Date: 25-04-24  Time: 10:13 am

Author Topic: Preload adjusters different heights?  (Read 2567 times)

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Preload adjusters different heights?
« on: 04 June 2018, 02:46:15 pm »
Hi,

Probably a stupid question, but...

I've just had both fork stanchions replaced and the garaged fitted preload adjusters (it didn't have those before), I've noticed they (the adjusters) are at different heights, is this normal/ok?

Part of me thinks they should be identical, another bit of my brain think it's because they've been individually adjusted to allow for the fact that the old springs/internals have been re-used and might be worn differently?

Is this worth worrying about? Or does it not actually matter at all? I'm not a total stranger to mechanics, but forks aren't something I've ever played with before.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Preload adjusters different heights?
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2018, 03:03:46 pm »
No they should be the same.

When you say fitted, do you mean you've had the later 600 adjusters fitted to the early type forks or just a complete fork swap?
Later

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2018, 03:12:12 pm »
I don't believe the springs & spacers are the same in the early bikes so using them with preloaders won't work so these will need to be changed also,as Gnasher I believe is going to confirm, I to agree the settings should be the same.   
« Last Edit: 04 June 2018, 03:13:50 pm by bandit »

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2018, 04:52:41 pm »
Oh gawd, I'm a total plonker.

Just tried to find a picture that would show the old setup and realised it had adjusters all along....

It seem that they were just wound right down (and hidden by wires) and I've only noticed them because they're now at different heights (see below).

Left:

Right:

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2018, 05:07:58 pm »
 :rollin :rollin ;)  Even them up, start at standard setting which is 5 i.e. level with the 5th line down from the top go from there the less lines the more preload.  [size=78%] [/size]
Later

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2018, 05:09:28 pm »
No worries happens to us all! anyway if you don't know the settings are, 1,2,3,4 hard 5 is standard 6,7 soft, 1 being at the top 7 closes to the nut. Smile

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2018, 05:33:59 pm »
I wouldn’t be going back to that garage for any work in the future, they’re either useless or sloppy workers.
They really shouldn’t have let you ride away on the bike with the forks set up like that.  :rolleyes

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2018, 11:06:59 pm »
But it's the only garage I can get to!  :'(
Last time I took her there, they forgot to reconnect the fuel pipe after having the tank off...

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2018, 05:32:23 am »
In that case it is time you learned how to do some jobs yourself - I am not being rude or having a go at you. I only learned how to do my own jobs after being ripped off by another mechanic doing a bad job.

Plenty of advice available on this forum so just ask how to do stuff and remind us not to get too technical.
If you have a problem with lack of space or tools it can be overcome somehow.

The mis-match with the fork settings isn't a real big problem but it just isn't right and like others have said it just makes you wonder how good the mechanic is. It makes you wonder what else he's got wrong.

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 June 2018, 08:01:22 am »
The irony is that I do do most jobs myself, I'm just not confident enough (and don't have the tools) to do forks and brakes.

Other thing is that the fazer's my only form of transport so I can't afford to have her off the road while I try and source a part. Ideally I want to get a cheap second bike I can hone my mechanic skills and also have as a backup if I need to do bigger jobs on the fazer.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 June 2018, 08:25:52 pm »
Yep, a second bike could be the answer. If you can afford to have a second bike.
As far as tools go you can either buy a job lot at once which will be very expensive or buy decent tools as you need them. Try not to buy too cheaply as cheap tools are either crap or they break. Don't go for the most expensive either. I do have a handful of cheapish spanners that I can hit with a hammer if I need to, it's funny how I've had those spanners the longest and not broken any!
I have built my tool collection up over many years. The last few birthday and xmas prezzies have been tools - I did buy myself a birthday prezzie a few years ago (hydraulic bike bench) and I wouldn't be without it now.

Learn how to do each job at a time. If you're doing the brakes make sure you read and fully understand what it says in the manual before you even think of actually getting the spanners out. Typically the job will not go as easy as it says in the book so come on here and ask for advice, sometimes there are ways of undoing seized up bolts etc. without breaking things.

If you've got the confidence to do some jobs yourself you are only one step away from doing even more.

Buy a project bike for as cheap as you can without it being a complete heap of junk. Strip the brakes, take the forks out, learn how to do some wiring jobs. You'll soon be tackling jobs that would normally cost you £££'s.

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 June 2018, 08:52:58 pm »
Cheers Hugh, that's the plan.

My tool set is gradually growing, and I have already learnt the lesson of not buying too cheap!

Annoyingly, the cost of getting the forks and brakes done, spent the money I was saving for a second bike!  :'(

Oh, the irony! Ow, my wallet!  :lol

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 June 2018, 09:01:30 pm »
Good luck with getting another cheap bike. It’s a great way to learn new skills.  :thumbup
I’d get yourself a workshop manual too, even a Haynes will be useful, and it’s free on here. [size=78%]http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;cat=2[/size]

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 June 2018, 09:03:51 pm »
Oh, and what bench did you get? I was looking a while ago and the price range was huge.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 June 2018, 10:06:48 pm »
I got mine from Machine Mart. Not cheap but good bit of kit and helps keeping the back healthier for bigger jobs.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 June 2018, 10:11:38 pm »

This is similar to the one I bought. There are loads on ebay that look the same and many of them are exactly the same so be careful on price etc. It was an expensive thing to buy and it was something I'd wanted for years. It makes things so much easier. I tried to get a used one but they were outrageously expensive in comparison to paying another £100 for a new one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SwitZer-Hydraulic-Bike-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Service-Shop-Lift-Ramp-Bench-1000lb/202284305673?epid=1839505134&hash=item2f19158d09:g:Ub0AAOSwP2Bay4kp

A mate bought one made by Clarke. Really expensive. It is a better bench than mine but at twice the cost it should be. But I don't think it's twice as good as mine... I've had an FJR1300 sat on it which is a really heavy bike so it can handle a Fazer without any problems.

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 June 2018, 07:29:42 am »
Cheers, I had thought that the £300 - £400 price band was where things would move from cheap and nasty to being reliable enough for home use (and hopefully for a while!)

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 June 2018, 03:53:53 pm »
Oh, and back to the original point.

I have adjusted both back to 5 lines showing, it made a HUGE difference to the ride, I am now going to experiment with adjusting up/down and see what feels best.

Just to get myself clear and make sure I'm right, less lines visible = more preload = harder ride, yeah?

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated!  :thumbup

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 June 2018, 05:34:09 pm »
Yep  :thumbup
Later

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 June 2018, 08:35:39 pm »
Re bike lifts, this is the one I got https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cml3-hydraulic-motorcylce-lift/?da=1&TC=GS-020110143&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrK_05uO_2wIVQTwbCh1umALdEAQYASABEgKEBPD_BwE

Gone up in price in the last few years but they do have ‘VAT free’ deals on from time to time which brings it down to a more reasonable price. I can definitely vouch for its quality and practically.