Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:22 pm

Author Topic: TT 2018  (Read 2620 times)

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
TT 2018
« on: 10 June 2018, 08:03:19 am »
The Isle of Man TT has been and gone. Only another year to wait...

Excellent racing all week, lap records broken in virtually all races, new faces on the top step and pretty good coverage from ITV4.

A few of the telly presenters were changed and the new ones didn't really work and they also changed the music from "King of the Mountain" to some namby pamby tune. As I record the programs I can just pass by all the yap and get straight into the racing which saves 15 minutes repetition from the previous days coverage and any inane chit chat from the monotone presenters.

Maybe one day I will actually go to watch the racing but unless I come into a lot of money I can't see it happening so I will stick to watching it on the telly.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: TT 2018
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2018, 08:26:08 pm »
Great racing, but theyre now so fast it begins to look odd from the bike cams. Shame to see Hutchinson struggle, one of the best.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2018, 08:28:23 pm »
Hutchy struggled because he's only just got his leg mended (again) and in all reality it was too soon. He still did well though.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2018, 05:22:30 pm »
The Isle of Man TT has been and gone. Only another year to wait...

Excellent racing all week, lap records broken in virtually all races, new faces on the top step and pretty good coverage from ITV4.

A few of the telly presenters were changed and the new ones didn't really work and they also changed the music from "King of the Mountain" to some namby pamby tune. As I record the programs I can just pass by all the yap and get straight into the racing which saves 15 minutes repetition from the previous days coverage and any inane chit chat from the monotone presenters.

Agree absolutely.
i cant afford/dont want the crowds of TT fortnight so I record the ITV4 progs. In fact I do this with most progs these days so I dont have to put up with the ads every 10-15mins. Some of these ad breaks last 4-5 mins! :eek . At the same time I tune in to the Manx Radio station on the ipad to listen to live race commentary. The senior race had me on the edge of the seat and both Dean Harrison and Peter Hillier were capable & worthy of 1st place-just 2 seconds separating them after 6 laps. I am too old to get my head around these 134-135mph laps-absolutely no margin for error.
I do however go to the Manx GP in August with a friend-we put a couple of Honda cubs in the back of the van for having some fun on.

Maybe one day I will actually go to watch the racing but unless I come into a lot of money I can't see it happening so I will stick to watching it on the telly.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2018, 09:40:53 am »
Apologies-should have said Peter Hickman!! (Going senile!)

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2018, 04:02:49 pm »
I thought I had been watching a different race  :lol

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2018, 10:32:06 am »
Why was Jodie Kidd on the team, what on earth does she know about bikes let alone the TT?  She contributed nothing in my opinion, she looked ridiculous three blokes 2 Ex TT riders in jeans and T shirts and her in short shorts or skits, ok looks nice but come on!

Why are we subjected to this ever increasing trait of plonking a pretty women, who have little or no connection with the sport they presenter on!?  Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Jenny Tinmouth or Maria Costello presenting they've raced there or any female racer for that matter. 

I know Matt Roberts hasn't been a rider but he's been around the motorcycling racing world for sometime now.  Just more cooperate spin and an excuse to push up prices and profits for the organisers this although on the surface looks like it's helping sport is actually slowly but surely killing it.  Instead of it being sport for sport it's being turned into just another commodity, to make money out of!     
« Last Edit: 18 June 2018, 01:08:22 pm by Gnasher »
Later

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2018, 12:46:12 pm »
I totally agree with you Gnasher. Funnily enough, I had said to somebody during TT week that Jenny Tinmouth or Maria Costello would be more suitable with their vast knowledge and experience of the motorcycle racing world.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2018, 12:57:16 pm »
I quite agree. Like the disaster of Mel Sykes on MotoGp a couple of seasons back. Jamie Whitham was much missed from the presenting team as well. I did wonder if it was due to his health issues, but saw him interviewed on another show where he explained that a new production company had taken over the TT presentation this year. At least they hung on to Steve Plater. Cameron Donald is very knowledgeable but I find his voice a little uninspiring, similar to Simon Crafar doing the MotoGp podium interviews.
All that aside, it was a very memorable TT, and appreciate the fact that we had such good coverage. :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 June 2018, 01:06:53 pm »

I don't think Jodie Kidd is that good looking. Got a weird looking face.

In my experience most women hate motorbikes.

Seems only right to me that a male dominated pursuit should be presented by blokes.......and I bet that's exactly why they picked her ;)

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 June 2018, 08:26:25 pm »
At the start of the week she wore the obligatory brand new biker leather jacket - whether she chose it herself or was told to wear it... at least she dumped it later on as it really didn't suit her at all.

I wasn't impressed with the presenters & the lack of the decent music at the end of the show (which was King of the Mountain by Redline), I was impressed with the coverage though.
I usually skip past all the yap anyway so the presenters aren't really that much of a concern.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2018, 10:54:46 am »
What is Jodie Kidd known for? I am so out of touch these days as I dont do "cult of personality", facebook or other social media. Dont watch much TV especially all the so-called "celebrity" shit. As others have said it must be their distorted view of what constitutes "eye-candy"! Who was that lovely lass who used to present MotoGP in the early noughties. Memory playing up! :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2018, 10:12:35 pm »
Suzi Perry used to present WSB in the early 2000's, but is now on BT Sport for the majority of Moto GP transmissions.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 June 2018, 10:29:39 pm »
What is Jodie Kidd known for?

She raced cars - can't remember if it was rally or just circuit stuff. Was she a model too? Can't remember but I believe being born with a silver spoon may apply.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 June 2018, 07:50:59 am »
Asked my "significant other" and she googled her. Apparently she is some kind of model(tower cranes spring to mind!) who previously did some car racing, which explains why I didnt know about her( Dont watch cage racing).
Suzi Perry.....Now youre talking!! :lol

fazersteve1000

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 July 2018, 03:36:15 pm »
Hi all,slightly different view to some of the comments posted about ITVs coverage on this year TT as I thought it was pretty good as always, I just happy that's its still free on terrestrial tv as anybody who likes their MotoGP will know how expensive it can be if you to sign up for a tv package if you like to see all the practise sessions & to find out whats going on behind the scenes,i never been to see a Formula 1 race but if i  not doing much i will watch a bit of F1 but only the build up & maybe qualifying but even that has now been lost on terrestrial tv from next  year so just be glad the TT & the TT Classic  is covered by ITV,talking of the Classic TT  that's the one to go to now as its a better event as after 25 visits to the Isle of Man over the last 40years its hard to tell the difference in speed at most parts of the course between the TT & the TT Classic so guess the extra speed the 200hp superbikes have at the TT may well be down to them pulling well clear over the mountain,i think ive took my FZS1000 over there about a dozen times now & probably see 140 mph on the speedo most years but i have noticed how often the mountain road is closed these day as somebody has came off, the gladiators go hell for leather touching maybe 165mph plus then run out of talent & then run wide where no traction control ABS or Anti Wheelie will stop you running off the circuit so off again to the the Classic on the 18th August but only to see the the first 4 practise sessions as happy to leave the island before it get to full & the mountain road will be two way which i think is better as if you in mood you can still overtake & go as fast as you want,stay safe Steve

* Crash.Net racing newsfeeds

MotoGP

World Superbikes

British Superbikes

RSS to JavaScript