Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:05 pm

Author Topic: Just picked up my FZ1S  (Read 1476 times)

GhostCat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Just picked up my FZ1S
« on: 08 June 2018, 10:32:44 pm »
Big thanks to GlennC from this forum who sold me his sweet FZ1S which I picked up today. Moving up from a FZS600, makes you realise, what a fantastic bike that was. But love the muscle and the smooth delivery. And I can ride it into the ULEZ. On the lookout for a tail tidy, wondered what people would recommend, and do I keep the original indicators ?

GC

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
Re: Just picked up my FZ1S
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2018, 10:37:36 pm »
I’d recommend not fitting a tail tidy unless you only ride in the dry or you like to spray your back with shite!

But I am a conservative old bastd

GhostCat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2018, 10:57:24 pm »
Hmm, thanks, didnt think of that, I ride in all weathers..

GC

GhostCat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 June 2018, 08:39:57 pm »
Hi could someone please confirm this is the case, that a tail tidy means a shit spray up your back ? Also I see some people have problem with fitting a GIVI rack after fitting a tail tidy ?

tia

GC

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2018, 09:01:35 pm »
Yep. I bought a second hand under tray after the previous owner of mine hacked his down. I was sick of my back getting covered in road filth, and my luggage, come to that.

GhostCat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2018, 09:28:04 pm »
A normal tail tidy (ie the R & G one) just replaces the OEM one. Nothing gets hacked down.

GC

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2018, 11:24:31 pm »
Yes but you are removing the one thing designed to stop spray and muck going up your back. I would actually advise fitting a fender extender to make the rear mudguard slightly longer. It doesn't look as cool as a tail tidy but it does it's job.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 June 2018, 09:24:10 am »
I have just removed the tail tidy from my MT09 and refitted the original that the owner gave me. The amount of crap from the road plastered on the back of my leather jacket and my tailpack was unbelieveable.
This was not rain , just bits of dried mud and dust from riding country roads.

GhostCat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2018, 10:03:13 am »
Ok, thanks chaps, decision made, going to keep the original and go for a slightly smaller numberplate I think.

GC

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2018, 07:59:06 pm »
It all depends what you plan on using it for. Mines more of a toy than anything so I've done all my mods with aesthetics in mind over practicality.

I have a tail tidy and the only time I've every had a dirty back was when I was caught out in what felt like a monsoon. Obviously if your out in the rain its gonna flick it up your back but i cant say ive ever had anything flick up in the dry. Removing the chain guard is by far a worse mod as I'm always covered in chain lube haha

On the point of indicators, I swapped mine for l.e.d ones and it's so much better looking not to mention they are brighter than the originals.
Wouldn't recommend the Oxford ones though and all 4 have come loose of their rubber mounts and has to be glued in place 😓 not what I expected for £75
« Last Edit: 10 June 2018, 08:16:03 pm by Dudeofrude »