Date: 19-04-24  Time: 14:44 pm

Author Topic: Blood biker death  (Read 2008 times)

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
Blood biker death
« on: 12 May 2018, 09:35:26 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/07/family-pay-tribute-to-volunteer-blood-biker-killed-in-lancaster-collision

occurred earlier this week and most of you may have seen it

condolences to his family, friends and volunteer colleagues, even with all that hi viz someone has not seen him. But to be fair, I don't know the road so cannot comment on blind spots etc. Be interesting to see what the car driver has to say
fire never sleeps

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Blood biker death
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2018, 05:22:51 pm »
Yeah that's up my way... Sad for all concerned
Intentionally left blank

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2018, 11:18:41 am »
The article mentions nothing about the circumstances of the RTA - just that he was 'working' at the time.

Volunteer blood biker, Superhero, or a weekend biker... is irrelevant. ANOTHER Biker dies following a collision with a car!... says it all.  :thumbdown :biker

I had a car drive into me (almost head-on) like I wasn't even there - the woman driver admitted she didn't even see me coming the other way - on a STRAIGHT road!! Fortunately this happened around a town centre, speeds were < 30mph. Doesn't matter how much HiViz gear you wear, if the car driver isn't paying attention, isn't looking out properly, you are FCUKED as a biker anyway!
« Last Edit: 14 May 2018, 11:31:57 am by focced_off »

windyg

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2018, 07:34:46 pm »
Russell's funeral is due to take place this Friday 18th May at 12.15 at Kendal Parrish Church.

We are currently expecting in the region of 300 bikes to follow the coffin to the church and then onto the crematorium if you would like to come along to pay your respects every one is meeting at the J36 Rural Auction Centre just off J36 of the M6 between 9 and 11am prior to setting off at approx 11.15

https://www.facebook.com/events/163546100990691/

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2018, 10:10:08 am »
Windyg....didn't see your reply until now as I've been full of flu and would've went. Saw a video clip of the funeral that showed many bikers attending. Hope that was some comfort to Russell's family as it was a good show of respect
fire never sleeps

windyg

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2018, 10:57:22 am »
Maddog  Thank you for the thoughts and i am sorry you couldnt make it, hope your feeling better now.

Yes we did give him a good send off. We had tried to warn his family what to expect but they where blown away when nearly 500 bikes turned up to ride with Russ for a final time. I also have to say the support and respect and understanding shown by the people of Kendal
was beyond belief.

The route to the Church took us past Westmorland General Hospital which is were Russ had set off from on the journey that killed him, It looked like all the staff and half the patients where on the pavement to pay there respects, and yes I lost it at that point.

I spent a bit of time talking to some of his family after the Crematorium and yes it did help.