Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:07 am

Author Topic: Track FZS600  (Read 4109 times)

more11o

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - GSX-R 750
    • View Profile
Track FZS600
« on: 08 April 2018, 01:10:12 pm »
Hello all,

I have decided to convert my boxeye fzs600 into a dedicated track bike. She was originally purchased as my first bike but as all first bikes do eventually found herself sliding down the road.
Ever since she had been sat in my garage having replaced her after the 'fall'. I discovered the track last year and after a few trackdays had visions of doing the same again on my shiny road bike and thought i'd put the old girl to good use.
She's almost completely standard; she has upgraded front pads, Black Widow downpipes and a Renthal bar. Despite this i still managed a fairly consistent ~2:05 around Cadwell on the 5th.
Over the winter a friend stripped her down including the engine, replaced the head and made sure she wouldn't go pop on her first outing. As you will see below there's already been some bodywork stripping too.
The idea behind this is that if i can learn to be quick on a bike like this then i can be quick on whatever will replace her when she dies as well as all my track craft.

Planned upgrades are:
  • Replace the bar with clip ons
  • R6 front radial brake master cylinder
  • Braided brake lines
  • Linear fork springs & 15w oil
  • Upgraded rear shock spring / new monoshock
  • Adjust the footpegs without spending £300 on rearsets ( already grounding the pegs)
  • Pod filters and jets
  • Replace the standard exhaust can
  • Any weight savings as and when
  • Magically easy way of fitting a 180 rear (please?)
  • Replace the clocks with just a tachometer and oil + neutral lights
I'm not looking to spend a fortune, just to make her better for the track. She wont see the road again, just lots of tracktime.
Any advice is always welcome. I have been looking around here for the past month taking in advice but i thought it was time to document the upcoming changes to the the bike and to get advice that doesn't have to include how something performs on our bumpy roads and being comfortable whilst doing it.

https://i.imgur.com/qzq9RoW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wZIxBrL.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7oJXhCC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KSL6Lbe.jpg

I shall update my progress as it occurs  :)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: Track FZS600
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2018, 01:51:02 pm »
if you go with pods for a track bike you will want to be hitting the dyno to make sure it is perfect (mine aint yet)
but as its for a track maybe consider using ram pipes with filter socks as going basic pod creates some issues with air turbulance

im keeping my eye out for oem rearsets that will fit the fazer and look good so will let you know if i find something
(i get strange looks at devils bridge as i walk around measuring peoples rearsets lol but its free and easy)

more11o

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - GSX-R 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2018, 02:00:33 pm »
I have seen our youtube video on it and the very old post on here, I hadn't thought of that idea though. It's not first on the list as i think getting the suspension right will yield better results than chasing power.

I had seen these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS-600-Fazer-1998-Vario-23mm-Adjustable-Front-Footrests-Foot-Peg/261639429459?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649the 30mm option at 45 degreeswould equate to a 21.2mm raise and same again back; 23mm option is 16.2mm. I might have to adjust the brake leaver and gear selector too due to the added distance.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2018, 02:12:01 pm »
nice easy option that, i like it
easy enough to change the levers length as long as you have a grinder and welder - if you shorten them they would have extra benefits aswell as you would have to shift less distance with your foot between gears so quicker shifting
foot force on the brake would slightly increase aswell and that can be both a good and a bad thing but easy to adjust to like anything

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2018, 07:07:31 pm »
Does taking off the fairing make the bike faster on the track? I guess there's an argument to be made for the weight reduction.

sgpwwg

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2018, 04:19:49 pm »
Taking the Fazer on track is a great idea and an ideal way to understand how get the most out of the bike.
For raising the footpegs I had some simple risers made that raised the footpegs by 50mm, this a more than enough and I am now hitting the left engine case when really trying. The only issue I had was I had to move the rear brake reservoir up and trim the main pipe shorter.
A 180 tyre is not worth the hassle go for a set of 120/160 Pirelli Supercorsas and you'll be amazed by the grip they offer.
I have also converted mine to race shift with a "Rearsets Reverse Shift Kit for Ninja 250R" from Ebay and a couple of Rose Joints.
Getting the engine running spot on will help but the Fazer is so good in the braking area you can make up a lot of what you loose in speed on the straights.
My old 98 Fazer has 88k miles on will still hit an indicated 138 at Bedford with a fairing and a rack.
Let us know which track days you are going to do, as I have only been on track with one other Fazer in the last 4 years.

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2018, 12:14:06 pm »
Would it be better to tidy up your bike and sell it, then put the funds towards a more potent sports bike that's going to offer greater performance/returns on the track?

Even before you start, the Fazer engine is restricted (factory stock), taken from their mildly tuned Thundercat (which is still no R1 or R6).

There's plenty of "bike projects" on FleaBay. ;)

EDIT: Should you pursue the track route with your Fazer, I'd be interested to learn what performance tweaks you employ, however I still imagine you'll be left feeling frustrated, being outpaced by most true Sports bikes.  :o
« Last Edit: 12 April 2018, 12:50:27 pm by focced_off »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2018, 08:49:57 pm »
Would it be better to tidy up your bike and sell it, then put the funds towards a more potent sports bike that's going to offer greater performance/returns on the track?

Even before you start, the Fazer engine is restricted (factory stock), taken from their mildly tuned Thundercat (which is still no R1 or R6).

There's plenty of "bike projects" on FleaBay. ;)

EDIT: Should you pursue the track route with your Fazer, I'd be interested to learn what performance tweaks you employ, however I still imagine you'll be left feeling frustrated, being outpaced by most true Sports bikes.  :o

I should think his GSXR750 is already potent enough. Im guessing he doesnt want to risk binning it on the track, so is trying to create something that wont be such a loss if it goes down. Or it may be that he wants to practice track riding and build up confidence before tracking the gixxer

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2018, 04:23:14 pm »
The original Post (plus thread so far) made no mention about a GSXR750 - so I wasn't to know!?? will go crawl back under my rock.  ;)

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2018, 05:39:42 pm »
The original Post (plus thread so far) made no mention about a GSXR750 - so I wasn't to know!?? will go crawl back under my rock.  ;)

Here's a clue haha

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2018, 08:35:08 pm »
im so glad you did that and not me - i was so tempted but im starting to realise i am getting a bit sarcastic in my old age

-im only 35 so i can only get worse

daviee

« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2018, 08:52:22 pm »
35 lol  try it at 51 lol

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 April 2018, 09:13:18 pm »
and thats why i restrained and you didnt lol  :lol

daviee

« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2018, 09:16:05 pm »
lol can still pull a mean wheelie lol

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 April 2018, 02:31:17 pm »

But it wasn't daviee that pointed out the GSXR reference (with a magnified X50 size screenshot), that was Triggergee !!  :lol

Unless daviee just fcuked up, and it was him, the same person using multiple FOC-U Forum accounts. lol. Perhaps a Scooter would be safer bet (MOBILITY Scooter).  :lol

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2018, 03:18:00 pm »

But it wasn't daviee that pointed out the GSXR reference (with a magnified X50 size screenshot), that was Triggergee !!  :lol

Unless daviee just fcuked up, and it was him, the same person using multiple FOC-U Forum accounts. lol. Perhaps a Scooter would be safer bet (MOBILITY Scooter).  :lol

yep your right - i didnt notice that lol

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2018, 06:54:00 pm »
I can confidently confirm I am not daviee  :lol  Was the magnification a bit much? Trouble is I start off a bit shy but the longer I'm in a community the more of a piss taker I become. Hope it doesn't get worse with age, only 29  :eek

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 April 2018, 07:18:25 pm »
I can confidently confirm I am not daviee  :lol  Was the magnification a bit much? Trouble is I start off a bit shy but the longer I'm in a community the more of a piss taker I become. Hope it doesn't get worse with age, only 29  :eek

bad news - IT GETS WORSE
im 35 and already pretty bad
and i will let daviee's post speak for themselves on how it gets worse with age lol

(i will prob be banned after the spring meet for taking the piss)