Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:07 pm

Author Topic: Damper rod bolt  (Read 1225 times)

Dea-ville

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Damper rod bolt
« on: 24 June 2018, 01:57:11 pm »
Hi all, planning to change the front springs soon on my gen 1 fazer thou, i know removal of the damper rod bolt is required when changing seals but is it required when changing the springs? Flicking through the Haynes manual it shows removal of spring & change of fork oil without touching the damper rod bolt.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2018, 04:06:46 pm by Dea-ville »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Damper rod bolt
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2018, 11:00:24 pm »
  • i know removal of the damper rod bolt is required when changing seals
  • but is it required when changing the springs? Flicking through the Haynes manual it shows removal of spring & change of fork oil without touching the damper rod bolt.

• With the appropriate tool, actually you don't need to. Then just drift the replacement seals back into place with cheap length of plastic tube of the right diameter from wicks etc.
  • No, you don't. if time is tight you can actually leave the forks in the bike, just unscrew the forks tops from the stanchions (Use a socket on these to avoid damaging them) and the adjuster from the fork tubes (17/19mm spanner)

Dea-ville

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2018, 07:41:53 am »
Thank's bud, looking at the service history the seals have recently been done so i'm looking to change the oil & springs. Never seen a seal "puller" before, have you used one? easy to use?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2018, 12:28:08 pm »

• No, you don't. if time is tight you can actually leave the forks in the bike, just unscrew the forks tops from the stanchions (Use a socket on these to avoid damaging them) and the adjuster from the fork tubes (17/19mm spanner)

You do have to turn the whole bike upside down to drain the oil though :pokefun
    Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

5LV

• DAS Born Again
      • Main bike:
        FZS 1000 Gen1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: 27 June 2018, 01:51:20 pm »
    Springs come out seperately. If you're REALLY good you don't need to drop the forks out.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
    • Global Moderator
    • GP Hero
      • Main bike:
        FZ1 Faired Gen2
      • - GSF 1250
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: 27 June 2018, 09:51:22 pm »
    Thank's bud, looking at the service history the seals have recently been done so i'm looking to change the oil & springs. Never seen a seal "puller" before, have you used one? easy to use?
    I've seen it done in person, the mechanic made a semi-circular cover out of thick plastic for the top of the fork to protect it from the tool - then hooked the took into the seal and levered it straight out. 
    You do have to turn the whole bike upside down to drain the oil though :pokefun
    Er read do you need glasses? read my post again - removing the adjuster from the fork tube drains the oil, then just flush the tube with fresh oil.