Date: 16-04-24  Time: 05:43 am

Author Topic: Downpipes  (Read 3170 times)

ZakG95

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Downpipes
« on: 13 April 2018, 03:47:07 pm »
Hi, just wondering if anyone is selling any downpipes for fzs600. The top of one of mine has rotted away and I can’t find a single set for sale on eBay other than the new stainless ones but I don’t want to spend that kind of money at the moment just want a quick fix so I can keep on riding.
Thanks in advance

daviee

Re: Downpipes
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2018, 04:06:31 pm »
rarer than hens teeth but they do come up every now and  then but if your in a hurry then bite the bullit and buy new 180 aint that much for what you get the biggest problem is  the  studs snapping thats when it can become an engine out job to repair depending on what ones snap so you have to budget for that aswell personally the way i would do it if you cant get use of a gas welding torch to roast then an i  mean cherry red not a  gas pipe torch thats not hot enough , if you cant get use of that the cut it off also cut the flanges to expose the nuts on the studs then use a nut splitter to get the nuts off then clean up the studs and use new nuts   

ZakG95

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2018, 10:06:04 pm »
It’s funny you should mention snapping the studs because I’ve done exactly that! Managed to get all of them out bar one, luckily it’s at the end so I think I’ll get away with not dropping the engine just have to be careful when removing. Thanks for the reply, think I’ll just have to buy a new set like you say.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2018, 10:59:39 pm »
i snapped 6 out of the 8 as mine were absolutly rusted to shite
its just a head off job not a complete engine drop so its not too bad - the worst part of it for me was getting the airbox and carb out
also the head only wanted to come out in one direction for some reason

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2018, 11:59:23 pm »
I had one snap when I replaced my headers a few years ago, mine was the centre one on pot two. Fortunately the stud snapped leaving about 8 mm of stud poking out of the head.
I had soaked them for 3 or 4 days evening and morning with plus gas release spray, but still snapped one, I had also used a gas blow lamp on them before trying.

How I got mine out without dropping the engine was to go through the header pipes with a 5mm socket on a extention bar it allowed me th strike the end of the extention bar with a claw hammer driving the 5mm socket down onto the stud, I kept tap tap tapping it until the socket was touching the head, gave it a final blast of plusgas put the ratchet on the end of the extention and applied pressure and with a crack it came undone. The material from the 6mm stud completely filled the 5mm socket and it acted like a nut in the socket.
I honestly believe the tapping of the socket over the stud also played a part as did the plus gas.
I never managed to remove the broken stud from the socket, but  few bob for a 5mm socket a cheap price for not having to drop the lump out of the frame
« Last Edit: 18 April 2018, 12:02:02 am by tommyardin »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2018, 12:03:10 am »
wish that had been an option for me but unfortunatly the studs were rusted so much there was nothing to put a new nut onto either so needed to put new studs on

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2018, 12:10:39 am »
I put plenty of copper slip on the stud nuts when I put the new headers on and each year I remove the nuts one at a time and re copper slip them, they have always come undo easily each year. Although I have stainless steel nuts on steel ordinary steel studs so galling or cold welding will not happen.
Mind you I will probably never have to remove the headers again as the are stainless, so no corrosion issues.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2018, 07:37:55 am »
Hi, just wondering if anyone is selling any downpipes for fzs600. The top of one of mine has rotted away and I can’t find a single set for sale on eBay other than the new stainless ones but I don’t want to spend that kind of money at the moment just want a quick fix so I can keep on riding.
Thanks in advance

I've got some stainless steel headers with one clamp missing as some tit (me) managed to over tighten or not seat the pipe properly and snapped the clamp on no.1 cylinder. If you've got a welder and some steal or better yet a mate with a welder and steal it should be an easy fix.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2018, 11:04:44 am »
Search on here as there are those who have removed snapped studs in situ. A couple of years ago I bit the bullet and removed my stud nuts to make sure I could before I had an emergency and had to change the exhaust. But I did not touch them until weeks of applying penetrating oil very carefully with a small syringe and a blunt needle so I could precisely place it in front and behind the clamp. I used a product called Kroil which I found very hard to get hold of but it is used for cleaning guns and gets its name from Kreeping Oil -Kroil.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2018, 04:53:06 pm »
Thanks in advance

I've got some stainless steel headers with one clamp missing as some tit (me) managed to over tighten or not seat the pipe properly and snapped the clamp on no.1 cylinder. If you've got a welder and some steal or better yet a mate with a welder and steal it should be an easy fix.

You can get two part clamps like these https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-GPZ1000RX-EXHAUST-HEADER-CLAMPS-1986-GPZ-ENGINE/183117698437?hash=item2aa2aa5585:g:yqgAAOSwcjhaon0M but would have to check pipe diameter and stud spacing to get the right size

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2018, 08:15:08 pm »
if you want to check out those split two part clamps and they work you are welcome to my headers as they're only taking up space. I'm happy to measure the pipes and clamps if want just let me know
« Last Edit: 18 April 2018, 08:19:43 pm by Triggergee »

ZakG95

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 April 2018, 01:25:17 pm »
if you want to check out those split two part clamps and they work you are welcome to my headers as they're only taking up space. I'm happy to measure the pipes and clamps if want just let me know

Thanks for the offer mate, if i had been on earlier i would have snapped your hand off but ive ordered a stainless steel set now :lol

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 April 2018, 07:07:08 pm »

You can get two part clamps like these https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-GPZ1000RX-EXHAUST-HEADER-CLAMPS-1986-GPZ-ENGINE/183117698437?hash=item2aa2aa5585:g:yqgAAOSwcjhaon0M but would have to check pipe diameter and stud spacing to get the right size

I did investigate that possibility a few years ago, but the GPZ1000/900/500 all have much fatter pipes so the clamps won’t suit the FZS600.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2018, 09:02:17 am »
I do the copper slip thing mentioned above, after snapping two studs and fitting a new head. I literally paint them with the stuff and it bakes on as a coating. I can screw them on/off with a 10mm screwdriver/socket.

There are plenty of people breaking bikes, I'm surprised you can't find a second hand set with a bit of life left in them for under £100?!
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2018, 10:14:28 am »
I do the copper slip thing mentioned above, after snapping two studs and fitting a new head. I literally paint them with the stuff and it bakes on as a coating. I can screw them on/off with a 10mm screwdriver/socket.

There are plenty of people breaking bikes, I'm surprised you can't find a second hand set with a bit of life left in them for under £100?!
Problem is £100 with a bit of life in them or £170 stainless steel brand new - if as Zak says he doesn't want to spend  a lot.
I am getting by with filling a couple of holes in the collector box for now but have had all the nuts of and on again with coper slip in readiness for a stainless steel set.

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 May 2018, 12:52:05 pm »
 :thumbup