Date: 17-04-24  Time: 00:21 am

Author Topic: R1 Mirror upgrade review  (Read 2459 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
R1 Mirror upgrade review
« on: 04 June 2018, 09:56:03 pm »
So after 17 years of looking at my elbows and doing the funky chicken I decided to get some pattern R6 mirrors with the longer stem for a better view.
In my view not worth the bother.
Before the outside OEM dimensions across from mirror to mirror was 830mm and the R6 when on the bike were 840mm both mirrors are 140mm mirror area wide. So I gain 5mm less elbow view in each mirror.
But the OEM ones are taller at 85mm and the pattern are 75mm and squarer the OEM ones are wider where you need them and taper off where you do not.
Yes the pattern ones have a longer stem but that is not the whole story because the OEM ones although have a shorter stem the plastic around the mirror is elongated making up the difference.
You can see this in my picture although the pattern ones are on the bike and its hard to get the OEM ones next to them but you can see on the OEM ones the elongated shape of the plastic meaning that the actual glass on the OEM shorter stem ends up in almost the same position as the pattern longer stem version. The picture is a bit misleading as it makes the pattern ones look like they stick out more but its only my 5mm each side
The pattern ones sit higher maybe a person other than 5'8" tall would get on better but I do also have long arms for my height.
Good points on the pattern ones is that they were an exact fit and at ALL speeds there was no vibration.
So my OEM ones are back on for a slightly taller view and also I have datatag etching on the OEM glass, And also after 17 years of filtering that 10mm extra pattern width feels more like 1000mm.
Remember that this review is mirrors fitted on a Boxeye
« Last Edit: 05 June 2018, 10:58:22 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: R6 Mirror review
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2018, 05:19:55 am »
I thought it was R1 mirrors for a better view. Are R6 mirrors the same as the R1 items?
There doesn't seem to be much gain at all.

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2018, 09:27:16 am »
Thanks for this - I've been thinking about doing the same, but may as well stick with what I know.

As much as a better rear view would be awesome, the Fazer is the perfect width for London commuting without having to fold the mirrors in all the time, I wouldn't want to lose that.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2018, 10:57:50 am »
I thought it was R1 mirrors for a better view. Are R6 mirrors the same as the R1 items?
There doesn't seem to be much gain at all.
Sorry my mistake they were the ones for Yamaha YZF-R1 00-01 £18.95 from the ebay listing that was recommended on a simular post a few weeks ago.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: R1 Mirror upgrade review
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2018, 11:00:43 am »
Thanks for this - I've been thinking about doing the same, but may as well stick with what I know.

As much as a better rear view would be awesome, the Fazer is the perfect width for London commuting without having to fold the mirrors in all the time, I wouldn't want to lose that.
I have been riding this bike for 17 years and am so used to filtering with them, its not the extra 10mm difference but the biggest difference is they fit and sit higher 

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2018, 12:40:12 pm »
Why not just fit FZS600 Foxeye / FZS1000 mirrors? Which have a much longer stem to give you decent visibility behind, and they quickly fold in - perfect for tight filtering and squeezing into motorcycle bays chock full of scooters. Or quickly pop back out when used as whiskers on tight gaps... ;-)

Just avoid the pattern one - they invariable don't fold! Albeit £80 each if you buy new!!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2018, 01:57:52 pm »
Why not just fit FZS600 Foxeye / FZS1000 mirrors? Which have a much longer stem to give you decent visibility behind, and they quickly fold in - perfect for tight filtering and squeezing into motorcycle bays chock full of scooters. Or quickly pop back out when used as whiskers on tight gaps... ;-)

Just avoid the pattern one - they invariable don't fold! Albeit £80 each if you buy new!!!
I was in the understanding that the R1 ones were the same as those.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2018, 01:24:03 pm »

Mine look slightly different, stem is painted steel for start. Mirror shape is closer to your old BoxEye FZS600 mirrors. Stem possible bit longer too, but I may be imagining when looking at your photos and haven't actually measured!
« Last Edit: 06 June 2018, 01:24:49 pm by Arfa »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2018, 10:31:48 pm »

Mine look slightly different, stem is painted steel for start. Mirror shape is closer to your old BoxEye FZS600 mirrors. Stem possible bit longer too, but I may be imagining when looking at your photos and haven't actually measured!
Here is a trace of the shape on each, its only a small difference but makes a big difference on the bike.
the stem measures as the picture so whgen measuring the stem its tricky for every one to measure from the same area, where it connects to to bike to the plastic mirror or from the nut to the elbow joint - so many different places to measure and say "my stem is----"