Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:46 am

Author Topic: Rusty Filler Cap  (Read 937 times)

ratkinsonuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Rusty Filler Cap
« on: 22 May 2018, 02:54:55 pm »
My FZ6 S2 got a hit on the last MOT for a rusty filler. It's been like that since I bought it.
I've decided it's about time I got it sorted, but I'm not sure which way to go with it - replacement or fix. Fowlers have it listed at a stonking £200+, so I'd be into finding a second-hand part.
The alternative is trying to remove the rust with something like this -https://mistralie.co.uk/products/gel-rust-remover.
I don't have a picture to hand at the moment, unfortunately, but it's pretty badly rusted and almost eaten through in a few places.
Any thoughts and ideas, or even better, someone with a spare fuel cap they'd like to donate?
Cheers, Rob.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Rusty Filler Cap
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2018, 11:08:55 pm »
You'd probably do better buying a second hand tank.

Firstly they're cheaper (they're about £50-£100 on eBay) and secondly, if the filler cap is that badly damaged, I'd worry about the integrity of the tank as a whole.

ratkinsonuk

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Rusty Filler Cap
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2018, 09:25:44 am »
Thanks for the advice Graham.
I'll take the filler cap off to clean it and give the tank a good check at the same time. I don't think it's rusted inside to be honest, I think it's more to do with a previous owner splashing fuel all over it repeatedly as the rubber seal for the cap looks fine so unlikely to be water ingress.
If it does turn out to be rusty, I'll go the new tank route.