Date: 20-04-24  Time: 05:23 am

Author Topic: LED BULBS  (Read 1822 times)

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • Half deaf middle aged drummer!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
LED BULBS
« on: 04 May 2018, 11:02:30 am »
Hi,
Can anyone let me have the codes for LED version of side light bulbs please?
Seem to have bought ones that are too small for the holders.  :wall

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: LED BULBS
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2018, 11:42:38 pm »
Can anyone let me have the codes for LED version of side light bulbs please?
They are just w5w/501 wedge bulbs -

https://www.google.com/search?q=w5w+wedge+led&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

(corrected typo)
« Last Edit: 08 May 2018, 09:09:40 am by b1k3rdude »

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2018, 08:38:34 pm »
You'll need 501's ... 502's don't exist

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2018, 08:49:35 am »
Thanks folks..... :)

I did the full dashboard LED swap as well as the side lights - big improvement for a few quid!  :D

Next up is LED cluster bulbs at the tail end!

By the by, I splashed out on Oxford Nano indicators & they are gloriously bright & very discreet BUT they keep flashing too fast when the bike is at low revs....I have used the resistors that came with them, cleaned/renewed all the connections & rang the non existent Oxford tech help dept. only to get no help whatsoever!
A chap at my local main dealer suggested trying using 2 or 3 resistors only as Yams can play up a bit but that didn't work either.
Besides which, surely the problem is a lack of resistance.......?
Curious!

I did these lighting improvements before going to France for 10 days, over 2000 miles round trip - I will post some pics & info in a new thread.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2018, 11:13:49 am »
  • Nexrt up is LED cluster bulbs at the tail end!
  • By the by, I splashed out on Oxford Nano indicators & they are gloriously bright & very discreet BUT
  • they keep flashing too fast when the bike is at low revs....I have used the resistors that came with them, cleaned/renewed all the connections & rang the non existent Oxford tech help dept. only to get no help whatsoever!
  • Halfords do a very good set of rear LED bulbs with a very long warranty - I have a set on my Fazer and Bandit.
  • Where the lead long enough (without the resisters) to plug straight into the wiring loom? and did the bullet connectors have a nice snug fit..?
  • You need to change the relay to one designed for LED bulbs - https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/73833
« Last Edit: 20 May 2018, 11:27:05 am by b1k3rdude »

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2018, 02:52:32 pm »

• Halfords do a very good set of rear LED bulbs with a very long warranty - I have a set on my Fazer and Bandit.
  • Where the lead long enough (without the resisters) to plug straight into the wiring loom? and did the bullet connectors have a nice snug fit..?
  • You need to change the relay to one designed for LED bulbs - https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/73833

Excellent, I will get the rear bulbs from Halfords, I have a trade card for there so oil, bulbs etc. come nicely down in price!
The Oxford Nano leads & connections are plenty good enough....I thought that the point of the resistors was to negate the need for changing your relay?

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2018, 04:26:30 pm »
They are but I find better results from changing the relay. I have some adjustable flash rate ones coming from China, I'll let you know in about 6 weeks if they are any good  :z

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2018, 09:59:20 am »

Finally sorted the Nano flash rate problem.....it seems that the Fazer requires 1 x pair of additional 9w resistors (£4.99 per pair from Oxford)....one on each side & the flash rate is spot on!  :)