Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:38 am

Author Topic: Strange noise :/  (Read 3178 times)

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
Strange noise :/
« on: 13 April 2018, 10:47:47 pm »
Hey i today I went for a little blast and noticed and strange whining noise coming from the front sprocket area that changes in pitch with speed , I can hear it above 40 onwards , do I need to worry or could this just be worn chain and sprockets ?

Chain looks fine because i clean and oil regularly.

Worried about a gearbox issue but the noise stays the same with clutch in or out

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: Strange noise :/
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2018, 10:56:17 pm »
i have a clicking from going down to that 14t on the front and wrecking the chain - im just going with a new chain this weekend if tool arrives
when did you last replace yours?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2018, 10:58:28 pm »
i say clicking but what i really mean is an unnerving clunking and as the last chain flung its link i am not taking that risk again as i was only doing about 20 at that time but 5 mins earlier was racing a mate at 110+ (close call much)

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2018, 11:32:16 pm »
I went up to the 16t last summer so don't think it's a sprocket issue , I'll try the old 15t and see if it makes a difference on Sunday, chain is about 2 years old with 8000 (there abouts) on it, well looked after and adjusted correctly. Fingers crossed Its as simple as that

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2018, 11:40:11 pm »

Hey i today I went for a little blast and noticed and strange whining noise coming from the front sprocket area that changes in pitch with speed , I can hear it above 40 onwards , do I need to worry or could this just be worn chain and sprockets ?

Chain looks fine because i clean and oil regularly.

Worried about a gearbox issue but the noise stays the same with clutch in or out

Hi Matt you say noise stays the same with the clutch lever pulled in or with it out, are you talking about still rolling along? I.e: free wheeling. If you are the whole drive train is still turning, so if it is a noise from the sprocket/chain/gearbox output shaft you will still hear it as the whole of that drive train is being dragged round by the momentum of wheels rotating on road rather than being driven around by the engine. But rotation is rotation no matter what causes it.

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2018, 11:44:30 pm »
Yer freewheeling is what I mean,  really hope it's not the gearbox 

daviee

« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2018, 07:16:35 am »
wont be the gearbox make sure the roller part  of the chain is well lubed with a decent chain lube , also make sure the chain aint too tight if so that causes noise , put it on the centre stand and run it up through the gears you will hear it better no doubt it will be the chain people tend not to realise how noisy they are

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2018, 08:23:28 am »
Have you touched the rear wheel recently at all, as in done any work whatsoever?

And, yes, you need to  worry right now, 'cos it ain't normal, if it wasn't there before then something is certainly not right!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2018, 09:04:56 am »
i say clicking but what i really mean is an unnerving clunking and as the last chain flung its link i am not taking that risk again as i was only doing about 20 at that time but 5 mins earlier was racing a mate at 110+ (close call much)

It popped off the hollow rivet master link? That's bloody scary! Do you know if it was definitely riveted properly?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2018, 10:32:06 am »
not sure it just made a unholy racket so i pulled over on outskirts of town and noticed the chain was slack as fuck - limped into town so i could get my hands on tools and saw the link had bent to 45 degrees
my guess is the flare on the link wasnt done right by the last guy or even worse he used a u clip style link (was a newish bike to me)

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2018, 02:56:27 pm »
Have you touched the rear wheel recently at all, as in done any work whatsoever?

And, yes, you need to  worry right now, 'cos it ain't normal, if it wasn't there before then something is certainly not right!
I have had the wheel off for cleaning swing arm and rebuilding re caliper, everything went back on properly though, the sound is definatly coming from the front sprocket area I'll try a get it on film tomorrow  ( work all day and night tonight )

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2018, 03:01:44 pm »

I have had the wheel off for cleaning swing arm and rebuilding re caliper, everything went back on properly though, the sound is definatly coming from the front sprocket area I'll try a get it on film tomorrow  ( work all day and night tonight )

If you have the wheel off chances are you may have put it back on at a very slightly different position than it has been. This can cause friction on the plastic chain guide causing a buzzing noise until it beds in again, it will go away after a while.

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2018, 03:36:58 pm »

If you have the wheel off chances are you may have put it back on at a very slightly different position than it has been. This can cause friction on the plastic chain guide causing a buzzing noise until it beds in again, it will go away after a while.
The sounds doesn't seem that far back though, seems to come from right behind sprocket cover, I'll check out the guide tomorrow when I have another listen , I'll put the bike on centre stand with my small bike jack supporting the rear from bouncing and wind it up so you guys can hear it

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2018, 04:31:15 pm »

The sounds doesn't seem that far back though, seems to come from right behind sprocket cover, I'll check out the guide tomorrow when I have another listen , I'll put the bike on centre stand with my small bike jack supporting the rear from bouncing and wind it up so you guys can hear it

What i'm on about is near the front sprocket cover.
It's actually called a chain slider.

« Last Edit: 14 April 2018, 04:38:54 pm by darrsi »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 April 2018, 05:52:41 pm »
ok so i got my new chain on today and i had the wine coming from the front as it had before but still the clicking at the back aswell
turns out the chain was fine and the sprocket carrier bearing had absolutly shit the bed

the seals had gone and it filled with shite
« Last Edit: 14 April 2018, 05:53:22 pm by Disorderlypunk »

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 April 2018, 06:10:48 pm »
ok so i got my new chain on today and i had the wine coming from the front as it had before but still the clicking at the back aswell
turns out the chain was fine and the sprocket carrier bearing had absolutly shit the bed

the seals had gone and it filled with shite
Proper shit the bed! I got a full set of bearings to fit soon front and rear , mine look ok but I'm just eliminating sources , I'll be interested to see if your whine is the same as mine at the front sprocket

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2018, 09:50:26 am »
So I think it's cured now, slightly over tightened and worn chain I talk about it here skip to 2:10 https://youtu.be/DD3pGEyLhCc