Date: 19-03-24  Time: 06:24 am

Author Topic: Whatever Happened to CH Biggadike?  (Read 33357 times)

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Whatever Happened to CH Biggadike?
« on: 17 April 2018, 09:22:38 am »
This used to be my nearest Yamaha dealer and one of the decreasing number of "family run" businesses in the area.

It was located on Westlode Street in Spalding. I'd not been there for a number of years, as I enjoyed the rides to Webb's at Eye/Peterbohorror and they have a good burger stand and community visiting at weekends, as well as all the other biking gubbins they have on display, besides bikes.

Last Sunday I decided to head over to Biggadike's and see what they have in stock, but found an empty building. According to Google, Yell and all the other internet references the place is still there and still in business, but this is obviously not the case.

Anyone know what happened to the business - have they moved or closed down permanently? I hope not - they are, or were, actually the closest Yamaha dealership (maybe Webb took the local franchise when they opened the Eye showroom?). Okay, Peterbog is not that far away - about 35 miles - but I have to admit, I'm very disappointed at the rapid decline of motorbike dealers in the area. Especially the local, family and friendly types that you could pop into for a cup of tea and a good chat about your favourite passtime.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever Happened to CH Biggadike?
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2018, 11:53:00 am »
Your last sentence answers your question, you cannot run a motorcycle  business when all your customers want is a pot of tea and a chat, they need to spend money on parts etc so you can make an operatjng profit.

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2018, 04:42:12 pm »
I can't speak for other people, but I get the pot of tea and chat when I go in to buy parts :)

g5guzzi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - cbf 1000fa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2018, 10:17:33 pm »
Biggadike's has been closed for a long while. They had Yamaha and Suzuki agency's
I think they lost the Yamaha agency or let it go when Yamaha started making to many demands
on how many bikes they had to stock and sell. I don't know what happened to Suzuki but probably
the same. Clive tried selling accessories for a while then i went there one day and it was all shut down.
  A few years later i opened our door for a Sainsbury's  delivery and there was Clive part time delivery
driver and i think selling a few bike bits on the internet.
Malc

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2018, 09:52:00 am »
Wow - thanks for letting me know. That's a real shame. The only local dealer I know who everything turned out well for is Couplands (Jim) in Frithville. All the others went down the pan in one way or another. RA Wilson is still going in Kirton, but it's a big comedown from a large showroom to now selling from a back yard. I don't know what's happening to Wildman's in Spilsby, either, but he's denying rumours that he has had to sell up.

At least there is Webbs at Lincoln and Peterbog, but as mentioned, they aren't exactly close - I'll have a ride out on Sunday and look at the new Trumpets.

There's plenty of parts and service places around, though, on the bright side.

g5guzzi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - cbf 1000fa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2018, 11:45:12 pm »
Sam Couplands didn't last very long after Jim sold it. In case you didnt know Jim is running his own
machining / engineering  business. R A Wilson is back in the premises where originally he started out.

Malc

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2018, 09:22:27 am »
Yes, I knew Couplands didn't last long after Jim 'retired' (so he told me when he was still doing the MOTs) but glad to hear he's doing well. I didn't really know the guy who ran it after Jim, but it was a completely different style and not as cosy or welcoming, I thought.

I bought my very first proper bike from Wilson's, 22 years ago - a 1 year old GPZ500S, which blew my mind with its 'turbo' effect at 8,000rpm, after riding two-up on my skinny TZR-125R for months (bought from Slipstream at Skeggy - who seem to be still doing okay).

There was another place in Skeggy, down the precinct, which sold classic bikes. By 'classic' I mean real retros - CB250 and 350s and that sort of thing. I think they are still going, too - sure I saw an ad in the local paper recently. I must have another ride up to Skeggy, it's years since I've been there. Since the Mrs stopped riding pillion after we got knocked off the bike, I don't get around anywhere near as much as I used to.

g5guzzi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - cbf 1000fa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2018, 09:55:54 pm »
If you are going to skeggy it is Skegness bike night on 19th of July
Malc

JD-LincsUK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2018, 10:25:12 am »
Didn't know that was on - thanks for the heads-up. I'll try and persuade the Mrs to come along - won't be easy, but ya never know.