General > General

Varifocal glasses.

(1/5) > >>

Kenbob:
can someone please explain the benefit of varifocal glasses to me because I can’t see it ( see what I did there).
I was reluctant to try the bloody things again but thought i’d try Zeiss driving lenses as recommended by the optician for driving, which is what I do.
Anyhow my argument is this.
With bi focal lenses only one part of my vision will be blurred but with varifocal lenses my peripheral vision is also blurred so what’s the point in paying more money for seeing less.
I need my peripheral vision, I think it’s vital riding a motorbike, that’s just my opinion though.

slappy:
I tried them a few years for work, top half was for distance, bottom half was basically just clear glass so I could read drawings. Could not get on with them at all, I was told to not move my head when looking down at drawings but just to move my eyes. Did my head in trying to do it, eventually binned them. I figured at work if something is that far away that I need glasses to see it then I could just ignore it.
Never tried them on the bike or driving car, just wear my normal glasses that are for distance.

Dea-ville:
Iv'e worn varifocal glasses for the last four years & i also wear multifocal contact lenses for work & for me they both work a treat. Can wear either riding bike no problem. There is another alternative, a friend of mine has just had lens replacement surgery, £3000 per eye & he has the vision back he had in his twenty's.

red98:
Been wearing varifocals for a few years now , custom made for riding top half and sides for distance and peripheral ( life saver glance over the shoulder ) and inner lower quarter fof reading the clocks , they do take some getting used to but wouldnt be without them now......as said , move your eyes not your head.........

VNA - BMW Wank:
 Had them since I started wearing glasses 8 years ago.
Brilliant.  Though you get what you pay for.  It’s worthwhile paying for the higher quality ones which will give you the decent peripheral vison that you seek.  My day to day glasses are top quality, but my safety glasses at work have cheap lenses, I get by with them but the difference is clear.
You do have to work them, and at first you might find em a pain, but if you stick with it it’ll become second nature.  I think they are brilliant.
I do have separate reading glasses for reading books etc – it’s just more pleasant.
Also keep my original reading glasses from 8 years ago for photo work on the computer – they now make ideal short to mid distance glasses – ie ideal for working at a screen.
And a pair of 3 quid, slightly more powerful than my reading glasses for hill walking – great for getting the detail of maps, and no need to worry aboot them getting squashed in ma pocket.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version