Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Strange and intermittent electrical problem

(1/3) > >>

Spiffle:
Hello fellow Foccers (that will never not give me a giggle)

Have noticed that on some occasions my clock has been reset on the bike earlier, it's happened once or twice while driving as well (clock+ODO reset, dashboard and gauges reset before returning to normal).
One morning it 'hung up' and repeated the initial startup where the clock blinks etc endlessly. No lights, seemed to have no or very low power. I left it for a while, treated it to some well chosen words, wiggled some wires etc, few mins later she's back to normal and I've not seen the issue again (5 days or so ago).
Since the bike's already not behaving 100% right I've been suspecting the regulator is failing. Normal problem on this island they say, as it's very dusty and very warm.

Anyone seen the same or similar problem on theirs?

Hugh Mungus:
I would suspect a corroded connector block. You need to clean as many as you can find. It's a long and boring job but use some ACF-50 or similar stuff to do a good job.

Spiffle:

--- Quote from: Hugh Mungus on 20 June 2018, 08:20:47 pm ---I would suspect a corroded connector block. You need to clean as many as you can find. It's a long and boring job but use some ACF-50 or similar stuff to do a good job.

--- End quote ---
Cable sleeves, electrical tape, strips and ACF50 and I'll make a day of it - needs a good tidying up anyways. I did poke around the fusebox and connectors before trying again though, and to my surprise there was no corrosion in the connectors I checked and all of them had clean metal contact surfaces.

Hugh Mungus:
It may be one somewhere near the headstock. I've not checked out the Fazers wiring yet but I had similar problems with an FJ1200.

Spiffle:

--- Quote from: Hugh Mungus on 20 June 2018, 08:52:41 pm ---It may be one somewhere near the headstock. I've not checked out the Fazers wiring yet but I had similar problems with an FJ1200.

--- End quote ---
Now that you mentioned it, the bike has been cutting out at full left lock sometimes, and it wasn't the running switch causing it when I checked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version