Date: 19-04-24  Time: 13:09 pm

Author Topic: Non starter  (Read 586 times)

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Non starter
« on: 31 May 2018, 12:57:13 pm »
Hi, A couple of weeks ago I took the bike out the garage as usual and she would not start.  Eventually she roared into life just as the juice was about out.  Since then no probs until this morning came out and turned her over until the battery was deid.  So turned the car round gave a her a jump and she started like a dream.  I stuck a yuasa battery in maybe 3.5 years ago and would not expect this to fail after such a short period.  Although the fact that she started with a  jump makes me think that the problem is not fuel related.  I have done nothing to the fuel system in 4/5 years.  I used to check alternators in cars by seeing whether the headlights were getting brighter when revving.  Might do that tonight.  I don't want to stick a new battery in then knacker it.

Any ideas?

Ta

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Non starter
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2018, 01:48:22 pm »
Do you keep it on an optimate when not riding it?

My 99 FZS600 would go months without being touched and start on the press of the button. After 7 years it had never been jump started and was still on the original battery when I sold it.
Ever since then all my bikes have had clocks or alarms which gradually drain the battery. Optimate is the only solution.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

daviee

Re: Non starter
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2018, 02:43:12 pm »
3n a half years is good out of a battery of you are draining it till its dead then its fooked they are not meant to be discharged like that and if you jumped it and it started then it proves your battery is fooked