Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Sproket Wobble

(1/3) > >>

Wootan:
Morning All,

I've reassembled the rear wheel and noticed the sprocket is wobbling which is causing the chain to judder. All the bearings are new as is the sprocket. I've checked and the sprocket is flat. I've noticed that the sprocket carrier wobbles slightly on the axle so I stripped everything back down and the collars wobble slightly on the axle. So the question is, is the play on the collars normal or does this suggest that the axle is worn or the collars or both? The bike has only done 17,000 miles but has been stood for a couple of years. The cush rubbers seem in good condition and I don't believe they would take up the play if I replaced them but I could be wrong. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

darrsi:
What do you mean by "causes the chain to judder"?

Zark:
chain 'juddering' sounds like it's not in line and rubbing on the sprocket edge?

i got virtually no movement in sprocket carrier on mine. if bearings and cush-drive are good, it shouldn't move at all.

have you got the spacer in? Have a look here for parts list and order for putting it together... but i'd try a bit of string to check alignment first

Wootan:
Thanks

I think you're probably right, I just aligned the marks on the swing arm but I'll check the alignment. It feels like the chain is being pulled off the front sprocket which causes the whole bike/gearbox to judder. The spacers all present and correct and the wheel has virtually no run out at all but there is definitely a wobble on the sprocket.

I'll reassemble everything tonight and check the alignment and report back. There is play on all of the spacers on the axle and having measured the axle at various points the diameter seems consistent which would suggest its not worn but I can definitely move the rear sprocket a little from side with everything assembled.

daviee:
if you run it up on the centre stand you will get a slight movement in the sprocket as if it is buckled this is normal for a bike with a separate sprocket carrier this will  not cause any juddering mine has slight movement and dont cause any judder your judder problem is else where ie chain to tight sprockets hooked not enough lube on chain thats always the first thing to check clean lube chain then try it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version