Date: 29-03-24  Time: 09:54 am

Author Topic: What is this plug and how do I disconnect it?!  (Read 1129 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
What is this plug and how do I disconnect it?!
« on: 30 June 2018, 01:18:49 am »
The LCD displays on the clocks of my FZ6 are flickering and I think it's due to dirty/ corroded contacts on the connector plugs that go from the ECU, past the yokes and into the bottom of the instruments.
There is a plug (see image) that I want to disconnect to clean the contacts, but it seems to have *three* clips, one on the top and one on each side.
This makes it impossible to get apart (at least as far as I have managed!)
I tried wedging thin screwdrivers down each side to separate the clips , then using another to undo the clip on the tip, but it won't budge.
Am I doing something wrong or is it just a total bugger??

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: What is this plug and how do I disconnect it?!
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2018, 05:57:54 am »
As far as I can see there is only one clip - the top one.
These connectors can sometimes be a pig to undo.
Spray some WD40 into the joint. I can't remember if you push down on the clip or lift it - it's one or the other. Then pull apart. Be careful though as I have pulled one of the wires out before and that caused a whole lot of other problems.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2018, 07:10:12 am »
As stated above, in that picture you can see a small square hole facing us, you need to use a small screwdriver to push in there too release the clip while pulling apart. A bugger for sure.
The only other thing I would say is don't use wd40 it's terrible stuff, use duck oil for anything electrical.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2018, 11:24:43 am »
Here's another pic.
If you look at the side facing the camera there's a rectangular loop and, under that, there's a plastic "prong" which it appears to hold in place. There's also the same thing on the other side.
That's as well as the main clip which is on the right hand side of the image.
I have some WD40 Contact Cleaner which is supposed to dissolve the gunk that corrodes the contacts and I've tried squirting some of that around the sides of the plug, but I can't get it to move and I don't want to yank on the wires because, as Hugh Mungus says, pulling those out causes other problems.
I just wondered if there was a trick to it that I'd not figured out :(

Shadrack

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2018, 07:38:23 pm »
Its just trying to keep those catches in. Is that the plug under the left hand fairing cover? Had this problem on mine (08 FZ6 ) Flickering and fading out all together. You would clean plugs/ connectors and would be ok for a short while then start its tricks again. In the end bought a second hand unit and worked ok but must have been of european import cos would not switch from KM to MPH. Got refund on that and I then knew it was defo unit as when I reconnected my old one it was faded again. Found an advert on Ebay for a repair service, not there now but it was Scorpio Electronics Kings Lynn Cost about £180 with 12 months full warrenty. There was also furring on ECU connections Under tank towards back. Hope you sort it out.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2018, 09:09:10 pm »
I've not heard of Scorpio Electronics (and I live near Kings Lynn) I have also done a recent search on-line for electronics repair places and that name doesn't ring any bells with me.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2018, 11:33:58 pm »
Is that the plug under the left hand fairing cover?

Yes, although I took the fairing inner covers off years ago because they were such a PITA to deal with any time I wanted to lift the tank or do any other work!

Had this problem on mine (08 FZ6 ) Flickering and fading out all together. You would clean plugs/ connectors and would be ok for a short while then start its tricks again.

Hmm, interesting, but I'd prefer to try to sort it out before replacing bits.

There was also furring on ECU connections Under tank towards back.

Noted. I'm working my way around the various bits cleaning them as I go, but I want to get this working properly first...

Shadrack

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2018, 04:50:04 pm »
www.scorpio-electronics.co.uk/ and they also have facebook page Scorpio Electronics. I know with mine it took nearly six months to sortI'd clean contacts plugs etc and would work for 20 mins or maybe a couple of weeks then flicker fade again. Even had to use sat nav as speedo if I was going any distance. If I remember the red/white wire carries the switched 12v and I that one I prized the contacts out of both sides and conected them in a choc block connector. Is yours round of fz1 type clock?

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2018, 08:58:42 pm »
News to me Shadrack! Just goes to show that you can't rely on someone's local info. I've bookmarked the page just in case I need them.