Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:31 am

Author Topic: shimmy shimmy yah  (Read 842 times)

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
shimmy shimmy yah
« on: 18 May 2018, 09:50:04 pm »
During my recent cam chain replacement I thought it would be a good idea to check the valve timing. I don't really have a question about this I just wanted to get a bit of discussion going on what everybody else's valve timings are and if anybody has fitted, or considers it worth fitting, new shims to our bikes.

At 50 000km my bike isn't quite ready for the scrap heap but it's certainly no spring chicken (2000 model). Nevertheless in the 3 years I've had it, it has become my pride and joy and I would never sell it, I would only ever get around a grand for it and its worth far more to me and doesn't take up much room.

As you all know the FZS600s valves get tighter as the engine wears. The spec for intakes is 0.11-0.20mm, almost all mine are at 0.11mm (even lying to myself a bit on a couple of those) and one of my intakes on piston 4 is a solid 0.10. My exhausts aren't so bad: spec being 0.21-0.30 and pistons 2 and 3 both having all valves on 0.24 whilst 1 and 4 sit at 0.22.

I was prompted to post this as today I finally found some time away from the demands of fatherhood to balance the carbs following the cam chain replacement. 1 + 2 are sweet as a nut but 3 and 4 are a little harder to coax into balance and I thought the valve timing must be the reason. Tbh though the bike runs great for what I want it to do, I'm never going to take it on a track I just dream of taking it on a long trip. I look for reliability over performance. The hurricane rather than the spitfire. I ride with my brother mostly and he has a 2007 bandit which splutters and coughs like an aging smoker.

Grib

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: shimmy shimmy yah
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2018, 10:03:34 am »
I re-shimmed mine, shims are between £2 and £5 (Wemoto). I only needed to buy 6 shims, I adjusted the rest by swapping the existing shims around.