Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

FZS600 valve train noise/camchain

(1/7) > >>

Ministras:
Hello everybody, not so long ago i bought a Yamaha FZS 600 as a first bike. Being a complete novice to motorcycles i started reading about basic maintenance and stuff and i ran across valve clearance, which should be done at every 40k km on my bike. Seeing as my bike has 32k km on it, in a country thats famous for reversing odometers i started hearing sounds.

https://youtu.be/ImyeOKCOwRs

Now is it all in my head, or do i have to prepare for adjusting the valve clearance, replacing camshaft(based on the other sources i have found)? Power seems good(havent pushed it too much), there are no hiccups, and it idles fairly well as the previous owner didnt winterize the fuel. Thanks in advance.

His Dudeness:
It's most likely cam chain noise not valve noise. Fazers have automatic cam chain tensioners and the tensioner sometimes takes a while to advance and take up the slack in the cam chain which creates the noise you're hearing. It is generally normal and they all have some level of that noise. If you're lucky that's all that is happening and you just ride on and the tensioner will advance by itself and the noise will go away or you might be unlucky and the cam chain is worn and the tensioner has already advanced as far as it can and the chain needs to be replaced. You can either ride on and keep listening if the noise is getting worse or if it goes away or you can take the tensioner out and visually inspect how far it has advanced by counting how many notches of adjustment are left on it and that will tell you if the chain is worn out. If you do have to replace the chain there's two way to do it one is to use an endless chain but this requires a full engine strip, the other is to use a rivet chain where you attached the new chain to the old one and pull it through the engine and rivet it together.

Ministras:
Thanks for the answer. Just scared to ruin my first bike for not spotting something sooner :)

daviee:
I would be looking to get that checked sound very loud in tbe video and could possibly be a big end starting to fail just my thoughts on hearing it in the video if it was the cam chain it tends to get less niose when you rev it but that just gets faster as the revs rise

psyfi_1:
fazer do always have a bit of cam chain noise they are known for it but  hes right check cam chain tensioner first see if its extended all the way if so look at getting a rivet chain its easier to put in

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version