Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:20 pm

Author Topic: Hilltop motorcycles  (Read 2104 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Hilltop motorcycles
« on: 31 May 2018, 12:58:11 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has used them before?

I'm looking to get my ecu flashed so I can get rid of this pc3 and also to smooth out the throttle etc etc
I've been looking around the web (and I've asked here in the past) and they are the name that keeps popping up. It's a 3 hour ride from me and gonna cost £360 so I just want to make sure they are the best people for the job haha

And if not are there any other recommendations?

Edmund

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Kz750Twin G1
    • View Profile
Re: Hilltop motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2018, 12:09:41 am »
I have no experience of them personally but this fella swears by them
  hope this helps

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2018, 06:40:20 pm »
I know what an ECU is, but what does getting it flashed mean?.

Oh and what's a pc3 also? :o

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2018, 08:06:30 pm »
It means changing the software on the Ecu to alter the bikes settings.

As a rule a standard flash will

- Remove Throttle restrictions
- Standard engine braking reduction
- Disable Injector Decel Cut
- Professional fuel map modification to suit exhaust
- Removal of all gear based or speed dependent restrictions, TRE
- Optimized timing maps for Super Unleaded fuel
- Disable AIS valve (always closed)
- Reduce Fan Temps to help keep the bike cooler
- Bypass EXUP valve

There's other bits and bobs they can play with too depending on what yiur specific bike needs.

A Pc3 is a Dynojet Power Commander 3, which is a fuelling module that acts as an middleman between your ecu and fuel injectors. It's basically allowed the fueling to altered manually instead of relying on the bikes sensors.
A lot of manufacturers will have the bikes running lean from factory to conform with emission tests, then when us numptys start adding free flowing air filters and big bore decatted exhausts it makes then run even leaner unless you have the fuelling changed.

But if I get the Ecu done I won't need the pc3 so I'll be able to sell that to recoup some of the cost...... is the plan anyway
« Last Edit: 01 June 2018, 08:07:28 pm by Dudeofrude »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2018, 04:16:51 pm »
On a related note, does anyone have an opinion on the safety of riding a tuned bike with the pc3 disconnected?
I've been informed of would need removing beforehand so that would mean a 2-3 hour ride with no custom map..... would that cause any problems other than crap fuelling?

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2018, 04:45:07 pm »
On a related note, does anyone have an opinion on the safety of riding a tuned bike with the pc3 disconnected?
I've been informed of would need removing beforehand so that would mean a 2-3 hour ride with no custom map..... would that cause any problems other than crap fuelling?

Can you not just disconnect the pc3 when you get to Hilltop?
The tank and air filter housing has to come off anyway to access the ecu so just do it when you get there.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 June 2018, 08:00:41 pm »

The tank and air filter housing has to come off anyway to access the ecu so just do it when you get there.

Thatsvwhat I would have thought but the guy on the phone insisted he'd want it removed before we started.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2019, 07:32:10 am »
Well this is interesting. There seems to be a little drama surrounding this place. Apparently a lot of evidence that his 'tunes' are complete BS and that's hes actually a con man. Plenty of evidence to support it too, I'm glad I never got round to trying it out.
Here's a link to the guys calling him out

https://www.facebook.com/Treetoptuning/

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2019, 12:59:16 pm »

Thats what I would have thought but the guy on the phone insisted he'd want it removed before we started.

That's bollocks.

The Power Commander is plug and play. All it does is intercept the ECU commands and replace them with the custom map which it transmits to the FI system and plugs.

You disconnect it from the ECU, plug in the original connectors and you're back to the OEM map.

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2019, 02:49:45 pm »
Hi Foccers
Do all FI bikes have diagnostic ports for access to the computer controlled fuel system...?
if so can't the average semi-computer literate foccer just get the relevant software onto his laptop and do the tuning or adjustments him (or HER)self...? or get yer grandson (or daughter) to turn yer bike into a MONSTER...?  :book

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2019, 05:37:44 pm »

Thats what I would have thought but the guy on the phone insisted he'd want it removed before we started.

That's bollocks.

The Power Commander is plug and play. All it does is intercept the ECU commands and replace them with the custom map which it transmits to the FI system and plugs.

You disconnect it from the ECU, plug in the original connectors and you're back to the OEM map.

Yes, thats my understanding of the Power Commander too. Should I feel the need, I was told I could just disconnect it and plug the original connector back in to revert back to stock. Thats a PC5, on my S2 fazer, dont know if its different with the older models of PC

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2019, 06:59:32 pm »
Would this be something we should be telling your insurance company about ?
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2019, 07:22:20 pm »

Course not officer Haha
No way to prove it or test for it so they wouldn't ever find out. Easy enough to plead ignorance too because you wouldn't know it had been done of you weren't told

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #13 on: 30 July 2019, 10:16:33 pm »

I only use the Power Commander to smooth out the hole in the power curve between 5000-6000 rpm where Yamaha reduced the power to make the FZ6 look better on the emissions figures.

My insurance company is fine with that.

If I was using it to increase the power, they'd have a different opinion.

Note that, if you bin the bike and the insurance company take possession of it and it gets sold to a repairer, the news that there was an undeclared modification might cause them to take note and start asking for their money back...

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 July 2019, 08:52:42 am »

I only use the Power Commander to smooth out the hole in the power curve between 5000-6000 rpm where Yamaha reduced the power to make the FZ6 look better on the emissions figures.

My insurance company is fine with that.

If I was using it to increase the power, they'd have a different opinion.

Note that, if you bin the bike and the insurance company take possession of it and it gets sold to a repairer, the news that there was an undeclared modification might cause them to take note and start asking for their money back...

My Insurance co was  fine about it. The danger is if you dont tell them, the bike gets binned, and the inspector reveals it being fitted with a PC. Depends upon the exact cicumstances, but it could cause a claim problem