Date: 25-04-24  Time: 12:09 pm

Author Topic: Handlebar Lock  (Read 3634 times)

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
Handlebar Lock
« on: 27 April 2018, 06:26:42 pm »
Lock has anyone ever  used a handlebar lock?  Are they any good and can you recommend the best one.  It for use on MT-03. Being a small bike it would be easier to steal.  Any advice welcome.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Handlebar Lock
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2018, 06:32:53 pm »
To be honest anything is better than nothing but a big arse chain locked an immovable object is always best. Any sort of steering or disc lock is only gonna stop opportunist thieves. If someone really wants it they can just lift it into a van..... unless it's locked to something

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2018, 07:22:18 pm »
https://www.devittinsurance.com/guides/security/

Some interesting bits on there 👍

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile

nickm

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2018, 07:52:41 pm »
To be honest anything is better than nothing but a big arse chain locked an immovable object is always best. Any sort of steering or disc lock is only gonna stop opportunist thieves. If someone really wants it they can just lift it into a van..... unless it's locked to something

I did think about a chain but the problem is storing it on the bike.  I get the bike next week so will have to work it out then.  I never ever locked my Fazer.  Just steering lock in town.
Thanks for the advice.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2018, 08:24:04 pm »
I usually wear my chain around my waist like a belt if I know I'm going somewhere that I'll need it. Its not the most comfortable but I prefer that over carrying it in a backpack. I also keep an alarmed disc lock under the seat at all times for the odd stop off while out on a ride.
Anything to keep the thieving bastards at bay haha

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2018, 10:42:09 am »
I usually wear my chain around my waist like a belt if I know I'm going somewhere that I'll need it. Its not the most comfortable but I prefer that over carrying it in a backpack. I also keep an alarmed disc lock under the seat at all times for the odd stop off while out on a ride.
Anything to keep the thieving bastards at bay haha

I wouldn't bother, if your chain is even remotely comfortable around your waist then it ain't good enough anyway.
I've got some bastardly heavy chain that sits quite happily under the seat on some bubble wrap, try there instead.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2018, 03:20:09 pm »
You don't have an fz1 darrsi, the disc lock fills up all of the underseat storage haha and my chain is a squire tc19 so it's plenty heavy and thick enough, certainly not comfortable but nothing i cant put up with for the sake of keeping the bike safe for the day

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2018, 02:21:48 pm »
I usually wear my chain around my waist like a belt if I know I'm going somewhere that I'll need it. Its not the most comfortable but I prefer that over carrying it in a backpack.

In a freak accident that will likely slice you in 2 when it snags something! Nothing should be hung around the body riding a motorcycle at any speeds.
If anything, it gives the thieves something to grab, to pull you off you bike easily.  :whip

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2018, 03:29:20 pm »
I usually wear my chain around my waist like a belt if I know I'm going somewhere that I'll need it. Its not the most comfortable but I prefer that over carrying it in a backpack.

In a freak accident that will likely slice you in 2 when it snags something! Nothing should be hung around the body riding a motorcycle at any speeds.
If anything, it gives the thieves something to grab, to pull you off you bike easily.  :whip

What can I say....

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2018, 08:46:40 am »
Following reports of bike thieving gangs operating in Leeds (and getting nowt but a slapped wrist) I have binned my disc lock and take a chain and padlock into town. I bought an Autokicker mini pack, just big enough for a F*** - off chain and padlock, looks reasonably unobtrusive on the pillion seat and not expensive. Certainly wouldn't be happy / comfortable with a chain round my waist. These days my living dangerously goes as far as "Love, I've decided I'm gonna chop my Tracer in for an new (insert bike here) - it's on offer.."
That usually raises the adrenalin in our house for a few days... :lol