Date: 24-04-24  Time: 19:24 pm

Author Topic: New MOT rules - HID conversion  (Read 1654 times)

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
New MOT rules - HID conversion
« on: 30 May 2018, 11:38:35 am »
Hello foccers,

Not seen anyone post about this yet, sorry if I've missed it. 

I've booked by MOT for next week, and looking at the new rules ( https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class12/Section-4-Lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment.html#section_4.2 ) it seems that my Boxeye's HID headlight conversion will fail under the "Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units shouldn’t be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.".  Doesn't seem like there's much room for leeway.
[/size]
[/size]Has anyone been for an MOT since 20 May with an HID conversion fitted or am I going to be the guinea pig :) [/size]
[/size]
[/size]Mine came with the conversion done when I bought it.... assuming it fails will it just be a case of snipping the wires and soldering an H1 connector in to put it back to original?

Ta,

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: New MOT rules - HID conversion
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2018, 12:58:05 pm »
If you have a proper HID conversion, the original H4 plugs will connect into the HID loom. You should simply be able to remove the HID bulbs and put halogens in then use the original H4 connectors on to the back of the halogen bulb
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2018, 01:52:08 pm »
Thanks, hopefully it will be straightforward then.  I will have a  look at it tonight and try to see what the score is.  It's the left hand light which I think would have been an H1 originally .

If it's fairly easy I'll just put a Halogen bulb back in for the MOT. 

« Last Edit: 30 May 2018, 02:55:23 pm by BBROWN1664 »

daviee

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2018, 05:29:26 pm »
a proper hid conversion is legal as it used its own projector lens and reflector changing the bulds to either  hid or led using the original halogen reflectors is illegal so  hid conversion is not just a case of changing the bulbs it has to be the hold lot

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2018, 05:52:20 pm »
Mine is just using the standard reflector unfortunately.  As much as I'd like to fit the Retrofitlab projector version I just can't justify the expenditure, so it will be going back to standard Halogen.

Looking at the parts diagram it seems to need a H1 socket connector on the left headlight (part 4 - https://www.ajsutton.co.uk/genuineparts/9654/42/yamaha-fzs600-fazer-1998/headlight?uID=0 ), which I am hoping I am going to find in the bike somewhere still as it's not available to order. 

daviee

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2018, 09:29:23 pm »
think its honda civic  that uses the same adaptor

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2018, 09:51:21 am »
Cheers mate, been to Honda and ordered one off a '97 Honda Prelude (nice car!).  Seemingly it's that and the CR-V that use it.

Should all be sorted now when it arrives.

Just a Faze im in

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2018, 10:13:55 pm »
Must be a strict MOT garage if they were to fail you for that.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2018, 04:40:35 am »
As there are a new set of rules for the MOT I guess there will be a few who will be quite strict for a while.
The garage I use are sensible...

daviee

« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2018, 06:24:11 pm »
not a case of being strict its a case of them now being illegal so if he passes them then he could lose his ticket