Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:49 pm

Author Topic: motorcycle storage , limited space  (Read 1902 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
motorcycle storage , limited space
« on: 17 June 2018, 11:27:10 am »
Like a lot of people I have too many toys and not enough room , even the small jobs like adjusting the chain or servicing the exup becomes a pain working in the garage sandwiched between my classic car and the garage wall, banging head and elbows on everything that gets in the way , a single garage with 3 bikes , a car ,2 kayaks , tools and various household items that shouldn't be in there anyway   :rolleyes  Is never going to work......

time to sort things out , I have a brick built shed with concrete floor roughly 7ft square , easily takes 2 bikes but very little else , the two bikes I have in there are projects that I do a bit on every now and then so I camd up with a crazy idea of a stacking system , using scaffold tube , box section steel tube , 2 winches and some decking boards , it took me a while and it is a bit tight length wise but it works    :)       Couple of small jobs to finish off but its in use , just need to tidy the garage now   
« Last Edit: 17 June 2018, 11:28:59 am by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: motorcycle storage , limited space
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2018, 11:32:00 am »
Sorry about the poor quality picture had to take it whilst standing outside the shed , lack of room you see   :lol

ill have a go at turning that piccie later aswell   :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 17 June 2018, 11:32:51 am by red98 »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2018, 05:28:02 pm »
X7?

Nice idea.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2018, 06:09:46 pm »
Cheers HM.......yes  X7....passed my test on one of these so had to buy another  :lol    the other bikes a honda cb 250 rs a very underated bike at the time , sister bike to the wet dream but a hell of a lot better , single cylinder with a four valve head at the time was the fastest four stroke 250 , the x7 being the fastest  2 stroke until the LC came out.........my brother had a RS, i had the X7........happy days....

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2018, 07:59:40 pm »
I had an X7 with full fairing, Allspeed expansion pipes and Stage 3 tuned by a Mr Beckett - got through pistons on a fortnightly basis but I was warned of that before I had the tuning work done. Great bike.

My girlfriend of many years ago had the CB250RS and I thought it was a great bike and yes it was far far better than the Wetdream.

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2018, 09:36:10 pm »
Great bit of engineering, have you got some sort of mechanical locks so it is off the winch when in place?

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2018, 06:08:15 pm »
clever idea that!  do you need a haynes manual for the 250RS?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2018, 08:47:57 am »
Hi chris biker , yes ,I use the two winches too get it to right height and then supported on 4 x 12mm steel rods slotted through the four uprights , just like an axle stand , bored three holes in all 4 uprights to give me a choice of heights , theres a substantial box section metal frame below the decking that takes all the weight sungly fitting around the uprights , if  the worst was to happen and a winch failed it would jam before causing any damage , tried and tested brfore putting a bike on , happy with the way its turned out and has made room for 3 bikes in the shed freeing up room in the garage...

hi caretaker.....already have one buddy but thanks for the offer........have you tried ebay, theres still a few of these bikes about and very popular with the bobber boys now......
« Last Edit: 24 June 2018, 08:51:55 am by red98 »

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2018, 10:22:47 am »
Crikey Mr Red, that's a good bit of engineering! good work.  :thumbup
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2018, 11:16:12 am »
Well thank you mr hornby..........iam no engineer but I do know how to make a strong frame , woodworker by trade in the furniture industry , taught myself to weld ,still basic stuff but learning all the time , cutting the scaffold was straight forward with a angle grinder , its tight against the end walls so accurate measurement was the most crucial part of the job...

been repairing the solid concrete slab of a roof this weekend , stripped the corragated cement board sheets I put up there a few years ago , filled all the holes and gaps and yesterday gave it a good coating of PVA , let dry overnight and ive just finished giving it its first coat of bitumen paint , ill leave it a week and give it another coat.......

spent less than £100 on the project but has eaten into my riding time.....going to put that right this afternoon while the footies on  ;)
« Last Edit: 24 June 2018, 11:18:47 am by red98 »