Date: 23-04-24  Time: 14:29 pm

Author Topic: Fazer 1000 Gen 1 misfiring  (Read 4925 times)

took

• Cager in Training
  • Rev it till the red bit and enjoy
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fazer 1000 Gen 1 misfiring
« on: 18 April 2018, 08:28:40 pm »
Hi all, after a bit of help,

Went to play out tonight the 1000 wouldn't start, flat battery, flat enough to reset the time on the clocks so...i bumped it and got it going, now it is misfiring at low revs and has an erratic tick-over, when you rev it it fly's, revs all the way through on part or full throttle, when on the motorway it is hunting slightly, starts on the button now, any ideas anyone?
Owned over a hundred bikes and still going, bought my old Fazer 1000 back as should not have sold it in the first place

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer 1000 Gen 1 misfiring
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2018, 07:28:56 am »
Las it been laid up for some time? Could be anything

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2018, 10:43:07 am »
i bumped it and got it going, now it is misfiring at low revs and has an erratic tick-over,

Stop riding the bike now, your battery is fucked! Its not got enough charge to engerize the alternator and continued riding will potentially damage the regulator and alternator.

For a replacement battery, IMHO and from experience Motobat are the best - I go month between using the fazer and for me it has always started since the motobat was fitted.

took

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2018, 02:10:22 pm »
Thanks, its had a new battery four weeks ago, just checked it and its at 12.60v and when running 13.6v i was going to go down the route of new plugs clean leads and then dive into the carbs, blocked jet etc.

Looks like i may have to get another battery as well :eek
Owned over a hundred bikes and still going, bought my old Fazer 1000 back as should not have sold it in the first place

took

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2018, 02:28:46 pm »
Oh, can you charge a Moto batt with an optimate (glass fibre)?

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2018, 03:14:22 pm »
Got an alarm fitted? Usual suspect for battery draining when left for a while.

took

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2018, 03:45:34 pm »
Nope, no alarm, been on charge and its just fired first push, still got the misfire when ticking over

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2018, 06:30:04 pm »
Plugs or HT leads easy point to start at.... :'(

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2018, 08:50:05 am »
What does the battery drop to during cranking?

From the figures you give it sounds OK.

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2018, 03:15:34 pm »
  • Thanks, its had a new battery four weeks ago, just checked it and its at 12.60v and when running 13.6v
  • I was going to go down the route of new plugs clean leads and then dive into the carbs, blocked jet etc.

• When you measure the 13.6v, whats was the engine RPM -  I think the manual say measure with the engine at 4k rpm and you should see 14v. If you dont then you may have a bad earth(negative) someone on the charging circuit.
  • When was the last time the carbs were check or plugs changed..? whats the condition of the plugs..?
Taking the carbs of the Fazer is relatively easy (disconnect choke & throttle cables, remove battery, remove mounting bolts for airbox and move it back as far as it will go, then I personally pull the airbox rubbers (with plyers) back into the airbox so give me lots of space) - just be careful not to scratch your engine or frame.

But before you do any of the above, check the condition of the little rubber caps on the spigots coming of the top of all the inlet rubbers, if that of them are cracked or leaking this will cause said misfire/poor running -

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 April 2018, 07:34:58 am »
From what you say your battery seems fine. But check the connections, especially the earth and starter motor connections. Got my Fazer cheap cos previous owner was suffering from frequent flat battery which he kept on changing - turns out he had an auxiliary power outlet (cigarette lighter and usb point) permanently connected to the battery,; small residual drain from that when the bike was unused a few weeks was enough to flatten the battery.

And why do you ask about using an Optimate? Completely unnecessary imho........
when in doubt go flat out

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 April 2018, 05:19:15 pm »
Mine was misfiring yesterday. I found that the vacuum hose to the no 4 carb was missing the bund I put in it after the sis removal.

took

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 April 2018, 06:43:21 pm »
Thanks all, ordered a new battery and plugs (they have done 12k), i will also check the rubber caps and voltage at 4k revs, let you know how i get on.

took

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2018, 04:40:20 pm »
New Battery on still had the misfire, changed the plugs and it seems to have gone (one was rusty around the base), just need to get out and try it :)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2018, 06:07:02 pm »
changed the plugs and it seems to have gone (one was rusty around the base), just need to get out and try it
Ah good find, that would suggest that the plug cap was either not seated fully or is leaking letter water in.

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2018, 06:26:53 pm »
The standard plug caps are shit, run your bike in a totally dark garage and look at the plug caps. They arc all over the place, they are so bad my local yammy dealer was changing them as a matter of course at service time.

Jim.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2018, 07:16:31 pm »
The standard plug caps are shit, run your bike in a totally dark garage and look at the plug caps. They arc all over the place, they are so bad my local yammy dealer was changing them as a matter of course at service time.
I have owned several FZS1000 and I have never had an issue with the caps on any of them, are you sure the ones your talking about weren't contaminated in some way?  if that was my bike I would drop them in brake cleaner to full degrease them and then seal the tops (the the HT cables goes in) with silicon sealant.

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2018, 07:24:42 pm »
I'm on my 4th fazer and all but my latest one had issues with arcing, my current (geddit?) one isn't too bad at all. I've changed the caps on all 4 bikes and noticed an improvement when they are idling. The local Yamaha dealer used to fit jet ski plug caps as a matter of course when servicing them.

Jim.

took

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2018, 07:40:11 pm »
Update, been out and smooth as silk, back to normal, i forgot how quick the old fazer is,twist and go!

I should never have sold it in the first place  :lol