Date: 24-04-24  Time: 15:54 pm

Author Topic: Engine bars/guard  (Read 2074 times)

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Engine bars/guard
« on: 26 April 2018, 12:59:01 pm »
Hi all

Recently just fixed up my FZS600 after coming off it about a month ago (minor damage) however both times I've come off it the crankcase cover seems to take the most damage. I've been debating on getting a set of Engine bars to go around the engine because if I come off it again I don't mind having to fork out for new bars, I'm just getting tired of having to find more crankcase covers  :lol .

My question is what are the best ones to get in everyone's opinion? Anyone have any recommendations? I'm not interested in crash protectors bar that goes through the bike with rubber bits either side, would definitely only be interested in the actual bar cages looking things to go round the engine.

Hope one of you can help like you always do.

Thanks in advance  :D
[/size]

Starfazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Engine bars/guard
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2018, 01:23:40 pm »
Funnily enough I was just looking at these the other day:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183173700083
They are well reviewed, but maybe somebody here has them and can comment?

hopefiendboy

• DAS Born Again
  • Second time Fazer owner- back to the womb
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - none
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2018, 02:08:48 pm »
Hi all

Recently just fixed up my FZS600 after coming off it about a month ago (minor damage) however both times I've come off it the crankcase cover seems to take the most damage. I've been debating on getting a set of Engine bars to go around the engine because if I come off it again I don't mind having to fork out for new bars, I'm just getting tired of having to find more crankcase covers  :lol .

My question is what are the best ones to get in everyone's opinion? Anyone have any recommendations? I'm not interested in crash protectors bar that goes through the bike with rubber bits either side, would definitely only be interested in the actual bar cages looking things to go round the engine.

Hope one of you can help like you always do.

Thanks in advance  :D

Did you have crash bungs fitted?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2018, 02:19:30 pm »
 Here are mine. Just the lower section bars and quite discrete.
Here are mine

Fitted
« Last Edit: 26 April 2018, 02:21:27 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

daviee

« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2018, 06:19:54 pm »
if they swivel on impact they look  like they will go through the sump

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2018, 07:45:18 pm »
I had to look at my own picture to see what you were talking about. I think for that to happen the upper mount would need to bend but also bend on the same axis but it is mounted on the opsite axis so wont bend like that --------- or something.
For me its not big spills I am protecting against but just stupid drops by myself really - rolled off the side stand last year as I did not realise how steep the hill was but luckily it tipped over on ME and a grass bank. So just stupid things like that.     

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2018, 11:49:13 pm »
As much as I like the one that Fazersharp has I would be looking for something that pretty much covers the whole area like the one Starfazer put the link up for.

I just want the best one on the market, I really like the look of them on the bike, would love to see which one has the best reviews

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2018, 09:50:36 am »
As much as I like the one that Fazersharp has I would be looking for something that pretty much covers the whole area like the one Starfazer put the link up for.
I just want the best one on the market, I really like the look of them on the bike, would love to see which one has the best reviews
Ah in that case you will not like mine as one of the reasons I brought those is because I do not like them - not on our bike anyway and wanted something that was not that noticeable. 

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2018, 01:41:13 pm »

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2018, 11:17:18 pm »
i got heed bars they pretty much cover everything https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGINE-GUARD-CRASH-BARS-HEED-YAMAHA-FZS-600-FZS600-FZ6-FAZER-98-03/183173700083?fits=UKM_CCM%3A600%7CUKM_StreetName%3AFazer&epid=698866665&hash=item2aa600d9f3:g:JoAAAOSwT2daCsaY

For me it's between the Heed or Renntec bars, I like the fact the Heed bars cover everything, that's what I'm looking for

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2018, 08:37:21 pm »
The rentec bars rear mount bracket is attached to the footrest mounting bolts and the plate extends forward and stops you taking the sprocket cover off when they are fitted.  Makes getting to the sprocket a pain since the bars have to come off too.  The Heed ones rear fitting uses the engine mount above the gear box which I think is better. 

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #12 on: 29 April 2018, 10:56:31 pm »
I had to look at my own picture to see what you were talking about. I think for that to happen the upper mount would need to bend but also bend on the same axis but it is mounted on the opsite axis so wont bend like that --------- or something.
For me its not big spills I am protecting against but just stupid drops by myself really - rolled off the side stand last year as I did not realise how steep the hill was but luckily it tipped over on ME and a grass bank. So just stupid things like that.   

Got them on mine, and have tested them, several times. Had a few spills, had bike on side, smashed fairing lights, bent bars scraped tank. But bars only bent a little and engine always been grand to ride home. Even after binning it on track in France and riding back to London. They work great at protecting the engine and gear/rear brake levers.
 :eek

Each time, just bent them back with rubber mallet and loosened them off to rotate them back. Did replace them once, as they had been indented quite a bit and lost all the paint - so just looked a bit shabby.