Date: 19-03-24  Time: 09:38 am

Author Topic: FAQ: ULEZ charge and how it effects you!  (Read 59765 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
FAQ: ULEZ charge and how it effects you!
« on: 13 May 2018, 01:46:35 pm »
Summary

Like many others I have been aware of this Bull$hit for a while now, but as the new ULEZ (Ultra low emission zone) is coming into force by 8th April 2019 I thought I'd better check the status of both my bikes, a 2006 Bandit 1200 & 2005 Fazer 1000. Both bikes were were 'according to TFL" NO LONGER Euro 3 exempt.  I found all the relevant sites where you can put in your reg and it will tell you if your bike is exempt -
Getting your bike exempt/compliant

If you know your bike is Euro3 compliant but -
  • The date of registration is before 01st July 2007, TFL will consider it non-compliant.
  • The date is as above but the Exhaust Emission section is populated, then all you need to do is send a copy of the V5C to the ULEZ dept at TFL and they will then update the website to show it as compliant.(may not require having to create a TFL account so good).
  • But if the date is before 01/01/07 and the Exhaust Emission section is not-populated, then you can either request a letter of homologation from Yamaha stating the Euro3 status (I believe there is no charge for this, which is the route I am going down).
  • Or you can just pay the £75 to Yamaha to get a CoC if the bike is older than 2002 (Euro3 came in for motorcycles in 2002)
  • Honda don't charge for the CoC, while all the others do - Yamaha(£70), Kawasaki (TBC), Suzuki (£90).
  • An alternative (albeit scam) option, if you can't get a Euro3 status letter or a CoC, is to get it emissions (NOx) tested (see below)
Only testing center in London/Uk.
  • The owner has a family member who works inside TFL. This may or may not explain why -
    • This shop (Riverbank m/c) is only place with the ability to do the emissions test for ULEZ compliance.
    • The charge is £175 and is what most people would consider a scam.
  • If your bike fails the emissions test, RB m/c charge £75 to jam a catalytic convertor into the exhaust (link pipe) of carburetted vehicle.
    • As understand it, fitting a cat to a carburetted vehicle will at best last few months before the cat is useless, therefor fitting it would appear to be fraudulent?
    • The owner has been quoted as saying 'it doesn't matter, once the bike has passed the test you can just remove it'. I will leave the obvious conclusion to you the motorcyclist.
  • Here is a report of a Yamaha RD350 & TDR250 passing the above test, which shows ULEZ is basically a scam.
More info
« Last Edit: 10 June 2021, 04:03:08 pm by b1k3rdude »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: London riders: New Emisions, does it effect you!
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2018, 01:08:51 am »
I found all the relevant sites where you can put in your reg and it will tell you if your bike is exempt -

... At the moment.

IIRC there's already plans to decrease the emissions levels in the next few years, despite the fact that bikes reduce congestion and, thus, pollution :(

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2018, 07:31:04 am »
Obviously does affect my bike, but not my daily commute, so for now i'm not too bothered, but i'm sure they will make the ULEZ zones bigger and more widespread as time goes on.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2018, 08:47:49 am »
I'm surprised they haven't blamed the raise in the number of murders/ knife crime in London on vehicle pollution so they can screw a bit more money out of the motorists.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2018, 08:52:24 am »
By 2020 Leeds and at least 4 more places will have " clean air zones"  and like London these zones will get bigger and bigger and more expensive as they realise how much money they can make out of them.
Just another ploy to use the enviroment as a tax generator and to put the poor and working class back on the bus where they belong, leaving the roads clear for their betters.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2018, 12:00:35 pm »
and to put the poor and working class back on the bus where they belong
Have you been on a bus recently - or at least out here in middle earth you have to be rich to use a bus
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2018, 01:57:42 pm »
Have you been on a bus recently - or at least out here in middle earth you have to be rich to use a bus
That the irony of it all, a bike is and has been cheaper the public transport for a very long time now. I live in Hertfordshire and London at peak times is horrendously expensive @ £25 for 1 day travel card (the return ticket being no better),where as £25 gets me just over two days travel on the bike. And the cost effectiveness of the bike gets even better when used for local journey's.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2018, 02:00:07 pm by b1k3rdude »

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2018, 04:10:57 pm »
What would happen if everyone stopped using their own transport for a week and relied on public transport to work, and nobody bought fuel for vehicles that week. The country would come to a grinding halt, and the treasury would loose millions in fuel tax, vat, and rip off congestion/emission charges. I know it wont happen but perhaps those in power would be more careful when dreaming up schemes to rip drivers off if it did.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2018, 05:11:36 pm »
What would happen if everyone stopped using their own transport for a week and relied on public transport to work, and nobody bought fuel for vehicles that week. The country would come to a grinding halt

That actually happened about 20 years ago didn't it when there was those blockades of the refinery's.

It was a bit like Mad Max 2 with everyone searching for the fuel, the precious fuel!.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2018, 07:21:08 pm »
For anything like that to work all drivers would have to join in no private cars, 4x4s so no one would have a need to buy fuel Left bikes out, as there would be no SMDSY no D**K heads in 4X4S, Audis, BMWs, Mercs  or any other cage so it would be safer for us to ride. 

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2018, 08:38:35 am »

That actually happened about 20 years ago didn't it when there was those blockades of the refinery's.

It was a bit like Mad Max 2 with everyone searching for the fuel, the precious fuel!.

I remember it well. I had enough petrol in my car to get me to/from work for a few more days (about 50 mile round trip) and the company wanted to send me up to Corby for a few days.

I agreed to go on the proviso that they found me a diesel car with a full tank of fuel so I could get home again to Sussex. They found one with half a tank and our warehouse in Corby had its own fuel bunker for the trucks so I could fill it up for the return.

On arriving in Corby they were made to fill the car up BEFORE I started any work so I knew I would get home :)

the roads were deserted though. It was a lovely drive there and back.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 November 2018, 10:41:55 am »
So when they expand the zone as far out as the North & South circular roads in October 2021 is that going to encompass The Ace Cafe?. The actual premises is on the 'outer' side of that road, but will the road to access it be included in the ULEZ charge?.

'Historic' vehicles have an exemption and obviously the really modern bikes are OK, but it would financially affect the riders of everything accesing The Ace that was produced between 1978 and the introduction of Euro 3 wouldn't it?.
Don't expect to see so many classic 80's Japanese two-strokes attending events there in the future if that's the case :rolleyes .

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 November 2018, 10:57:49 am »
Bath's clean air zone is being muted, but won't include any form of motorbike, there is some forward thinking about.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 November 2018, 01:34:50 pm »
the ACE CAFE will be out side the zone travailing on the north circular will be ok
follow me and ile show you were to crash

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,484.msg2583.html#msg2583

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 December 2018, 09:17:49 pm »
^that's true if it's like existing congestion charge zone. You can skirt round it but not enter it.

I live in central london and will be screwed. It will be time to give up biking I think, as anything decent gets nicked or someone will stab you for it at the lights. :-(
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 December 2018, 10:38:57 am »
Time to up sticks and Foc off from Laaaaaaaanddddaaaaan, the place is becoming a disaster area anyway, almost as clean as Mumbai

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 December 2018, 07:22:17 pm »

I am so glad I don't live in London,        to many people no open roads,    jesus ,

sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 January 2019, 09:57:19 am »
I thought I'd better check the status of both my bikes - 2006 Bandit 1200 & 2005 Fazer 1000 (both are Euro 3 so are exempt).

Either I miss-read or the status of the bikes was changed, because now both bikes no longer are and will have to be sold -

- http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,24804.0.html

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 January 2019, 08:07:59 pm »
Bath's clean air zone is being muted, but won't include any form of motorbike, there is some forward thinking about.

For now

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #19 on: 03 January 2019, 09:51:17 pm »
Anyone else seen this: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2019/january/ulez-london-sadiq-khan/
Basically, if you can prove you old pre-2007 bike produces less than 0.15 g/km NOx, there's a fair chance it could be made exempt from the ULEZ. So, anyone got any stats for the our FZS600's or FZS1000's? No mention of NOx on the V5 for my 2003 FZS600.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 January 2019, 11:00:59 am »
If the FZS600 can get an exemption there's hope for everyone!. No chance I'll bet.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #21 on: 04 January 2019, 01:32:36 pm »
Really not sure, seems it certainly fails the Euro-2 standard on CO2 emissions alone (14.8g/km - https://www.ultimatespecs.com/motorcycles-specs/honda/yamaha-fzs-600-fazer-1999). Whereas Euro-2 and Euro-3 stipulate CO2 limits of 5.5 g/km and 2 g/km.

But as far as NOx emissions I can't find anything. :-( If it's below that 0.15 g/km limit for Euro-3, there's a chance the FZS600 could live on in London!

Euro emission standards: https://www.transportpolicy.net/standard/eu-motorcycles-emissions/

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 January 2019, 04:25:12 pm »
Just checked my V5s. Like I suspect everybody else's, my FZS600 doesn't show a NOx figure. My 2015 Tiger 800 shows 0.117 (pass), but my (fuel injection) 2004 Speed Triple shows 0.160 (just fail). So I think we will be lucky to get the 600s and 1000s low enough.

Having said that, if there are no NOx figures registered with dvla for our bikes, shouldn't we be given the benefit of the doubt?

My diesel Mondeo is showing 0.225  :eek On the other hand, any VW that's ever been built passes with flying colours  :lol
« Last Edit: 04 January 2019, 05:11:04 pm by mtread »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 January 2019, 08:13:06 am »
So as I suspected the FZS1000 is technically Euro3 compliant and all we need is a Cert to continue to ride out bikes in London -

- http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=24907.msg291604;boardseen#new
« Last Edit: 15 February 2019, 08:19:48 pm by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 March 2019, 09:05:16 pm »
filler post see next page...
« Last Edit: 15 March 2019, 08:26:39 am by b1k3rdude »