Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:55 pm

Author Topic: Any one else had this.  (Read 2067 times)

reaper1064

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Any one else had this.
« on: 18 April 2018, 05:22:47 pm »
Since I have owned the bike now and again going over a bump or pothole I get a solid bump through the bars. Nothing that put me in danger but bugging me. I have recently had new fork seals, uprated the fork oil, head and wheel bearings checked and all good. Any one had the same thing and sorted it, cheers.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Any one else had this.
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2018, 05:34:24 pm »
is it when braking? If so could be just the pads sliding in the calipers.
If not, it does sound like head bearings are not as good as you think
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2018, 06:13:31 pm »
really easy to stop that happening

avoid potholes :lol :lol :lol

reaper1064

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2018, 09:46:12 pm »
New pads and calipers cleaned, will get the head bearings looked at again, cheers/

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2018, 10:52:22 pm »
I had a really minor 'knock' on mine. MOT guy couldn't diagnose and said too minor for an advisory. I thought it could be any of the above, so did a complete fork service (seals and oil), (check the cap heads are tight on the bottom end of the forks). New and correctly adjusted head bearings sorted it! Yours might just need tightening.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2018, 11:07:56 pm »
Since I have owned the bike now and again going over a bump or pothole I get a solid bump through the bars. Nothing that put me in danger but bugging me. I have recently had new fork seals, uprated the fork oil, head and wheel bearings checked and all good. Any one had the same thing and sorted it, cheers.

What oil did you put in the forks, might seem a funny question th ask but if it was to thick or not proper fork oil it could be a form of hydro lock when hitting fast bumps, I don't mean hitting them at speed, but the way the forks have to respond to a sharp or sudden compression.

Just a thought.
But most likely as others have said steering head bearings
« Last Edit: 18 April 2018, 11:10:05 pm by tommyardin »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2018, 06:52:43 am »

What oil did you put in the forks, might seem a funny question th ask but if it was to thick or not proper fork oil it could be a form of hydro lock when hitting fast bumps, I don't mean hitting them at speed, but the way the forks have to respond to a sharp or sudden compression.

Just a thought.
But most likely as others have said steering head bearings

Add to that, did you put enough oil in, there are 2 measurements, one for 98/99 bikes without the fork adjusters, then another lesser level for 00-03 bikes that have adjusters?

Or just to be different, my bike has 98/99 forks on a 2000 model.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

reaper1064

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2018, 08:28:01 am »
Hi guys put 15w in the forks and the issue was there before the work was done. It's weird because my mate who did the work, a cracking bike mechanic by the way, couldn't find any issues withe the bearings. This said it wouldn't hurt getting them tightened a little.

daviee

« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2018, 06:24:39 pm »
over tight head bearing is a no no will kill the handleing of the bike  so dont just tighten them for the sake of it

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2018, 06:42:43 pm »
Have you ever had them out? In my experience the manufacturers never use enough grease and often they are dry. Not necessarily to cause a knock, more stiffness. You can grease them without dismantling the front end completely, obviously the stem nut and adjusters need to come off along with the yokes undone but drop them down an inch and gob a good dollop of grease in. Then adjust up and try. To check them beforehand you need a jack or a helper to push down on the rear with it on the centre stand. Give them a good wobble back and forward and check for play.

reaper1064

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2018, 10:08:23 pm »
Thanks for your help lads, will get the bearings looked at again as I am leaning towards this being the issue, may just by a new set and fit them just to besure.

reaper1064

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2018, 08:55:48 pm »
Just an update on my little issue, thanks to the replies I had a closer look at the bearings again with a friend and he could feel movement in them, not a lot but enough to cause the problem I had. Thanks for all the advice lads. probably would still be running round in circles trying to sort it out.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 April 2018, 09:47:41 pm »
Hopefully be sorted soon 😀

reaper1064

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 April 2018, 10:37:29 pm »
Yup sent for them Thurs arrived this morning so fingers crossed have them in soon.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 April 2018, 11:23:44 pm »
If the old bearing is worn out a new one will make the steering feel like a new bike. You don't notice how bad the old one is until you put a new one in. A bit like putting new tyres on :lol