Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:31 am

Author Topic: Changes to the MOT  (Read 3306 times)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Changes to the MOT
« on: 26 April 2018, 06:17:13 pm »
Apparently, from May there are new changes to the MOT?!? I'm not sure if it affects Motorcycles or not.
You will no longer be able to drive your car if it goes for the MOT before it is due and fails the test, In the past, as long as your car was roadworthy, you could keep driving it even after it failed, provided your old MOT was still valid. But now the second your car fails, it can be deemed 'dangerous', and that means a fine of up to £2,500 and 3 points on your licence.

So if your car fails the test and you have taken it to a test centre that does not do repairs what do you do? All MOT results are uploaded and stored, so any 'dangerous' faults go on the database straight away. So I would imagine there is every likelihood that you will be picked up by police cars having ANPR cameras on them if you drive it home, more money for the Government. :grumble
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to the MOT
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2018, 06:44:15 pm »
I think a bike has to be in a pretty bad way to fail an mot. (I know that because mine passes every year!) I'm not sure I would want to ride a bike that failed!
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2018, 08:47:50 pm »

So if your car fails the test and you have taken it to a test centre that does not do repairs what do you do? All MOT results are uploaded and stored, so any 'dangerous' faults go on the database straight away. So I would imagine there is every likelihood that you will be picked up by police cars having ANPR cameras on them if you drive it home, more money for the Government. :grumble
The law states that you would be able to drive your car home from the test centre or to somewhere that would carry out repairs, as long as the failures didn’t cause the car to be dangerously unroadworthy, in which case the MOT tester should stop you from taking it away.
As for the ANPR, I think it’s highly unlikely that their database would be updated with your MOT failure that quickly, a day or two later maybe.

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2018, 09:00:49 pm »
This probably isn't relevant here, but- "Most vehicles manufactured or first registered over 40 years ago will, as of 20 May2018, be exempt from periodic testing unless they have been substantially changed."
Fuul text here https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/670431/vehicles-of-historical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf
Rob
« Last Edit: 26 April 2018, 09:01:47 pm by Rob R »

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2018, 11:52:50 pm »

The law states that you would be able to drive your car home from the test centre or to somewhere that would carry out repairs, as long as the failures didn’t cause the car to be dangerously unroadworthy, in which case the MOT tester should stop you from taking it away.
As for the ANPR, I think it’s highly unlikely that their database would be updated with your MOT failure that quickly, a day or two later maybe.
Honestly? I wouldn't put it past them.
Fundamentally these changes are being driven by an EU directive, stricter controls on diesels, those diesels running without adblue may have had their day.
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/940016/MoT-test-2018-changes-check-diesel-cars
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2018, 12:18:21 pm »
You are allowed to drive to a pre-booked MOT if your vehicle does not have a current MOT. It is not allowed on the road any other time apart from driving directly home following the failure.
There is one other exception to this. Taking the vehicle to a place of repair or a place to be scrapped. I wouldn't try it on with this last one unless you have pre-booked with a garage/scrap yard as I suspect "riding it round to your mates to fix it" wouldn't go down too well.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2018, 03:44:38 pm »
Elaborating :) ....

If you take the vehicle (car or bike) for an MOT WITHIN it's current MOT expiry date, and it fails on something major (deemed a "dangerous" fault) - even though your existing MOT hasn't yet expired, your vehicle IS now legally considered dangerous to drive, and you are not aloud to take it back onto the road (for example leaving the MOT centre to drive home). The Police can stop you and prosecute.

If your vehicle fails the MOT with 'Minor' faults only, you are still good to drive home or keep using the vehicle until you get it re-tested / within your existing MOT period.

- - - - - -
QUOTE:
Previously, if your car was deemed roadworthy, you could keep driving it even after it failed, provided the old MoT was still valid.

But under the new rules, the moment your car fails, it can be rated as “dangerous” - a new type of MoT category - and driving a vehicle which falls under that defect category means a fine of up to £2,500 and three points on your licence.
- - - - - -

...Therefore for all future MOT's I'll book in the car, as well as book a taxi for the ride home!  :eek :lol
« Last Edit: 27 April 2018, 03:47:18 pm by focced_off »

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2018, 01:59:38 pm »
here's a quick question on this subject,
I'm picking up a triumph 25/5 on 15 plate MOT
1st MOT not due till July Dealer has agreed to MOT early, would the date be actual date it is carried out or can they date it a month in advance ie June?
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2018, 08:52:39 pm »
It will be the date that the actual MOT test is done.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2018, 10:45:44 pm »
It will be the date that the actual MOT test is done.

Is that the new way now?
I always take my bike in early but they still date it 'til the end of the old one when it passes.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2018, 06:38:13 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2018, 12:06:24 am »
Same as that, I tholught it was up to a month before the old MOT expire so you get a new MOT for 13 months.

If you car has been on a SORN statement and the MOT had run out during that SORN how are you meant to get an MOT?
Apart from a low loader or large trailer, or could you tow it with another car.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2018, 06:45:18 am »

Gov.UK website, so presumably it's up to date.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2018, 08:26:04 am »
Same as that, I tholught it was up to a month before the old MOT expire so you get a new MOT for 13 months.

If you car has been on a SORN statement and the MOT had run out during that SORN how are you meant to get an MOT?
Apart from a low loader or large trailer, or could you tow it with another car.

I'm not sure about SORN but I know you can drive a vehicle with no tax or insurance too and from your nearest MOT station legally as long as it's booked in first. My old man does it all the time when he builds trikes.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2018, 08:29:47 am »
here's a quick question on this subject,
I'm picking up a triumph 25/5 on 15 plate MOT
1st MOT not due till July Dealer has agreed to MOT early, would the date be actual date it is carried out or can they date it a month in advance ie June?

Unless they MOT it less than a month before it expires, it will only get 12 months. Within a month of expiry you will get 12 months from the original expiry date.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2018, 08:41:58 am »
Cheers for your replies.
I was hoping for 13months MO but happy to have 12 months

:)
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!