Date: 19-04-24  Time: 22:22 pm

Author Topic: Which jets to use with aftermarket filter? (And a few more questions)  (Read 3527 times)

Spiffle

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Good evening foccers!
About to give the Fazer a bit of a makeover, since it's still not running 100% (has a cutoff at around 7-8k rpm, then pulls as normal). Have already cut some off the leads and changed to the NGK caps which fixed most of it, will send it for a service and figured I might as well get a KN filter or similar. As the tank is coming off, figured I'd have the carbs refurbished as well as replace the Regulator. I'm presuming switching to different jets is recommended with more air flow, and it already has a Mivv pipe on it. Got tips on what jets to get?

Second part, I've seen these LED H4 bulbs that have the inverter built into it, anyone tried these on their bikes? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B79C19R/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1

Chain and sprockets are getting swapped, I've seen the cheaper kits with DID chains from about €90 (530 dimension), or the more expensive Renthal for almost twice. I ride on Malta, where the roads range from abysmal to just horrible so the suspension takes a beating, chain as well. Anyone tried the various kits available online and have recommendations?

Brakes will need some TLC too, from the clues (stripped head on the reservoir and really funky braking at times) brake fluid and bleeding is long overdue. I don't ride in the rain and i saw some thread here (which I can't find now) about how there's a kind of pad that works well for those conditions? After a search, seems I might have to swap the front bearing too.

... buy a cheap bike just for daily use, wont have to spend much money on it and upgrade later. Anyone else had that same thought, but then just loved the Fazer?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Don't touch the jets, it's not needed.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Don't touch the jets, it's not needed.

:agree   If you do you'll be sorry.
Later

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Don't mess about with the jets, but look at the exhaust pipes, my experience is described below:

If you change your exhaust headers make sure the restrictor point of the new set is similar in overall opening size to the original set.

The original outlet measured:  35mm (narrowest point) to 43.5mm (widest point) externally at its most restricted point.

I’m not sure what the wall thickness is but I reckon it must be somewhere between 1.0mm and 2.00mm, my original pipes are still in good condition and I was loathe to saw them up to find out.

In any event the Motad replacement header system outlet pipe is has a clear open area of 1364sqm.  Whereas the original outlet is restricted to somewhere between 962sqm and 1075sqm.

When I fitted the Motad headers the power band almost evaporated and a gas analyser showed it be running far too weak, this being supported by the plug colour.

A further test was done by a lazer temp gauge on the exhaust clamp bracket of both original and new pipes and this showed the exhaust gas temp had risen.

To solve the issue the Motad pipe was sleeved down first to 1075sqm which improved things no end, and finally down to 975sqm, which seemed to be better.

Plugs were checked and exhaust gas analysed and the results were as good as I could get them.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile

Glad you're enjoying the Fazer fella!
DID X ring is a good chain and well fit for purpose, the Yamaha OE is also excellent- sometimes they can be picked up at a reasonable cost. I wouldn't spend money on a race chain if the bike's just for commuting or hacking about on, but that's just my opinion. Pads are very much down to choice and budget, I'd avoid organic as they're too soft and ceramic can wear your discs down quicker, semi metallic is a good compromise I've got EBC on the front and galfers on the rear. +1 for not touching the jets, new filter, carb clean and balance would probably sort out your flat spot

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Spiffle

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Appreciate all the good tips! Shopping list is almost complete, Fazer is in for a treat. Might take it over to Sicily after it's been serviced.

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
I have the motad pipes and ran a motad viper end can.
I’ve just put the original end can back on and can say that the engine for me is better with the original can.
Feels very torquey.

Spiffle

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Original air filter?

I'm replacing the original with a KN.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Original air filter?

K&N all the way for me.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Spiffle

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Original air filter?

K&N all the way for me.
Make any changes to the airbox or snorkel?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Well know and noticeable, gets rid of the holes in the rev range and make the bike sharper and nicer to ride.  Fit a quality end can (Quill in my opinion) and a K&N that's it, just make sure the crabs are properly balanced and enjoy.   
Later

Spiffle

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Well know and noticeable, gets rid of the holes in the rev range and make the bike sharper and nicer to ride.  Fit a quality end can (Quill in my opinion) and a K&N that's it, just make sure the crabs are properly balanced and enjoy.
Bought it very cheap with the thought of trading up soon. But the Fzs600, even on a bad day, is a fun ride.

I'll try to get my crabs in balance, thanks for the tip! :rollin

reaper1064

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I'm with you mate if the crabs are out of balance nothing feels right.  :rollin :rollin

Spiffle

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
I'm with you mate if the crabs are out of balance nothing feels right.  :rollin :rollin
I present to you; The self balancing crab.

reaper1064

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
 :lol :lol :lol

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile

Seriously you don't know about the crabs.................................. :eek :eek :eek :eek :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol :lol :lol [size=78%] [/size]
Later

Spiffle

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Hey foccers!

Got a shopping list ready, anyone spot anything missing/unnecessary on it (Full service, front brakes, bearings and shocks, chainswap, carb clean+balance)? I'm sourcing fluids locally and having a shop do the work, especially the crab cleaning and balancing - i heard you can get pinched real bad  :rollin

Buying the front reservoir gasket locally as well.

Service kit details: https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer_sp/02-03/picture/service_kit

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
If you're getting a shop to do the work did you got a price off them for the parts? It might work out cheaper if they source the parts. Would be worth asking anyway

Spiffle

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
If you're getting a shop to do the work did you got a price off them for the parts? It might work out cheaper if they source the parts. Would be worth asking anyway
Thanks for the tip, will check with them! They're not brand specific though, and on this island there's not a lot in stock (and anything in stock has a good markup).

Generally I've found parts to be 10-50% more expensive here than online.

HydrocarbonPrimate

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Diversion
    • View Profile
If your doing sprockets don't forget the upgraded front sprocket nut, 12mm instead of 9.

Spiffle

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
If your doing sprockets don't forget the upgraded front sprocket nut, 12mm instead of 9.
Already swapped on mine =)