Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:51 pm

Author Topic: Mock theory tests  (Read 3470 times)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Mock theory tests
« on: 20 June 2018, 11:53:02 am »
Have a try here if you've got a spare 10mins-

https://mocktheorytest.com/highway-code/motorbike/

I got 43/50 on the 50 random questions link
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Mock theory tests
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2018, 12:32:43 pm »
48/50 but to be fair I only did it 5 years ago

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2018, 12:51:14 pm »
49/50 and I have only ever done the mock on once before about 6 years ago. I took my real test when we only had 3 questions about the highway code asked by the examiner at the test centre.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2018, 01:47:28 pm »
Got 46/50.  Wasn't happy with that, so did another run through.... and got 46.

:rolleyes

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2018, 05:10:18 pm »
Got 47/50. Had my bike license 50 odd years, who cares what letter it is. Try not to use motorways let alone smart ones, bit hasty with the maths on the braking distance question though. :rollin :rollin
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2018, 05:22:34 pm »
47/50
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2018, 05:37:43 pm »
Would be interesting to try it without multiple choice  !,
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2018, 07:40:48 pm »
I got 46, but I got one wrong through being too courteous to other road users (when to stop using High Beam if you're being overtaken at night), one because I don't use Park and Ride and one because if I don't travel outside England, what does it matter that I won't see a Traffic Officer?!
I also sent them a complaint about one question because I think it's poorly worded:
It asked "What can you do to be seen more easily when you're riding at night?" and gives the following answers:

A. Use your headlight on dipped beam
B. Wear waterproof clothing
C. Keep the motorcycle clean
D. Stay well out to the right

I selected D and was told:

"You selected D, the correct answer was A

"It's vital to make yourself as visible as you can. Use the correct lights on your motorcycle. Wear reflective clothing and a light or brightly coloured helmet. Fluorescent clothing is effective in daytime, but won’t show up as well at night. Most high-visibility clothing will have a combination of fluorescent and reflective materials."

I think this is badly phrased. It is a legal requirement to use headlights at night, it's not something I "can" do, it's something I *must* do.

I selected D because, apart from that, positioning to the right was the best option to ensure that I am visible and less likely to be lost in "visual clutter" on the left of the road.

Of course, wearing Hi Viz is the best option (as well as making sure that my lights are working and clean), but that wasn't offered as an answer.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 June 2018, 08:34:51 pm »
I reckon i got the 3 wrong 'cos i was trying to ride the bike at the time.  :lol

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 June 2018, 08:42:15 pm »
44/50 which isn't too bad I suppose.
A couple of silly mistakes and a couple of bad guesses!

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 June 2018, 09:50:59 pm »
46/50. Some of the questions are a bit obscure. I had one about a motorcycle pulling a trailer!

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 June 2018, 10:40:15 pm »
47 out of 50, one question was what to check before fitting a sidecar to your motorcycle!  They must think it is still 1950.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 June 2018, 11:03:13 pm »
47 out of 50, one question was what to check before fitting a sidecar to your motorcycle!  They must think it is still 1950.

Make sure Olive is still willing to get in it  :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 June 2018, 06:51:41 pm »
44 for me ...some strange questions , one about traffic lights for trams that I guessed wrong and one that needs updating about learners in cars on motorways....good to do though as a refresher on the highway code..
One, is never going to be enough.....

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 June 2018, 09:12:48 pm »
The scores being admitted to aren't that bad as most of us haven't read the highway code in years - and some of those questions aren't in the highway code anyway.

I guess that those who only scored 10 haven't fessed up yet  :lol

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 June 2018, 10:56:56 pm »
<quote> one question was what to check before fitting a sidecar to your motorcycle  </quote> The correct answer is of course 'make sure you're not wearing the wrong trousers..... Gromit'

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2018, 10:12:03 pm »
I had this question appear
« Last Edit: 22 June 2018, 10:22:16 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #17 on: 23 June 2018, 07:27:05 am »
I got 46, but I got one wrong through being too courteous to other road users (when to stop using High Beam if you're being overtaken at night), one because I don't use Park and Ride and one because if I don't travel outside England, what does it matter that I won't see a Traffic Officer?!
I also sent them a complaint about one question because I think it's poorly worded:
It asked "What can you do to be seen more easily when you're riding at night?" and gives the following answers:

A. Use your headlight on dipped beam
B. Wear waterproof clothing
C. Keep the motorcycle clean
D. Stay well out to the right

I selected D and was told:

"You selected D, the correct answer was A

"It's vital to make yourself as visible as you can. Use the correct lights on your motorcycle. Wear reflective clothing and a light or brightly coloured helmet. Fluorescent clothing is effective in daytime, but won’t show up as well at night. Most high-visibility clothing will have a combination of fluorescent and reflective materials."

I think this is badly phrased. It is a legal requirement to use headlights at night, it's not something I "can" do, it's something I *must* do.

I selected D because, apart from that, positioning to the right was the best option to ensure that I am visible and less likely to be lost in "visual clutter" on the left of the road.

Of course, wearing Hi Viz is the best option (as well as making sure that my lights are working and clean), but that wasn't offered as an answer.
In Serbia, the law says to use "high" (long?) beam lights at night at all times - it is obligatory - EXCEPT: in urban areas, when there's oncoming traffic, or being behind another vehicle - closer than 200 m.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 June 2018, 08:50:42 am »
I had this question appear

Never really had any issues with blocked vision with my wing mirrors?

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 June 2018, 10:44:54 am »
Scored 49/50. The one I got wrong was about tyre on motorcycle over 50cc. I clicked tread depth below 1.6mm (which is the legal minimum for this category as far as i recall-can anyone confirm this please?) I should have gone for bulge in tyre which  thinking about it, I would be more concerned about a bulge than having insufficient tread although I guess we all regularly check our tyres(bike & 4 wheel vehicles) unlike a few cagers I know who NEVER check tyre pressures let alone look for cuts/bulges/tread depth :eek

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 June 2018, 11:34:56 am »
I also had this one. Its almost like a trick question. How many bikes are actually 50cc -Any? I thought they were 49cc - ergo my answer 125cc
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 June 2018, 12:07:02 pm »
Scored 49/50. The one I got wrong was about tyre on motorcycle over 50cc. I clicked tread depth below 1.6mm (which is the legal minimum for this category as far as i recall-can anyone confirm this please?) I should have gone for bulge in tyre which  thinking about it, I would be more concerned about a bulge than having insufficient tread although I guess we all regularly check our tyres(bike & 4 wheel vehicles) unlike a few cagers I know who NEVER check tyre pressures let alone look for cuts/bulges/tread depth :eek

It's 1mm for motorbikes and "visible tread pattern" for mopeds (50cc and below) IIRC.  I thought it was 1.6mm until I did my CBT

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 June 2018, 12:54:13 pm »
I also had this one. Its almost like a trick question. How many bikes are actually 50cc -Any? I thought they were 49cc - ergo my answer 125cc

"...if your bike is over 50cc’s you can ride this on the motorways in the UK – as long as you have passed your full test for the machine you’re riding!  You cannot take any vehicle onto the motorways with “L” plates or with just your CBT certificate..."

I think i would've said 125 as well. Thing is, you don't really associate people with a full bike licence riding a 50cc, it's just the norm that once you pass your test you get a bigger bike. I don't even think i'd really want to ride a 50cc bike on a motorway anyway.
« Last Edit: 23 June 2018, 12:55:10 pm by darrsi »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 June 2018, 03:07:29 pm »

Got halfway through when it suddenly went back to the beginning and question one again :rolleyes

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 June 2018, 05:47:09 pm »

"...if your bike is over 50cc’s you can ride this on the motorways in the UK – as long as you have passed your full test for the machine you’re riding!  You cannot take any vehicle onto the motorways with “L” plates or with just your CBT certificate..."

I think i would've said 125 as well. Thing is, you don't really associate people with a full bike licence riding a 50cc, it's just the norm that once you pass your test you get a bigger bike. I don't even think i'd really want to ride a 50cc bike on a motorway anyway.

Think this pretty much only applies to them Nut-nuts that ride scooters 800 miles to a rally you know the ones that spend more time on the hard shoulder than on the road 🤣
« Last Edit: 24 June 2018, 01:50:17 pm by Dudeofrude »