Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

EU to UK headlight reflector swap, any advice appreciated.

(1/6) > >>

stuboy:
Hello,

so got a 2002 french import Fazer 1000 thats been Ivanized last year and a keeper (thanks mike). I can't get a new GB headlight assembly 5LV-84310-10 for love nor money. Got a spare supposedly uk headlight unit that came off a Fazer 600 off of ebay with a battered casing, 3 lugs missing, scratched lenses. Also no 5LV part number that i can see on either. 

My original french headlight casing and lenses are in good nick, got all the lugs intact. The reflectors inside the battered headlight which I am hoping is a UK one have got P1191 stamped on them with a code M60+GF10. The French reflectors have got 5868 and same code M60+GF10.

I want to crack them open and rebuild the French headlightlight with the P1191 reflectors to get a UK compliant headlight.

Can anyone tell me if these P1191 reflectors are for a UK headlight ? also do I have to bake the headlight to crack the lenses off ?  I have got the headlight unit off the bike no drama and am ready to go here.

Any advice welcome,

Stuart

Falcon 269:
Can't help with confirmation on the actual reflectors but did a similar swap many years ago with '99 model R1 lights.  I found the front and rear sections of the headlight unit mouldings were held together with snap lugs (easy to prize open) and black mastic. 

If the Fazer headlight unit is of similar construction, you should be able to split them and sort the reflectors easily enough.  Maybe consider a bit of heat gun or hair dryer warming to make it all separate more easily.

stuboy:
Thank-you for that Mike, I have actually got a heat gun. I will dig it out now as would prefer using that more than baking it.

BBROWN1664:
The 600 and 1000 are different shapes.

Have a look on one of the French (or other) expat forums as there are always people looking for EU lights for their British spec bikes they have taken over to France etc

unfazed:

--- Quote from: BBROWN1664 on 20 April 2018, 03:00:50 pm ---The 600 and 1000 are different shapes.

Have a look on one of the French (or other) expat forums as there are always people looking for EU lights for their British spec bikes they have taken over to France etc

--- End quote ---

The Box eye headlight is totally different to the Fzs1000, but the foxeye 600 headlight are exactly the same.

I have swapped the reflectors on a few occasions converting the lights from EU to Irish/UK (get a damaged unit with good reflectors)
The line in the reflectors will angle down on the right (left looking in to the unit from the front) on the Irish/Uk models and the left (right looking in from the front)on the EU model. The USA ones are straight lined.
A heat gun will suffice with care, left and right lens come off indivudally not one complete lens like the boxeye

The reflectors are held in by the 2 adjusters and a ball end and plastic clip.
Measure the heights of the reflectors near the adjusters to make setting up the lights easier when finished

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version