Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:07 pm

Author Topic: Earplugs  (Read 4844 times)

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Earplugs
« on: 18 April 2018, 10:58:39 pm »
Apologies if this topic has already been covered / done to death but...
I have just spent 15 minutes digging around to remove a pinlock earplug that got "lost" (jammed) down my ear canal. They're for the bin, waste of 20 quid. At home, 'cos Mrs Wharfe snores like a seal colony, I use E.A.R. foam  plugs, but under a helmet they feel a bit bulky, despite doing the trick adequately well and not getting lost. And being dirt cheap if bought in bulk.
My question - does anyone have a cheap effective alternative to disposable foam plugs? I'm not fagged to go down the route of bespoke moulded plugs as they're expensive and I'll only lose them. 
Your thorts please ladies n gents....

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Earplugs
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2018, 11:11:07 pm »
Hi Wharfe, Swimmers putty is my weapon of choice when i'm doing long distance motorway miles- they work a treat for me but everyone's different.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoggs-Silicone-Comfort-Confidence-Swimming/dp/B001C3AJNM
« Last Edit: 18 April 2018, 11:12:07 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2018, 11:31:09 pm »
I have tried loads of plugs and found that the swimming putty distorts when I put my lid on and I have to shove my hand up and try to re "pad" it in place.
I have issues that mean I do not put the plugs down the canal so find that the fatter ones best but I need to cut off 1/5th of the outside end otherwise the lid rips them out when I put it on.
I have tried a cheap version of molded ones with a silicone putty that sets to a hard rubber. It was great when still soft and setting but when I refit they let noise past.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2018, 12:58:46 am »
Hmm the swimmers putty looks like it's worth an experiment. Ta Celticdog.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2018, 06:32:54 am »
There is a company called Lucy Dell Ear Plugshttps://sites.google.com/site/earplugsbypost/home that I've used for years now.

You can buy a mixed bag of ear plugs to enable you to try various types and find one that works the best, and then buy a bulk order once you've found a good fit.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2018, 09:46:33 am »
The best noise suppression and comfort for me are the Howard leights foam disposables. Cheap and I have tonnes in my pockets.

I always carry an 'emergency' set or reusables on my key ring and these are called "thunder plugs". These are 'tuned' so you can hear a bit more but without the harmful high and low frequencies (..apparently). Not quiet enough for me. I prefer to have the quietest I can buy and like foam disposables because you can push them in so far there is no air between them and your ear drum, they actually touch your eardrum. Quiet is great on long tours!
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2018, 10:55:59 am »
H-ears what I have tried. Right now using the orange ones that I cut down. The two sets of purple ones are home made starts soft and then sets, the bigger set cut out the most but I can not get my helmet on with them  :eek the smaller set were perfect when wet but once set and put back they leak sound, because they are a perfect fit and need to be a tiny fraction bigger to seal.
The Pro Docs sounded just what I needed but just don't fit well enough to block sound.
I forgot to add in the picture the pack of silicone wax ones I mentioned.
I have just ordered a pair of 3M push ins that come on stalks that I intend to cut off so I can get my lid on.
My problem is too much wax - or rather I have the correct amount but narrow ear canals and one that is bent ! so shoving a plug right down is not an option as that pushes any wax onto the ear drum.
« Last Edit: 19 April 2018, 11:52:32 am by fazersharp »

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2018, 06:04:18 pm »
Mr Hornby sir, that is very useful. The option to try 20 different pairs is brilliant. I'll happily punt £10 to establish what is best for my ears. Ta!
At first glance their ordering system looks a little convoluted but I'll give it a go....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2018, 08:50:28 pm »
New update from me, I tried the push in ones in the picture with the blue bit cut off and they are ok until you start singing and then they loose their position. I went right back to my very first earplugs (not the same ones) 3M standard and they work just fine cut down a bit and are good sound blockers so I think I will just go with them.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2018, 08:51:58 pm by fazersharp »

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2018, 08:21:07 pm »
It looks like (for me) the Howard Leights or the equivalent 3M (E.A.R. Rsoft FX)  are the ones, they're basically identical, seem to fit and block out a bunch of noise. The closed cell foam is way more effective than the cylindrical E.A.R. ones I had been using. Sorted. Thanks for the input gents.

Creaky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2018, 08:38:02 pm »
I've been happy with my pin lock ear plugs. They do supply 2 sizes of plug so you can choose the best fit for your ear canal and have a short side stalk to aid removal. Easy to wash and I store them in a clean handkerchief when I'm off the bike rather than the supplied holder which is a bit too fiddly for my liking.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2018, 09:26:51 pm »
Apologies if this topic has already been covered / done to death but...
I have just spent 15 minutes digging around to remove a pinlock earplug that got "lost" (jammed) down my ear canal. They're for the bin, waste of 20 quid. At home, 'cos Mrs Wharfe snores like a seal colony, I use E.A.R. foam  plugs, but under a helmet they feel a bit bulky, despite doing the trick adequately well and not getting lost. And being dirt cheap if bought in bulk.
My question - does anyone have a cheap effective alternative to disposable foam plugs? I'm not fagged to go down the route of bespoke moulded plugs as they're expensive and I'll only lose them. 
Your thorts please ladies n gents....

Put her into the garage and bring the bike in, problem solved :lol

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2018, 05:45:05 am »

It looks like (for me) the Howard Leights or the equivalent 3M (E.A.R. Rsoft FX)  are the ones, they're basically identical, seem to fit and block out a bunch of noise. The closed cell foam is way more effective than the cylindrical E.A.R. ones I had been using. Sorted. Thanks for the input gents.

Hope it works out well.

My problem is too much wax - or rather I have the correct amount but narrow ear canals and one that is bent ! so shoving a plug right down is not an option as that pushes any wax onto the ear drum.

It is a relief to hear (pun intended) that I am not alone with this problem. I will not shove anything into my ears as I fear the consequences - I have suffered pain and almost total deafness in the past.

I do buy a decent helmet though. Currently own a Shoei Neotec flip lid, it is a little noisier than my previous Shoei full face lid but the wind noise is at an acceptable level. I once bought a Caberg flip lid and used it for a 400 mile trip, what a horrible experience. If I could have bought another helmet that weekend I would have thrown the Caberg away there and then.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2018, 10:33:11 am »

It is a relief to hear (pun intended) that I am not alone with this problem. I will not shove anything into my ears as I fear the consequences - I have suffered pain and almost total deafness in the past.

I do buy a decent helmet though. Currently own a Shoei Neotec flip lid, it is a little noisier than my previous Shoei full face lid but the wind noise is at an acceptable level. I once bought a Caberg flip lid and used it for a 400 mile trip, what a horrible experience. If I could have bought another helmet that weekend I would have thrown the Caberg away there and then.
The issue is compounded because I dont shove them all the way in then the DB qualities are no as they should.
It would be great to have a wind tunnel helmet test on MY bike with different helmets because each bike with different riders will produce differing sound depending on their height and the bike and screen ect. 
Will give the E.A.R Rsoft FX a go

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 May 2018, 10:32:07 pm »
I use the orange m3 ones, but find they work better for me by putting the squared off end into my ear and the rounded bit out.

If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 May 2018, 10:47:12 pm »
Like I say, Howard leights rolled matchstick thin and pushed in as far as they go. Hold in place as they expand and they are lovely and quiet with Schuberth C3 lid. I've never lost one yet.

Although.. I'd love to be able to block out external noise and listen to music!
Does anyone know what earpieces / radio earplugs formula 1 drivers use? Or where to get decent moulded audio plugs?

-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2018, 12:51:46 am »
Although.. I'd love to be able to block out external noise and listen to music!

Blocking out all external noise would not be very sensible, but with the Scala Rider QZ Bluetooth headset, I can listen to music from my phone via the speakers in my helmet and still be able to hear sounds from outside when I need to.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2018, 07:49:30 am »
Like I say, Howard leights rolled matchstick thin and pushed in as far as they go. Hold in place as they expand and they are lovely and quiet with Schuberth C3 lid. I've never lost one yet.

That's one thing that bugs me with all earplugs is that I think they should expand quicker so you do not have to stand there either looking like you are starting your prayer facing east or looking like a singer.

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2018, 11:17:46 am »
A couple of points (loosely) connected. First, can anyone recommend an earplug that reminds you to put the damn things in, before you put your lid on? Or should I look for a short-term-memory transplant?  :lol 

Second - all this talk of wax, blocked ears etc - Has anyone else here had their ears syringed? I've had need of it on a couple of occasions and I have to say it's been just foccin' garjus coming away from the GP's suddenly able to hear two gnats shaggin' in a rainstorm at 30 yards. Almost worth the preceding discomfort..

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2018, 11:46:30 am »
Second - all this talk of wax, blocked ears etc - Has anyone else here had their ears syringed? I've had need of it on a couple of occasions and I have to say it's been just foccin' garjus coming away from the GP's suddenly able to hear two gnats shaggin' in a rainstorm at 30 yards. Almost worth the preceding discomfort..
Yep me too have experienced that - its like when someone transitions to a vampire and can hear everything. I do believe that it is not good for your ears though. I recommend an eardrop with bicarbonate of soda  https://pharmacyoutlet.co.uk/ear-care/625-care-plus-sodium-bicarbonate-ear-drops-10ml.html.
Put it in over night wipe off excess and I put in a little bit of cotton wool to stop any leaking out onto the pillow. Repeat twice in the day and the following night and you will see when you wipe that the clear liquid is now wiping yellow - wax.
Only do one ear at a time because when the wax gets soft you will be very deaf in that ear until it has gone. I did this for the first time last year and then when to to doctors so they could have a proper look in there and they said I did a good job

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2018, 03:38:49 pm »
Yeah, with you all the way - now I know I am prone to wax, and tend also to compress it with aforementioned earplugs, I treat my ears myself every few months with Otex or something similar. This also after a b*ll*cking from the practice nurse (!) who clearly felt syringing my ears was somehow beneath her... Cheeky cow, it's yer job FFS....

Dea-ville

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2018, 07:05:17 pm »
Ear wax??? i'm a martyr to the feckin stuff, a few years back the need for syringing was getting to be every couple of months or so & as you may know syringing isn't good for the ears so now i have to put olive oil in twice a week otherwise it hardens like bell metal & it's a hammer & chisel job. Failing that i could always open me own candle shop. ;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2018, 07:29:39 pm »
Ear wax??? i'm a martyr to the feckin stuff, a few years back the need for syringing was getting to be every couple of months or so & as you may know syringing isn't good for the ears so now i have to put olive oil in twice a week otherwise it hardens like bell metal & it's a hammer & chisel job. Failing that i could always open me own candle shop. ;)
Why don't you leave a little bit of string in there and every two weeks pull out a nice little candle   

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2018, 07:32:06 pm »
There is a plus side to too much - Mrs Sharp lug holes must be as clean as a whistle and the slightest breeze and she get ear ache I think the wind just gos straight in and bounces off here ear drum

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2018, 08:26:03 pm »
Some years ago there was a story - purportedly a true one - in the back of the British Medical Journal (my landlady was a doctor ok?) - A woman had gone to her GP complaining of "something stuck in me ear". A quick inspection revealed a bead or somesuch lodged deep in her ear, and she was advised to book with the nurse for a syringing. "Oh?" says the lady. "Can't you just poke something through the other side, like a knitting needle or summat, and push it out?" The GP paused to take in the full extent of this woman's stupidity, before coming back with "well normally madam, the presence of a large intra-cranial mass prevents such a procedure. However in your case I think it might be possible..."