Date: 16-04-24  Time: 06:38 am

Author Topic: Alternatives to the fzs1000?  (Read 7520 times)

duxsy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Alternatives to the fzs1000?
« on: 24 May 2018, 06:10:12 pm »
Hello thou riders,

I love my fzs600 but it's time for something bigger. Are there any viable alternatives to the thou? I hope I don't set off a lynch mob  :evil
Need Not necessarily be as powerful as the thou but still more powerful than the 600 and with a similar riding position and easy to add luggage to? Am I blind or is there actually nothing?

Any thoughts welcome,

D.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Alternatives to the fzs1000?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2018, 07:15:30 pm »
MT09 Tracer?  Quite a few seem to be sold with luggage already fitted.

Kenvis Repesco

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - YAMAHA TRX850
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2018, 07:23:53 pm »
Simple answer...not really. The thou does everything so well without truly excelling at any one thing. I have had over fifty bikes since 1979 so have sampled the virtues of just about everything. For the pound outlay they are hard to beat, sort out the suspension get it Ivanised and they are nigh on perfect. The only bike that could possibly coax me away from the Fazer Thou is the BMW S1000XR, the only stumbling point is the 10-12k required to permanently sit on one.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2018, 09:49:30 pm »
I don't think that you will find anything that is a complete a package as a sorted Gen1 Thou, I've had mine for 9 years now the longest I've kept any bike due to the fact that it is such a great all rounder. Not that I've ridden one but some might argue a VFR800 comes close at a similar price point.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2018, 09:55:09 pm by PieEater »

Kenyun

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - z1000r 2xTRX850 CB500X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2018, 10:27:15 pm »
The youngest Fazer thou will now be 13 years old so if you want something younger it will have fuel injection, something younger still will also come with all the electronic 'rider aid gadgets' which to me are unnecessary and WILL go expensively wrong sooner or later.  Unless you want another old bike from a different manufacturer or pay 10 grand for a new one, there is no viable alternative to the FZS1000. I am a bit biased as I have 2 of them, one for Summer, and one for Winter which has covered 156,000 miles and the only thing that has gone wrong with it was the electronic alarm [I had it fitted from new] It did last for 16 years though before it had to be removed. Reasonably cheap to buy, very easy to work on[once the AIS has been binned]  Lots of low and midrange grunt, stable handling, fine brakes, fuel efficient[so long as its not thrashed obviously], comfortable, and last but certainly not least is the glitch free fuelling from the carbs. I also have fuel injected bikes and at low revs the throttle is like a switch and can be imprecise and jerky [especially on big twins] probably the reason for 'riding modes', I suspect they can't get the fuelling right and please Euro 4 regs. On this forum we all appreciate Fazers and for good reason, I for one consider the fzs1000 as one of the best bikes I have ever owned. The only new bike that has come close to loosening my wallet is the current Kawasaki Z1000R, but I would still keep at least one of my Fazers. :)

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2018, 10:44:40 am »
You will of course get a biased answer on this site...However... I'm back on a FZS1000 after having the 600 for five years (and another FZS1000 for five years before that). Its a hard bike to beat because it's good at so many things. But fairing's frontal area is too small and standard screen rubbish at wind deflection - it's virtually a 'naked' bike. Aftermarket parts help a lot.

However, modern alternatives might be:1) Tracer 850 - nice but at a price. Standar suspension not great either and seat comfort questionable.
2) CBF1000 (gen 2) heavier, linked brakes and lacking 25hp up top, but possibly more comfy. Also still £4.5k or more.
3) Tiger 1050 (Gen 1) previously I'd seriously considered one of these myself, but had to admit it was way too tall for me. Bit wobbly on standard suspension.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2018, 03:24:43 pm »
Hello thou riders,

I love my fzs600 but it's time for something bigger. Are there any viable alternatives to the thou? I hope I don't set off a lynch mob  :evil
Need Not necessarily be as powerful as the thou but still more powerful than the 600 and with a similar riding position and easy to add luggage to? Am I blind or is there actually nothing?

Any thoughts welcome,

D.

I went from an FZS600 to an ST1100 as I wanted something bigger. that turned out to be too big so went on to a CBF1000 (Mk1) which mainly sat in the garage. It was too bland and as I never used it decided to sell that and went back to an FZS600. In parallel I have also got a Tiger 900i.

the FZS600 is powerful enough. On the 1000+ bikes the main diffference is you dont need to dance around the gearbox to get the acceleration etc.

The tigers bigger for luggage etc but it is a beast of a bike to move around the garage/garden without the engine running due to its size and weight.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

duxsy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2018, 06:48:47 pm »
thanks for all the replies, they've confirmed my suspicion that there isn't really much of an alternative. I'll keep my eyes peeled then for a thou.

the cbf1000 seems to have too low bars which would make uturns awkward.

bmw is too expensive I'm looking for an old nice affordable bike.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2018, 06:51:46 pm »
If you were after a new bike I would suggest an MT-09 or MT-07 Tracer as I quite like those myself.
I am perfectly happy with my FZS1000 Gen 1 as it is a great bike so I won't be changing for a year or two.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2018, 12:44:01 pm »
the cbf1000 seems to have too low bars which would make uturns awkward.

The CBF1000 Gen1 is a very similar riding position to the FZS600.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

nordboy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2018, 05:45:39 pm »
I took my 02 Gen 1 thou for it's MOT today (failed, horn relay failed and wouldn't work!!).

While there I got my arm twisted to take the demo MT-09 SP out for a test ride. Really nice bike, amazing how much bikes have come on in 16 years, the triple engine is amazing, staggering. I would say the best engine I've ridden.
The throttle response and quickshifter was great and the turn in caught me out a couple of times, so quick. Soon got uncomfortable to ride however at speed, was really hanging on.

I'd really like to take the Tracer SP out for a ride, however, I think i'd end up buying one!!

Back after about 40 mins, jumped back on the thou, still a fantastic bike but I did notice that I could carry more mph through some of the bends on the 09 SP, some bends 10 mph+

Could I justify spending ££££ on a SP, not really, I just can't see that it's worth £7k plus more than the thou.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2018, 07:39:04 pm »
My son has just bought an MT-09 with full Akrapovic and power commander. It's an awesome bike, I only rode it for about 5 miles and I loved it. Still like my Fazer though...

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2018, 11:55:38 pm »
Back after about 40 mins, jumped back on the thou, still a fantastic bike but I did notice that I could carry more mph through some of the bends on the 09 SP, some bends 10 mph+
You could probably rectify that through upgrading your suspension and tweaking the geometry. I've had a few comments from surprised owners of more modern bikes on how well my Gen1 carries speed through corners and keeps up with the top of the pack when the going gets brisk.

nordboy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2018, 08:22:12 am »
You could probably rectify that through upgrading your suspension and tweaking the geometry. I've had a few comments from surprised owners of more modern bikes on how well my Gen1 carries speed through corners and keeps up with the top of the pack when the going gets brisk.

I did think that when I had time to sit when I got home. For a 16 yr old bike it truly is great and I'm very tempted to spend a bit of ££ at the suspension.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2018, 11:12:36 am »
Take a look at the Multistrada 1200s, yes it's a Ductai, forget the old fragile poor build quality.  These things are sensational really they're I was gob smacked by it's capabilities and performance with it 4 modes, 150bhp, ABS, traction control it's got the lot.  It will easily keep up with and beat any sports bike track or road with the right rider and will be as docile as you like on a greasy wet road in town, put the panniers on it will tour the world on and off road.  If you don't mind the adventure styling, want a bike for all conditions it is a close as you're currently going to get for the money to prefection, go try one, your be amazed!

6 - 8k grand will get you a very nice bike.     
Later

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2018, 12:57:26 pm »
I was looking at a multistrada or bmw s1000xr until I was told of the servicing costs.
I’ll keep my fazer thou thanks.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2018, 02:04:57 pm »
They're are no worse overall than most other bikes, 15k (mile) intervals that's more than twice what it is for a FZS1000 and FZ1, so will balance out if you can spanner yourself it gets even cheaper.  The days of these engines being fragile is long gone, they're just as reliable (if maintained) as any Jap bike. 

I too was very sceptical when I had my first experience.  Once I rode one I was blown away and having worked on a few they're no worse than many late model Jap bikes.  If you're a hardened sports bike, newer looking street/muscle (MT's, Z1SX, GSX-S) fan then perhaps not for you, but if you don't want an FZS1000 and you are looking for bang for buck one bike for everything, the Multistrada is in my opinion the best out there at present.

Those that know me (and yes they're still a few left on the board) will know I'm not/wasn't a Ducati fan but this bike is really that good.         
Later

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2018, 09:13:53 pm »
I had a two hour test ride on the bmw xr and I thought it was an amazing bike up and down shifter was like butter and so comfortable.does it all really just like the fazer but 15k is alot of money. Maybe one day if the fazer ever goes bang

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2018, 08:37:24 am »
What is it with all these electronic gadgets abs, traction control, engine mode, to control how much power it makes suspension modes for different styles of riding seems that some riders have forgotten/unable to ride a bike by feel  and the seat of their pants with out a computer to do it for them.     

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2018, 09:28:05 am »
Cbf1000, more like a grown up  Fzs600 than any other bike I've ridden, (I owned a Fzs 1000 at the same time as my 600 so have done direct comparison).
Kawasaki Z1000SX about the closet I've ridden to the 1000, very nearly bought one(that good) but bought a new model crossrunner instead (flawed and no longer in the garage).
« Last Edit: 28 May 2018, 10:41:57 am by Carlsv8 »
It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2018, 04:15:02 pm »
What is it with all these electronic gadgets abs, traction control, engine mode, to control how much power it makes suspension modes for different styles of riding seems that some riders have forgotten/unable to ride a bike by feel  and the seat of their pants with out a computer to do it for them.     

Im with you on this one. All adding value for the manufacturer, cost for servicing/repair onto the owner. Bikes would cost much less, be lighter, and more affordable for new riders. £10k for a new bike. Jeeez, thats more than I paid for our first house :lol

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2018, 04:49:38 pm »

Im with you on this one. All adding value for the manufacturer, cost for servicing/repair onto the owner. Bikes would cost much less, be lighter, and more affordable for new riders. £10k for a new bike. Jeeez, thats more than I paid for our first house :lol

That's very true, that's why you buy them second hand  :D  as I said you can get a very nice low mileage Multistrada for 6 - 7k.

If you've not ridden a bike with gadgets, go and try one you'll be amazed ;)  It's like when ABS first appeared on cars, or sat nav many were knocking it, not many do now, chances are you've got both on your car and possibly your bike  :) [size=78%]  [/size][/size][size=78%]  [/size]
Later

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2018, 05:54:52 pm »
Tracer 700 - Looks a bit Fazer ish from the front. I had a sit on one at the MCN Festival. Seemed good for seating position.
Not a bad price for a brand new bike.
https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/tracer-700.aspx

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2018, 06:14:30 pm »
Tracer 700 - Looks a bit Fazer ish from the front. I had a sit on one at the MCN Festival. Seemed good for seating position.
Not a bad price for a brand new bike.
https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/tracer-700.aspx

Mate the older 600 Fazer is better then the Tracer 700 in just about every way.  Someone looking to up grade, to something other the a 1000 Fazer which is a bench mark and one of the best all round bikes ever made isn't going to want a 700 Tracer. well not if they've got any sense  :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol :D ;) :)

Later

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2018, 07:51:56 pm »
I've not actually ridden one, just sat on it. Having said that, I've not even sat on a 600 Fazer either.