Date: 29-03-24  Time: 05:52 am

Author Topic: Ignition Switch and a whole load of other questions...  (Read 780 times)

Hugh Jass

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Ignition Switch and a whole load of other questions...
« on: 19 May 2018, 09:00:04 am »
I want to fit a single headlight and the ignition switch is in my way so I have taken it off. I'm also going to zap off the aluminium circle and bits that I don't need with my angle grinder.

I need to wire up a new switch that will incorporate the starter as well, so I can throw the right hand switch gear in the bin.
Anyone got any advice on that?
I also am fitting renthal 789's to the bike which I am guessing will need longer throttle cables and clutch cables too? I think I can buy a unbiversal kit and make my own carn't I? Putting a few wire extensions into the left hand switch gear should be no problem if needed.
Single headlight should hopefully be easy to wire up. Do I just forget about the other headlight feed and leave it blank on the bike?
The origonal speedo is huge and I want to replace it with a 48mm cable driven one I have. So I have got a thundercat speedo drive but that has different internals, how can I marry the fazer internals with the Thundercat internals? Do I just cut off what I want and use my soldering iron to melt them together? Or if I buy a lot of fizzy drinks would the plastic from the bottle tops be about right and I could just melt that into the thundercat speedo and shape it so it fits into the holes?
Yes I know that I have lost my steering lock, so I am going to weld a couple of tabs to the bottom yolk and the frame so I can put a padlock through it when I am away from the bike. Or is there a better solution?

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition Switch and a whole load of other questions...
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2018, 02:07:53 pm »
Ignition switch. This one has starter position like a car.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Car-ignition-Key-Switch-2-Keys-Start-Starter-MotorBike-Cycle-Boat/111036587538?hash=item19da4bde12%3Ag%3AdvAAAMXQ01tRShx0

Don't buy one that has wires coming out as they tend to be a bit flimsy and break off and then you're in the poo.