Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

Handlebars - again!

(1/3) > >>

JD-LincsUK:
G'mornin' chathpth!

After my recent worries about my Fazer and whether it was the right bike, if the handlebars were wrong for me, etc etc, I had a ride down to Stamford and back t'other day (with Mrs on the back for 1st time since about 2 years when we got knocked off it - YUSSS!) and it was the best ride I've had in months.

Apart from two things. 1 - I dropped my £320 designer varifocals somehwre along the way  :'(

2 - the right bar was vibrating so badly, my arm was almost completely numb before we'd got half way (it's about 38 miles).

If it weren't for the numbness, I'd have been well chuffed. I've had a read of old posts here and on other biking sites, but nothing really stands out that I can do myself to try and get it at least improved, if not sorted. I have a roll of thin, sheet lead that I could feed into the end(s) of the bar, and I could look at heavier bar ends as the ones I'm using are very light. I'm not convinced either of those will do it, though.
The vibes are very subtle - I don't actually notice them unless I look in the mirrors - left = clear, right = fuzzytown.

Thing is, I have a tube cutter on the way, as I was planning to take an inch or so off the ends of the bars to try and make them more comfy (I've had issues with pain in my hands, which was why all the bar modding palaver started). Now I'm worried that making them shorter will worsen the vibes. I mean, I can't exactly stick the inch back on if it does, can I? And I'm not well off enough to keep buying replacement bits.

So what d'ya fink? Shorter = vibier or worth a shot?

Ta.

Bars are 758

NB: A good point I should have made - I didn't have these vibes before my winter lay-up and both I and my mechanic have adjusted them (in position only) since.

Hugh Mungus:
Do your fingers go white when they go numb? If they do you might have Renauds Syndrome more commonly known as vibration white finger.  I only suggest this as 38 miles is low mileage to be suffering otherwise. My other half can't ride her  own bike because of this.

I bought the heaviest bar ends I could find and it eliminated vibes on one of my bikes. Stainless steel ones. Cost about £35 but well worth it.  I would try that before anything else.

JD-LincsUK:
Ok thanks.

No my fingers don't go white, but I do have circulation issues. My arm often goes numb overnight, for example (same with Mrs) - age, I think! I also have an arthritis wracked body, which doesn't help.

BBROWN1664:
Have you got the original bar ends fitted or some lightweight alloy shite?

If its the latter, get the originals back in there. That will reduce bar vibes.

PieEater:
Unbalanced carbs will cause engine vibration which can be felt through the bars.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version