Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:41 pm

Author Topic: Multi relay clicking  (Read 1537 times)

jaywas

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Multi relay clicking
« on: 18 April 2018, 05:52:16 pm »
First day off in ages with good weather so thought I'd give me and the Fazer an 'airing'.  Switched on the ignition had the fuel pump prime and then the neutral light went out and heard a 'clicking from under the left side panel and the neutral flicked on and off in sequence with the clicks.  Took the panel off and traced this to a multi plug relay about the size of a box of matches - 3EN-81950-00 along the top. Anyone else had an experience with this? :'(

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: Multi relay clicking
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2018, 07:16:07 pm »
not seen this happen before but to start i would clean the contacts going into the relay - will do a bit of digging later on when i can and see what i can find
(im assuming it is in neutral when it is flashing and not flashing when in gear)

jaywas

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2018, 07:43:54 pm »
Nope. bike was in neutral. All contacts nice and clean.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2018, 07:44:51 pm »
How well charged/voltage is your battery. :) 

jaywas

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2018, 07:48:31 pm »
Battery showing fully charged according to the optimate.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2018, 07:51:42 pm »
it sounds like a resistance issue between positive feed and the relay so my assumption would be on the neutral switch - i wouldnt worry about it for now as you said the bike was to have an 'airing' so i am to guess its not ran in a while - get her out on the road and have some fun and let us know if it is still playing up, after the gears have moved around a few times it might suddenly stop happening

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2018, 09:11:14 pm »
Is it not starting at all? If there's a problem with the neutral switch it should still start with the clutch pulled in so you can try that as a quick test. Have you got a multimeter? As punk said there could be an issue on the positive of the control side of the relay which is the Red/Black wire. You should have battery voltage on the Red/Black wire at the relay with the ignition on. You can test that by connecting the red lead of your multimeter to the Red/Black wire and the black lead to any ground. You should see 12V with the ignition on. If you don't then it could be a problem with the Red/Black wire itself like corrosion or a break, or it could be a problem in the kill switch on the handlebar or the ignition fuse, the ignition, the main fuse or the terminal could be loose on the battery. If you do have 12V at that Red/Black you can test the relay itself. There's a procedure on page 8-16 of the workshop manual. You take the relay out and connect the + side of the battery to red/black terminal on the relay and the - side of the battery to the black/yellow terminal and test for continuity between black/white terminal and black terminal. There's a wiring diagram on the last page of the workshop manual. Item 9 is the relay

jaywas

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2018, 09:48:59 pm »
As soon as you switch the ignition on the relay starts to click and the neutral light flashes on and off in unison with the clicking, the starter doesn't even turn the engine over. I will check with a multimeter tomorrow. Cheers guys.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2018, 10:20:58 pm »
When it's clicking check if that Red/Black wire is staying at a constant 12V or is it going up and down. Do that by touching the red lead of your meter to red/black and black of the meter to battery - . It should stay at 12V. You could also check the ground side of the relay by touching red of the meter to battery + and black of the meter to black/yellow of the relay you should see a constant 12V as long as it's in neutral or the clutch is pulled in. If both readings are staying at 12V while the relay is clicking and your battery is good then I'd be leaning towards the relay being the issue. You can do that continuity test on the relay. The old saying start with the easiest thing first is the best though. Check fuses, battery is charged, battery connections are tight, give the key a wiggle then go from there

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2018, 10:30:03 pm »
just had a thought as we here about flashing and we think instantly of indicator speed - you havent by any chance got one or more of those silly fuses with the led to tell you its broken in do you
i did once upon a time and this happened
https://youtu.be/qQ3LK1O4vHM?t=3m57s

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2018, 10:55:37 pm »
Hah that was a funny end to your video :lol I've never seen those led fuse holder before. Another one to check I wonder could he have two wires melted together or two pins in a connector melted together. The indicator relay is near that cut off relay isn't it? The joys of wiring :lol