Date: 29-03-24  Time: 01:50 am

Author Topic: Question for MT10 owners.  (Read 3440 times)

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Question for MT10 owners.
« on: 26 April 2018, 06:46:12 pm »
How are your bikes holding up for age related wear and tear?

I'm debating to go back to an FZ1S or to get a 16 plate 10. After seeing how my Tracer 900 has taken to the UK weather/roads with a fair bit of corrosion, rusty bolts, etc, I thought I'd see how yours were doing.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: Question for MT10 owners.
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2018, 09:02:35 pm »
Mines holding up well but I avoid taking it out on salted roads if I can help it and have treated it to a healthy dose of ACF50.
I noticed a little annodisation on a lower bracket soon after I bought it when I took it out on gritted roads and this year during  the cold snap I took it out and put it away unwashed then found the mesh on the air intakes looked rusty.
I gave them a good spray with ACF and rubbed them with a rag and it seems to have bought them back.
Bottom line is our salted roads will eat away at all bikes unless steps are taken to protect and clean them regularly.

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2018, 08:00:36 am »
Cheers Dazza, sounds like it's not built to the same standards as the 9. I ran an 08 plate FZ1S over 2 winters and it was fine compared to the 9 over 1 winter and both bikes were washed the same amount of times in my usual way with the same stuff.

How do you rate your 10 overall. I'm tempted to get a used one. They seem to be starting from £8.5k for the non fluo colours while a decent late'ish Fazer from 10 plates are less than half that amount.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2018, 12:18:51 pm »
The 10 is a bad bike. It makes you do bad things, irresponsible things. Things that other road users frown upon but has this ability to make you think " This is normal and compulsory and I feel fantastic so I don't care what you think"
Sometimes, I have to take it home when it gets really bad.
Still want one ?  :lol
« Last Edit: 27 April 2018, 12:46:20 pm by dazza »

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2018, 01:29:17 pm »
In theory, Dazza should have a serious issue with the fork seals, but I notice he hasn't mentioned them, so they are potentially still holding up well!

Another plus to owning an MT10 (Having ridden with Dazza). You'll get around 40,000 miles out of a front tyre  :b
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2018, 05:25:20 pm »
PMSL @ 40k  :lol

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2018, 06:46:58 pm »

The Fazer I quite liked was no longer available.

Bit the bullet and bought a 10 and I get it next week.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2018, 08:52:44 pm »
This is a bastard thread as I am so tempted. Test road one at easter on the Yamaha ride day, that made it even worse. Waiting for the prices to come down, so another couple of years.
What mpg are you getting as this seems to be the only Achilles heel that I can find?
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2018, 12:10:18 am »
In theory, Dazza should have a serious issue with the fork seals, but I notice he hasn't mentioned them, so they are potentially still holding up well!

Another plus to owning an MT10 (Having ridden with Dazza). You'll get around 40,000 miles out of a front tyre  :b

But I heard less than 1K out of the rear :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2018, 06:25:12 am »
This is a bastard thread as I am so tempted. Test road one at easter on the Yamaha ride day, that made it even worse. Waiting for the prices to come down, so another couple of years.
What mpg are you getting as this seems to be the only Achilles heel that I can find?

mr nick ....if your worried about MPG you shouldn't be looking at 1 litre bikes......iam a lucky foccer , I have a 6 and a mighty thou , I know if I take it easy on the 6 I can get 60 mpg , I haven't a clue what the thou does , but on a full days ride it has been known for me to fill up 3 times.......I do get in at the end of the day grinning from ear to ear though    :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2018, 01:30:32 pm »

mr nick ....if your worried about MPG you shouldn't be looking at 1 litre bikes......iam a lucky foccer , I have a 6 and a mighty thou , I know if I take it easy on the 6 I can get 60 mpg , I haven't a clue what the thou does , but on a full days ride it has been known for me to fill up 3 times.......I do get in at the end of the day grinning from ear to ear though    :thumbup

Im beginning to realise this, my mate has a 05 r1, and he wasn't fazed by the mpg. Just its a massive shock from the 600. At least my knees and back would get a regular break, although it was very comfortable unlike the mt09 which I found very uncomfortable.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2018, 02:53:16 pm »

Im beginning to realise this, my mate has a 05 r1, and he wasn't fazed by the mpg. Just its a massive shock from the 600. At least my knees and back would get a regular break, although it was very comfortable unlike the mt09 which I found very uncomfortable.

hi nick , both bikes are good as we all know , the 6 is a great allrounder and IMO very hard to beat , both bikes have thier advantages the two that stand out in my view are.....600 MPG......1000 comfort......happy to ride all day on the thou but the 6 i need a rest before the tanks dry.........go on spoil yourself....have both    :thumbup
« Last Edit: 29 April 2018, 04:18:21 pm by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 April 2018, 07:14:41 pm »

hi nick , both bikes are good as we all know , the 6 is a great allrounder and IMO very hard to beat , both bikes have thier advantages the two that stand out in my view are.....600 MPG......1000 comfort......happy to ride all day on the thou but the 6 i need a rest before the tanks dry.........go on spoil yourself....have both    :thumbup

Lol its called garage space, money and wife! Although I could twist it and say the 600 is ideal as a first bike for her as and when she comes to ride.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 April 2018, 07:55:05 am »
It's only money   :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 April 2018, 11:33:20 am »
It's only money   :lol

And the wife and garage space or alternatively out the wife and have the bikes in the lounge, problem solved, just sign here Sir.  :lol

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2018, 09:25:48 pm »

Lol its called garage space, money and wife! Although I could twist it and say the 600 is ideal as a first bike for her as and when she comes to ride.

It doesn't work Mr Nick you'll end up like me.......the wife rides the Fazer 1000 and I get the 600 (at least until our son gets home from Uni and wants his bike back).