Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:51 pm

Author Topic: Sproket Wobble  (Read 2075 times)

Wootan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Sproket Wobble
« on: 17 May 2018, 09:52:54 am »
Morning All,

I've reassembled the rear wheel and noticed the sprocket is wobbling which is causing the chain to judder. All the bearings are new as is the sprocket. I've checked and the sprocket is flat. I've noticed that the sprocket carrier wobbles slightly on the axle so I stripped everything back down and the collars wobble slightly on the axle. So the question is, is the play on the collars normal or does this suggest that the axle is worn or the collars or both? The bike has only done 17,000 miles but has been stood for a couple of years. The cush rubbers seem in good condition and I don't believe they would take up the play if I replaced them but I could be wrong. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Sproket Wobble
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2018, 03:04:30 pm »
What do you mean by "causes the chain to judder"?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Zark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 600 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2018, 03:12:35 pm »
chain 'juddering' sounds like it's not in line and rubbing on the sprocket edge?

i got virtually no movement in sprocket carrier on mine. if bearings and cush-drive are good, it shouldn't move at all.

have you got the spacer in? Have a look here for parts list and order for putting it together... but i'd try a bit of string to check alignment first

Wootan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2018, 04:25:52 pm »
Thanks

I think you're probably right, I just aligned the marks on the swing arm but I'll check the alignment. It feels like the chain is being pulled off the front sprocket which causes the whole bike/gearbox to judder. The spacers all present and correct and the wheel has virtually no run out at all but there is definitely a wobble on the sprocket.

I'll reassemble everything tonight and check the alignment and report back. There is play on all of the spacers on the axle and having measured the axle at various points the diameter seems consistent which would suggest its not worn but I can definitely move the rear sprocket a little from side with everything assembled.

daviee

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2018, 05:04:52 pm »
if you run it up on the centre stand you will get a slight movement in the sprocket as if it is buckled this is normal for a bike with a separate sprocket carrier this will  not cause any juddering mine has slight movement and dont cause any judder your judder problem is else where ie chain to tight sprockets hooked not enough lube on chain thats always the first thing to check clean lube chain then try it

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2018, 07:11:29 pm »
Just by putting the bike on the centre stand and spinning the wheel backwards will tell you if it’s misaligned.
It will make a clicking noise as it tries to straighten itself up plus you will see that it’s not right as it will move from side to side.
Having a chain that’s too tight will make it even worse.

If all is well the chain will just purr when you spin the wheel.

Wootan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2018, 08:03:08 pm »
Thanks all, much appreciated. I'll have another go and see how it looks.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2018, 06:05:54 am »
Just noticed that the bike has been stood for a couple of years.
There is a big possibility, even more so if it's been stored outside, that there could be seized chain links.
Normally felt when riding as a knocking feeling through the left foot as the bad links try and go round the front sprocket at an awkward angle.

Again this is something that can be spotted visually. With the bike on the centre stand just look at the lower part of the chain and all the links should be equally horizontal. A sticking or seized chain link tends to stay put in a slightly diagonal position, and will basically just look wrong in comparison.
Once this happens the damage is done and it'll never really be normal again even if you persevere and try and free up the link with a bit of elbow grease. 
A chain that is neglected, even from new, doesn't take long to go wrong if the conditions are right, like excessive rain, salty sea air, etc.

If this is the case then i would get a new D.I.D. X Ring chain & sprocket kit from a reputable company, also making sure you have the new 12mm front sprocket nut to fit as well, rather than the iffy 9mm one.

« Last Edit: 18 May 2018, 06:14:20 am by darrsi »

Wootan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2018, 11:30:30 am »
Thanks Darsi

Chain, sprokets, nut, bearings etc are all new. I'm sure it's just a tension/alignment issue. Hopefully have it back together this evening

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2018, 02:11:46 pm »
If there is axial runout on the carrier that sounds as if there may be something that caused the bearing not to seat fully when it was replaced.
Is it possible that the seating surface got dinged or a bit of debris found its way in during assembly?

Wootan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2018, 04:03:53 pm »
The wheels were freshly powder coated and were spotless during assembly. The play is on the collars not the bearings, the collars fit snuggly into the bearings but there is play on between the axle and the collars.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2018, 04:21:22 pm »

If by "collars" you mean the spacers, then a loose fit is normal.
They're just spacers, not bearings.
If the flat faces are not parallel then that could have a similar effect to a badly seated bearing, i.e the sprocket carrier not perpendicular to the axle.

Wootan

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2018, 09:21:57 pm »
Seems a little better now its back together.

I'll worry about it when the bikes finished and see how it rides, thanks for all the suggestions.