Date: 25-04-24  Time: 00:58 am

Author Topic: Adding Hazard Lights  (Read 1619 times)

Ergzzz

• Cager in Training
  • Spade David
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX 1200
    • View Profile
Adding Hazard Lights
« on: 29 April 2018, 10:53:29 am »
Hello FOCers,

I have a 98 600 Fazer and I'm looking at adding hazard lights to it. I have an on/off switch with two pins that I was hoping to use but on further research it looks like i might need a switch with four pins to connect power, earth and lights. I've not done this before and I would appreciate any advice.

Ta.
Divad Edaps

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: Adding Hazard Lights
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2018, 11:18:26 am »
ooh the 98 doesnt have hazards (yep i did a quick look on ebay to double check)
if you get a later model switch with the button and have a look through the two wiring diagrams to find the difference you should be able to fit them easy enough with an extra couple of wires

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2018, 11:23:27 am »
just had a quick look at the difference - looks like a 2k switch cluster will just plug and play onto a 98 loom and you will have hazards
the electrical magic is done in the switch cluster so as long as the plug is the same (most likely is) it should be plug and play

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2018, 01:46:49 pm »
When you've been riding bikes for years & never had hazard warning lights you don't miss not having them,bit like when I had a bike with self cancelling indicators (91 Yam RD350 YPVS) good idea that you don't leave them flashing by mistake but you find yourself double checking their still on when turning. :)     

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2018, 01:56:20 pm »
the fazer is the first bike i have had with indicators in years and i have been guilty of leaving them on once or twice
only used hazards a handfull of times usually to check all my bulbs are working or to tell other road users they have left theres on
(only once due to a breakdown as i ran out of fuel and was pushing along a road at night to the petrol station)

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2018, 08:29:47 pm »
just had a quick look at the difference - looks like a 2k switch cluster will just plug and play onto a 98 loom and you will have hazards
the electrical magic is done in the switch cluster so as long as the plug is the same (most likely is) it should be plug and play

I can confirm the connectors are the same and the later switch fits the earlier bikes.  Hazards work fine but ignition has to be on, I think the on the bikes with hazards as standard they also work with the ignition switch in the parking light position

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2018, 11:33:32 pm »
Given the choice I would not have the hazards at all, about as much use on a motorcycle as Air Con

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2018, 01:25:19 am »
Given the choice I would not have the hazards at all, about as much use on a motorcycle as Air Con

if a C90 dont have it then it is not needed - how can the worlds most produced motorcycle be wrong
and you can deliver your noodles while riding one handed so how could Fujisawa be wrong

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2018, 07:33:10 am »
Yep useless mod imho but each to their own. Worked with a guy years back who rigged up a set with a flasher unit and a dpst switch, used it when he was filtering on the motorway apparently. He did however wear cardigans and ride a Pan European, which is how these guy roll.  :lol
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.