Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:29 pm

Author Topic: A rant about Bikesure 'Classic Insurance' policies  (Read 1330 times)

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
A rant about Bikesure 'Classic Insurance' policies
« on: 19 June 2018, 09:03:35 pm »
After a year of being 'insured' by Bikesure (for my BSA) I decided to change to a different insurer for my new bike (not got it yet so no pics, and I've still got the Fazer!)
Going through the process of sending my NCD off to new insurer and I notice that Bikesure gave me 0 (zero) years NCD despite not having made any claims. Obviously I questioned this in an email.

Today I received a phone call from Bikesure to say that they don't give any NCD with 'Classic Insurance' - As far as I am concerned it wasn't made abundantly clear to me at the time so we had a long discussion about it.

It turns out that even if you started the policy with some NCD from your previous insurer by the time you've finished your year with Bikesure you won't have any NCD for your next year as you don't get any!

I have managed to get them to send me an email which stated that I haven't made any claim in the lifetime of the policy - but that is not the same thing as an actual NCD - I have sent this to my new insurer and I wait to see if they will accept it.

So, once again it is Buyer Beware.

I know some of you have 'Classic Insurance' policies with other insurance brokers and I urge you to look into what you are actually getting - I feel like I have got ripped off just because I didn't read all of the small print.

Pee'd off? Oh yeah, just a bit!
« Last Edit: 19 June 2018, 09:06:03 pm by Hugh Mungus »

Dea-ville

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: A rant about Bikesure 'Classic Insurance' policies
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2018, 09:20:05 pm »
I had vans for work for 15 years but decided to switch to an estate car for various reasons, after purchasing the new estate i started to do quotes for the insurance & found out that a large number of insurers do not allow you to carry your NCD from a van to a car. Eventually after a lot of pissing around i got insured through RAC which did/do allow for NCD to be carried over.

As we all know, with insurance it's all about bending over & biting the pillow.

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2018, 09:23:17 pm »
I've been with Footman James, Peter James and RDH and none of them offer NCD on classic bike insurance.
Rob

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2018, 09:24:58 pm »
I didn't have the same problem when I went from car to van and then after 3 years back to a car - although my car insurer didn't insure vans so I had to cancel the policy and start a new one and it was the same story when I went back to driving a car. But they accepted the NCD.

They make it up as they go along!

When I asked Bikesure who had thought that such a daft scheme would appeal to us, she couldn't find an answer.

Funny that.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2018, 06:47:00 am »
Same her with classic car insurance , no NCD but , the premiums were always low come renewal time so didnt really bother me , like you I wasn't aware when I took the policy out wasn't pointed out to me........
One, is never going to be enough.....

Kenyun

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - z1000r 2xTRX850 CB500X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2018, 10:50:49 pm »
Surely all you would need from your present insurer is proof of 'No previous or pending claims' for any given period even if no NCD had been attached to  the old policy. The new insurer would then be able to offer the discount, if applicable.

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2018, 09:05:03 pm »
I bet you if you had an accident on your classic bike ( with no  NCD) it would affect any insurance on your modern bike!!!!Like red98 the premiums are so low that you don't miss NCD, my classic bike policy does include breakdown assistance at no extra cost which has proved useful so I can't complain.
Rob

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2018, 09:07:54 pm »
Surely all you would need from your present insurer is proof of 'No previous or pending claims' for any given period even if no NCD had been attached to  the old policy. The new insurer would then be able to offer the discount, if applicable.

I tried that and it didn't work.