Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:16 pm

Author Topic: % Brighter Bulbs  (Read 3273 times)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
% Brighter Bulbs
« on: 18 April 2018, 08:43:46 pm »
Off to a wedding in Ireland in June, and may have a couple of hours of motorway miles coming back in the dark.
Im not too bothered by my lights at night but then again I barely ride at night, not for a couple of hours any way.
So was wondering about 50,60 100% brighter bulbs.
Do they make a difference?
Are they just a straight swap or is there some fettling required due to motorbike wiring, I know its a straight swap on a car.

Cheers
Nick
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: % Brighter Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2018, 08:48:58 pm »
Off to a wedding in Ireland in June, and may have a couple of hours of motorway miles coming back in the dark.
Im not too bothered by my lights at night but then again I barely ride at night, not for a couple of hours any way.
Are they just a straight swap or is there some fettling required due to motorbike wiring, I know its a straight swap on a car.

Cheers
Nick

Hi Nick, yes it's a straight swap on the fzs 600. Osram nightbreakers or the Philips Xtreme are good choices. You'll need a H1 and a H4 bulb for the headlights.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2018, 08:57:44 pm »

Cheers
Nick

Hi Nick, yes it's a straight swap on the fzs 600. Osram nightbreakers or the Philips Xtreme are good choices. You'll need a H1 and a H4 bulb for the headlights.

As above, but for the Foxeye it is 2 X  H4. I use the Osram Nightbreakers on the bikes and the Philips Extremes in the car, both make a big difference

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2018, 09:23:12 pm »
im a big fan of the osrams i throw them in everything
dont be fooled by the cheap chinese bulbs with higher wattage they are just useless and can burn out wiring

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2018, 11:07:13 pm »

As above, but for the Foxeye it is 2 X  H4. I use the Osram Nightbreakers on the bikes and the Philips Extremes in the car, both make a big difference

Well spotted Unfazed! I forgot it's 2 x H4's on the foxeye model.  :o
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2018, 11:28:05 pm »
 :thumbup

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2018, 11:36:14 pm »

Cheers
Nick

Same as he said 2X H4 Nightbreakers  my lights on the foxeye were good before but just for the hell of it I fitted the upgraded Osrams, brilliant! No they are brilliant in both ways, great bulbs a really bright.
I have also fitted two Cree LED spots, my bike lights are now brighter than my SLK.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2018, 11:37:14 pm »
Tried both of the max high strength bulbs, but the added spotlights are the way forward.
Totally trounce the headlights.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2018, 01:24:06 am »
I too swear by the Osram nightbreakers. However if the Cree spots i'm about to put on my Tracer do the biz then Obvs it makes sense to do the same to the Fazer too, esp as I use it for commuting, often late at night. Where / how have folks fitted them? (Yeah yeah, at the front, facing forward - I know... ;) )

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2018, 08:43:55 am »
I too swear by the Osram nightbreakers. However if the Cree spots i'm about to put on my Tracer do the biz then Obvs it makes sense to do the same to the Fazer too, esp as I use it for commuting, often late at night. Where / how have folks fitted them? (Yeah yeah, at the front, facing forward - I know... ;) )
If you have a boxeye with a two line braid hose kit then you will have a spare section under the lights where the old split brake bar was mounted. So a bracket across there perhaps.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2018, 09:18:50 am »
Just fitted a H4 Philips Extreme to my MT09, vast improvement.
Still got to fit a pair of Chinese Cree knock offs that I took off my FZ1s when I sold it,  got to make up some stainless brackets first. As others have said these make a world of difference, just one tip if you fit some, be careful how you angle them as you will blind everyone if they are angled to high.

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2018, 12:34:08 pm »
On the subject of led spots , what's the best/safest switched live to wire them into ?

hopefiendboy

• DAS Born Again
  • Second time Fazer owner- back to the womb
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - none
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2018, 04:40:56 pm »
If anyone has a link to some LED Cree lights they would recommend that would be superb! I was considering getting these ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01K19J0SM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2ZE2RPWV4P8G4&psc=1

Handily they come with a switch.

My plan was to have a relay linked to the front sidelight and wire a feed directly through the battery through this to the LEDs along with an inline fuse to make sure I couldnt run the battery flat when not switched on and also to give me independent control of the lights.

I will be mounting them to crash bars that sit a bit lower on the bike- pics to follow when I get round to it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2018, 06:58:42 pm »

I made some short straight bars out of bicycle handle bars.
Tight up under the front of the fuel tank is a infill frame strengthening web it has holes drilled through it so I fixed my mounting bars through them.
I hammered a 10mm bolt up the end of my bars so that the head was about 30mm inside the mounting bar then shoved some tissue up against the the top of the bolt hard from the other end and filled the 30mm with Araldite, this firmly fixed the bolts into place, the bars were then mounted through the web infill in the frame, to bung the other end of the bars I purchase some cheap and cheerful handle bar weights than mounted my Cree LED to the bars.

Some guys have mounted their LED spots to the radiator, the only problem wit this is if the bike get knocked over or falls over it will shag the rad big time and if that happens 30 miles from home you have got a long push ahead of you.     

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2018, 10:27:14 pm »
Hmm,  Tommy - this kind of approach I like. It strikes me that although it might not be quite as strong as mounting them direct to the frame there might also be scope for some crash bungs or similar on the ends of the bars (and with my recent track record every little helps...) - deffo worth further investigation...

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 April 2018, 08:06:41 pm »
Cheers for the replies boys, an easy upgrade sorted.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2018, 09:05:02 pm »

I made some short straight bars out of bicycle handle bars.
Tight up under the front of the fuel tank is a infill frame strengthening web it has holes drilled through it so I fixed my mounting bars through them.
I hammered a 10mm bolt up the end of my bars so that the head was about 30mm inside the mounting bar then shoved some tissue up against the the top of the bolt hard from the other end and filled the 30mm with Araldite, this firmly fixed the bolts into place, the bars were then mounted through the web infill in the frame, to bung the other end of the bars I purchase some cheap and cheerful handle bar weights than mounted my Cree LED to the bars.

Some guys have mounted their LED spots to the radiator, the only problem wit this is if the bike get knocked over or falls over it will shag the rad big time and if that happens 30 miles from home you have got a long push ahead of you.     
That is genius Tommy, do the bars go right through?

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 April 2018, 09:28:47 pm »
Have a look at this thread, http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,21527.0.html  , it might help.