Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:43 pm

Author Topic: Anodizing wheels?  (Read 828 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Anodizing wheels?
« on: 23 June 2018, 09:16:57 pm »
Anyone have a clue if the standard gen2 1000 wheels are alloy or steel? And is it possible to anodized them?
I'm wanting them to be the same gold as the forks and the price of buying new gold ones is just a joke so looking at other options?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Anodizing wheels?
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2018, 01:24:39 pm »
They are alloy. No idea how well anodization would take to them though.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2018, 06:46:28 pm »

Anodizing will take to aluminium but, as with most things, preparation is key. All paint or powder will require removal first - chemical removal will be favourite here as blasting will leave a pitted surface. Anodizing is basically adding a sacrificial corrosive layer on the metal, it's very thin so any and all imperfections will show once done. Much diamond cutting / sanding / polishing before anodizing will improve the finished result. Don't expect this to be quick or, therefore, cheap.

A reliable painter or powder coaters will be able to match your gold forks for a much cheaper result, each has their benefits and down sides. As usual, it comes down to how much you want to work you want to put in yourself or pay to have done....
is it clean enough?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2018, 06:54:54 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. Very informative reply bludcotn thanks.
They are already powdercoated gold but it's nowhere near the gold of the forks and I'm not finding powder coat to be overly durable, since I've started chaining my wheels up they been annihilated :(
I'll look into the coat involved and weigh it up against a finding a second hand set of aftermarket ones

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2018, 08:03:23 pm »
Get a cover for the chain and take a little longer to thread it through your wheels.