason for this: going around corners compresses your suspension, by quite a lot with modern race tyres. With progressive or dual rate springs, that means the suspension is going to be stiffer than when upright. However mid corner is also where you most need good grip and would really prefer your tyres not to be bouncing off the ground."

"Dual or progressive rate springs are really a compromise that allows low-speed comfort without excess bottoming, which is why Honda fit them to road bikes. Racing is not about compromise, so they don’t get used for that."

happycallis:

--- Quote from: PieEater on 04 July 2018, 07:00:08 am ---For faster road riding and track riding I would suggest linear springs are definitely the way to go  though again make sure you get the right ones for your weight.

Edit:

See http://www.promecha.com.au/springs_advanced.htm

"Progressive springing is much less popular for road-racing, with linear main springs used almost universally. There is a good reason for this: going around corners compresses your suspension, by quite a lot with modern race tyres. With progressive or dual rate springs, that means the suspension is going to be stiffer than when upright. However mid corner is also where you most need good grip and would really prefer your tyres not to be bouncing off the ground."

"Dual or progressive rate springs are really a compromise that allows low-speed comfort without excess bottoming, which is why Honda fit them to road bikes. Racing is not about compromise, so they don’t get used for that."

--- End quote ---

Cheers for that info. Ktech springs it is the.  Just need to see which ones I need.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version